Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:18:30 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Who would win: 1972 Dolphins or 2017 Browns
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Who would win?
1972 Dolphins   -6 (54.5%)
2017 Browns   -5 (45.5%)
Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Who would win: 1972 Dolphins or 2017 Browns  (Read 1837 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: December 12, 2017, 05:06:21 pm »

Discuss.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 05:18:10 pm »

https://www.whatifsports.com/locker/
Well the 2016 Browns vs the 1972 Dolphins.... Lips Sealed

I'm curious,Like the 1972 team at their current age....Uhh...The 2017 Browns...All the same age...Shrugs shoulders,I have a hard time with generational comparison.Different game,different era type thing.

The best player in the 1960's, wouldn't his game be different if he grew up to play the modern game? If he trained like a modern athlete,would he even be the same player? I just don't know.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 06:39:41 pm »

Athletes at their prime vs out of shape senior citizens.  Wouldn't be close.  Heck I doubt the 72 Dolphins at their current age could keep up with a semi decent high school team.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 10:29:51 pm »

https://www.whatifsports.com/locker/
Well the 2016 Browns vs the 1972 Dolphins.... Lips Sealed

I'm curious,Like the 1972 team at their current age....Uhh...The 2017 Browns...All the same age...Shrugs shoulders,I have a hard time with generational comparison.Different game,different era type thing.

The best player in the 1960's, wouldn't his game be different if he grew up to play the modern game? If he trained like a modern athlete,would he even be the same player? I just don't know.

No way this could be seriously asking about the Dolphins at their current age, some of them need walking frames - sarcasm is one thing but that's just plain ridiculous!

As for teams of the 60s/70s vs now, as I have mentioned in other threads it's impossible to compare - it's virtually impossible to compare them to teams of the 80s/90s too for that matter. Teams have progressed through the decades to be far more professional, faster and stronger, and even though the '72 Phins may have been at the cutting edge (or even ahead) of their time it's hard to imagine how good they could be now with modern training regimes.

Also, the rules were drastically different back then too. Wide receivers were mugged or put to sleep before they even got near the ball, and it was almost a free licence to hit the Quarterbacks in the head and incredibly late compared to now. Today's quarterbacks wouldn't get remotely close to the passing stats they put up, they would have trouble just surviving the whole season! On the other hand, receivers like Paul Warfield, Lynn Swann & John Stallworth would be accumulating numbers for catches, touchdowns & yardage that would be hard to top.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 09:56:49 am »

To clarify, you'd take the team as they were then and transport them to a neutral location for the game.  You can choose the variation of rule set that works best for whatever side you choose -- I realize that they're different rule variations, but I don't think it would affect the outcome.

I'm saying to take the 72 Phins, as they were, and have them face the 17 Browns, as they are.  Who wins?

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 10:06:33 am »

If the 72 team, as they were, played the Cleveland Browns of today they would get crushed. Athletes are bigger, faster and have much better knowledge of the game today. As well ... just because Cleveland is at the bottom they are still competing many times. There isn't a ton of difference between top to medicocre to bad nfl teams.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 10:31:05 am »

CF is spot on...the difference in athletic ability between 1972 and 2017 is just ridiculous. The winless Brownies would absolutely destroy Miami in this scenario.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 10:42:39 am »

Yeah, I'm going to go with what CF said too.  Today's athletes are so superior to those of the early 70's that it would be a slaughter.  Although, it is really unfair to the 72 Fins to even compare them to NFL teams today.  That is like comparing Jesse Owens of the 1936 Olympics to today's elite track stars. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 11:26:34 am »

^ This is the correct answer.

The Browns would destroy them.  The size of the linemen alone is crazy.  I was looking at some stats.  Even HOF guys like Nick Buonticonti...he's on the edge of acceptable linebacker size for today's NFL, but he'd literally be smaller than every other LB on the Browns roster.  The line is worse.  The guys are now like 100 lbs heavier and 4 inches taller.

It would be a blood-bath.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 11:28:43 am »

^ This is the correct answer.

The Browns would destroy them.  The size of the linemen alone is crazy.  I was looking at some stats.  Even HOF guys like Nick Buonticonti...he's on the edge of acceptable linebacker size for today's NFL, but he'd literally be smaller than every other LB on the Browns roster.  The line is worse.  The guys are now like 100 lbs heavier and 4 inches taller.

It would be a blood-bath.
You can't measure the size of one's heart. I think it would be a lot closer than you might think. If you played by the 1972 rules I think Miami would definitely have a shot. Half of Cleveland's team might be on IR by halftime.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:30:54 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 01:14:31 pm »

These cross generational comparisons are fantasies, so I can fantasize my answer with the stipulation that the teams are on even ground in terms of preparation. With that, Miami wins hands down.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 01:27:51 pm »

These cross generational comparisons are fantasies, so I can fantasize my answer with the stipulation that the teams are on even ground in terms of preparation. With that, Miami wins hands down.

If by preperation you mean the linesmen are 75lbs heavier and 4 inches taller yeah, okay then miami has a chance. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 02:56:18 pm »

^^^ And everyone's about a gazillion times faster...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 04:22:00 pm »

If you played by 1972 rules, it would be worse for the 72 team.  The more physical the game is allowed to be, the more they'd get destroyed.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray