Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:29:00 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  College football players skipping bowl games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: College football players skipping bowl games  (Read 6824 times)
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« on: December 16, 2017, 01:15:28 pm »

What do you guys think about college players skipping bowl games because they want to train for the NFL Draft?  I personally think it's ludicrous and if I was an NFL GM, I would lose respect for that player for bailing on his team before the season was over. 

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:58:28 pm »

The season IS over.  With exactly three exceptions, bowl games are exhibitions.  I blame no NFL prospect for declining to risk his career for a meaningless game.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 01:21:51 pm »

If they sat out a game for the National Championship I'd be pissed.  But all those other meaningless bowl games are about making money for the colleges and the game hosts.  I'm fine with a player not risking a future career to make more money for the universities that have used them to line their own pockets.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 01:25:21 pm »

The season IS over.  With exactly three exceptions, bowl games are exhibitions.  I blame no NFL prospect for declining to risk his career for a meaningless game.

Incorrect. Bowl games count for individual and team records. Exhibition games don't.

As for my thoughts, I know WVU is going to be missing our top RB. I'm not happy about it at all.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 02:24:09 pm »

Unless it is for the CFP playoffs, I don't have any problem at all with NFL prospects sitting out their bowl games. Would I like to see them play? Sure, as an armchair scout, the more I can see a prospect, the better I can evaluate their chances of making it in the NFL. Hard to argue about a kid saying "I'm healthy, let's stay that way until after I get hired."

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 03:29:18 pm »

As a sports fan, I don't like it.  As a former athlete, I totally get it. 
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 03:55:59 pm »

To me it puts self over team. Their teammates are counting on them. I don't want those kind of players because too many times they have to play hurt. A me first person will find reasons not to play when a team player will do whatever needs to be done.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 05:00:09 pm »

If the draft/signings were held before bowl games, then sure.  But given that universities already leech extreme amounts of value from these players in exchange for "scholarships" that cost <$50k/year for degrees many players have no intention of completing, again, I blame no player for making the financial choice in their best interest.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 05:04:42 pm »

By itself it would not be a reason not to draft, but if part of a pattern of selfish behavior it would be a concern that said player might be the type of player who pouts after a win because he didn't get enough touches or who mails it in if the team drops to 3-6.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 05:52:15 pm »

It also might be an indicator of the kind of behavior you might expect from a player who selfishly insists on getting paid full market value for his second contract, which is definitely not the kind of team-first player an organization would prefer.

However, when a team cuts a player without paying out the full contract, well, That Is Just Smart Football Business.  Only players are expected to adhere to these extremely important concepts of Loyalty and Selflessness, but never the people signing the checks.

Sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing...

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 09:16:28 am »

looks like the entire akron team missed the bowl game yesterday against FAU .. boom !
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 09:26:30 am »

looks like the entire akron team missed the bowl game yesterday against FAU .. boom !

And they locked in your boy Kiffin to a 10 year deal

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 09:58:33 am »

By itself it would not be a reason not to draft, but if part of a pattern of selfish behavior it would be a concern that said player might be the type of player who pouts after a win because he didn't get enough touches or who mails it in if the team drops to 3-6.

This!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 09:59:06 am »

It also might be an indicator of the kind of behavior you might expect from a player who selfishly insists on getting paid full market value for his second contract, which is definitely not the kind of team-first player an organization would prefer.

However, when a team cuts a player without paying out the full contract, well, That Is Just Smart Football Business.  Only players are expected to adhere to these extremely important concepts of Loyalty and Selflessness, but never the people signing the checks.

Sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing...

And This!!
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 01:55:55 pm »

BUMP

And the trend continues.   University of Houston DL Ed Oliver who is expected to go in the top five has announced he will skip his team's bowl game

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray