Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:05:11 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Disney - Fox Deal - Thoughts?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Disney - Fox Deal - Thoughts?  (Read 2775 times)
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« on: December 14, 2017, 12:55:26 pm »

I have waited a long time for Marvel to regain control of their characters (yes, there are still a few out there that Sony and Universal own). Didn't think back then that it would be because of Disney, but I always argued that Disney was building a giant.. an army.. mouse ears to take over the world.

Now my understanding is that the current slate will finish under Fox before Disney takes over, but what does that mean for the future.... like more Deadpool, Rated R movies? They claim they will keep it going. That they may even make other Marvel R rated movies given it fits the character.

I don't think every character needs to share/cross-over in every movie, but I like the potential.  Thoughts?

P.S - They also get the Yes Network, FOX Sports West and Prime Ticket, so they will have MLB, NHL, NBA networks on top of ESPN and the others they own. Quite the Juggernaut  <----  see what I did there   Smiley   

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 01:01:08 pm »

Overall, bad.

It will be short term good for Marvel and Star Wars, but you're less likely to get studios taking chances to improve their properties and do new, interesting things when everything is consolidated to one owner.

Everything being owned by a couple of companies is very bad for competition.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 02:01:46 pm »

I'm not into the whole comics thing but it doesn't seem to be a good idea that Disney owns everything. I thought there were laws from stopping things like that?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 02:36:34 pm »

Fantastic Four w/ Silver Surfer joining with the Avengers and X-Men to take down Dr. Doom or Galactus?  Yes Please!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 05:15:20 pm »

They have to wait 18 months before it gets approved. as well ... i found this pretty interesting.

Disney and 21st Century Fox might have finalized its acquisition agreements today, however, it seems like the company’s merger still faces the possibility of a block from government regulators.

If that happens, Variety reports that Disney has agreed that it would pay Fox a $2.5 billion break-up fee. The Mickey Mouse House has also agreed with Fox that they would pay the other $1.2 billion if ever one side decides to pull out of the merger for any other reason than a regulatory block by the government.

http://epicstream.com/news/Disney-Agrees-To-Pay-25-Billion-If-Government-Regulators-Block-Fox-Deal?utm_content=buffer91f94&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 03:30:50 pm »

As a Disney stockholder, I'm okay with it.   Cheesy
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 05:04:51 pm »

I'm not into the whole comics thing but it doesn't seem to be a good idea that Disney owns everything. I thought there were laws from stopping things like that?
Disney still doesn't own DC (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, etc.) so from a comics standpoint, it's not a big deal.

The best part of this news is that Marvel will stop trying to shove Inhumans down our throat as substitute mutants.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 05:30:30 pm »

The best part of this news is that Marvel will stop trying to shove Inhumans down our throat as substitute mutants.
Hahaha ... I honestly have no idea what that means.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 09:58:32 am »

Hahaha ... I honestly have no idea what that means.

Disney didn't have the rights to the X-Men or the term mutants, Fox did.  To combat that the Marvel comics started to really push Inhumans instead, which have powers like mutants, but are technically different (mutants are born that way, Inhumans get their powers by terragenesis, something to do with crazy crystals giving you powers if you are genetically compatible).  Now that Disney have the rights back to X-Men and mutants, they can push mutants again.  Nerdgasm over.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:20:22 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 11:02:42 am »

Disney didn't have the rights to the X-Men or the term mutants, Fox did.  To combat that the Marvel comics started to really push Inhumans instead, which have powers like mutants, but are technically different (mutants are born that way, Inhumans get their powers by terragenesis, something to do with crazy crystals giving you powers if you are genetically compatible).  Now that Disney have the rights back to X-Men and mutants, they can push that mutants again.  Nerdgasm over.
Thanks. Are mutants better than Inhumans?

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 11:13:46 am »

Thanks. Are mutants better than Inhumans?
Story wise, yes, X-Men have had way better stories over the years.  Powers wise, they're essentially the same, just different ways they got their powers.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 11:56:18 am »

To expand on what Tenshot13 was saying, as part of the X-Men movie deal, any Marvel character that is a "mutant" (someone who gets their powers through a random genetic mutation, not any sort of magic, technology, or alien influence) can only be used by Fox in movies, and the TV rights are murky.  However, Marvel wanted to be able to introduce the concept of an everyday person who just gets powers one day and has to deal with the repercussions, which is really what mutants are about.  So they basically reworked the story a different group, the "Inhumans," to apply to everyday people.  It was dumb and no one liked it.

Marvel had already invested 50+ years in the X-Men and mutant backstory.  The dynamic between Magneto and Professor Xavier is one of the strongest storylines in the franchise: Magneto is a Jewish Holocaust survivor who believes that bigotry cannot be eliminated from human nature, that humans will never truly accept mutants, and that war between humans and mutants is inevitable, while Xavier believes that humans and mutants must learn to live together in peace.  It is a very rough analog to the Malcolm X vs. MLK dynamic.

But more than that: mutant characters like the X-Men are well-known and beloved, while the Inhumans roster is stupid and boring.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 03:39:06 pm »

Does this mean Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck with be anchoring Fox News?

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 04:08:38 pm »

Does this mean Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck with be anchoring Fox News?

How often do you actually watch Fox News?  Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 04:53:13 pm »

^^^Surprised you two missed the "Goofy" layup that was staring you in the face...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray