Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:04:20 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  College football players skipping bowl games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: College football players skipping bowl games  (Read 6802 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 02:08:10 pm »

If someone does this do they lose their scholarship for the spring semester? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 02:33:00 pm »

Are you asking do they or should they? I don't think they currently do but if they do it then they are heading to the NFL and it really doesn't matter anyway.

After what happened to McKenzie Milton I wouldn't be surprised to see more people than usual bailing on meaningless (Not final 4) bowl games.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 03:02:06 pm »

Yes they do but that's small potatoes considering that they leave school and spend said semester training for the Combine and the NFL Draft

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 06:43:08 pm »

I get professional sports is employment and big business.  But I have played and coached youth sports, never met a child that played because the were expecting a big payday at the end.  Yes some dreamed of playing professionally, but the dream focused around winning the championship of the relevant sport not the size of the contract. 

Problem I have with players like this is they have stopped loving the sport, they have stopped dreaming about winning a bowl game, they have stopped caring about there team mates. They only care about money.

There are players who only care about money.  But someone who given the choice of playing for bowl game and declines is someone who I question their competitiveness and drive for success.  Likewise a player that gets two offers one that pays 10 million and play for a team with a serious chance of winning the championship and another that pays 11 but will likely be at the bottom of the league and chooses the money is not someone I would want as a teammate.  I am not saying they should play for free or rollover to the owners but you have to wonder about there passion for a game many kids love to play so much they beg their parents to pay the league fees and ask Santa for equipment.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 10:25:44 pm »

professional sports is a business, i see nothing wrong with making sure you can take advantage of your opportunities.

college players area already bringing in billions for coaches and ADs i see nothing wrong at all with sitting out a meaningless game you're not being paid to play .. this isn't their job.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 08:27:39 am »

I hate calling bowl games meaningless. They are not.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2018, 12:26:11 pm »

what is the meaning of a bowl game outside of the top 4 with regards to a championship ?

it would be like having a losers bracket in the NFL playoffs for 3-12 ranking
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2018, 02:06:15 pm »

what is the meaning of a bowl game outside of the top 4 with regards to a championship ?

The two most significant sporting events on the planet - Olymipics and World Cup have a 3rd place game.

But if we consider any games that won’t impact which team will be national champions then 90% of all college football is meaningless.  Including such classics as Army-Navy and Harvard-Yale.  Should players skip any game once the team is out  contention for being top 4?

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2018, 05:18:15 pm »

if i'm an agent i'm telling these college players absolutely .. they're risking an nfl career for nothing
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2018, 05:45:05 pm »

And the trend continues.   University of Houston DL Ed Oliver who is expected to go in the top five has announced he will skip his team's bowl game

To be fair he's missed some games this year due to an injured knee, include the season finale, so I can't blame him for skipping a bowl game that he may not be 100% healthy for.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2018, 11:36:33 am »

Just because you aren't in the championship it doesn't make it meaningless. It is not an exhibition; the game goes on the coach's and school records, the stats count, it creates exposure for recruiting, etc. By your definition of not being in the championship as making it meaningless, the majority of schools played meaningless football almost the entire season.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2018, 11:41:18 am »

Bowl games can skyrocket a players stock.  See JaMarcus Russell.  He was a high-ish prospect that skyrocket #1 overall after his bowl game.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 11:58:26 am »

Just because you aren't in the championship it doesn't make it meaningless. It is not an exhibition; the game goes on the coach's and school records, the stats count, it creates exposure for recruiting, etc. By your definition of not being in the championship as making it meaningless, the majority of schools played meaningless football almost the entire season.
I think "meaningless" is different for everyone.  In all fairness .. If I'm a 1st or second round prospect and am looking at 10-15 million guaranteed already ... then it's meaningless in the sense it isn't going to help me. History has shown it doesn't hurt those that do sit out and instances like Milton show how quick that money can disappear.  Football players are in the business of selling themselves and that is what will drive their final decision.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray