Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:58:58 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Panthers possibly moving
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Panthers possibly moving  (Read 4530 times)
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« on: December 18, 2017, 03:59:10 pm »

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21806618/carolina-panthers-coach-ron-rivera-hopes-team-stay-charlotte-sale

With Jerry Richardson selling the team and I guess the team's lease or ties to the city is up in 2019 and there is thought a new owner could workout a sweetheart deal with another city to move the Panthers there. I would think the people who run St.Louis might be on the horn trying to pry a team back to their city. I hope it doesn't happen I hate to see city's lose their teams. It's crushing as a fan
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 05:02:32 pm »

St. Louis (and Oakland) have had enough teams.  Time to move on.

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:11:21 pm »

St. Louis (and Oakland) have had enough teams.  Time to move on.

oakland i agree cause the stadium isn't getting built. St.Louis  now has had some time to regroup and might be able to pull together a stadium deal. Aside from St.Louis I can't think where a new team would go unless someone bought the team and they moved them to London or Mexico City.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 05:55:22 pm »

Portland.  San Antonio.  San Diego.

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 07:10:41 pm »

Portland.  San Antonio.  San Diego.

San Diego has same stadium issues as Oakland, they just aren't gonna build one. Dallas and Houston will block San Antonio most likely from getting a team. Portland is interesting. I will think next team up though that is on the move would probably be headed to London if the league has any say in it
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 01:30:43 pm »

San Diego has same stadium issues as Oakland, they just aren't gonna build one. Dallas and Houston will block San Antonio most likely from getting a team. Portland is interesting. I will think next team up though that is on the move would probably be headed to London if the league has any say in it

I don't think you could put a team in London full time.  But maybe a team that plays 3 home games in Europe on consecutive weeks and 5 home games in the USA.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 01:44:55 pm »

i don't think a team could survive in london full time .. toronto yes .. london no
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 02:13:45 pm »

^^^ Toronto is too close to Buffalo, there are actually busloads of people that come to Bills games every week from Toronto.  So unless you are moving the Bills across the border Toronto is not getting a team.  I'd love to see a team in Montreal.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 03:34:15 pm »

If anybody moves to Toronto it would be the Bills, but that seems less likely now than it did a few years ago.

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 09:10:26 pm »

I don't think you could put a team in London full time.  But maybe a team that plays 3 home games in Europe on consecutive weeks and 5 home games in the USA.

There is so much London talk and from all reports Kraft/Jones and others want a team there badly. I see it happening eventually. There is no way to stop it now I think
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 10:14:53 am »

There is so much London talk and from all reports Kraft/Jones and others want a team there badly. I see it happening eventually. There is no way to stop it now I think

It's going to be a disaster.  Even with all the technological advances, there is no way to overcome the time differences and the jet lag.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 11:20:42 am »

Beyond the physical challenges of distance basing a team that far, you also have the issue of specific exemption to US tax code, antitrust and labor laws.  The U.K. would need to change their laws.  Also you would an owner that want to move a team to England.  Doesn't matter if Kraft supports a London team unless he is willing to drop the first word from the NEW England Patriots. 

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 11:50:52 am »

I have a bit of a conflict of interest,with this debate now,that I might not have had in years past.(Especially when it comes to St.Louis getting another team)

Hey another opportunity for me to see the Dolphins play fairly close!

I also question,St.Louis' already fractured football fan base,and how you're going to be able to get one if a team moves back)

At my age (42) you remember the St.Louis Cardinals,then they bolted to Az. Then in 1994 They get the Rams (played officially in 1995 as the St. Louis rams) who then bolted back to L.A. That's a few generations of fans,that you're going to have to win back? win over? Most of the locals are K.C. Chiefs fans, or Dallas Cowboys (Jerry Jones family being local, bought up the NFC rights to this area when he bought the team,the Cards has bolted to AZ)

The other kick in the pants for it with me,what it's going to cost me living down state.The new multi-billion? fox sports Midwest package deal,has just this year added like $5 a month to my Directv bill.Let me remind you, I'm paying now $5 a month as a Chicago Cubs fan, to my division rival,so they can spend it to against my Cubs.

One more last money implication,The last ditch effort to get the Rams a new stadium,had state money kicked in.(I probably could google it) How do I put this delicately,I don't trust our state government to make this deal.

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 03:31:44 pm »

Beyond the physical challenges of distance basing a team that far, you also have the issue of specific exemption to US tax code, antitrust and labor laws.  The U.K. would need to change their laws.  Also you would an owner that want to move a team to England.  Doesn't matter if Kraft supports a London team unless he is willing to drop the first word from the NEW England Patriots. 

The owner doesn't have to live in London. If an owner knows he can make a small fortune by owning a team there he will be more than happy to have a team there and spend a few months of a year in London where he will be hailed as a hero for bringing NFL football to their country/city. And the league has proved there are no physical challenges really, it's not that far of a flight it really isn't.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 11:03:13 am »

I'm a nobody,and nothing I say means didly squat.... Smiley

I think the NFL will end up having a team in London (at some point  Undecided ) I'm not Keen on the idea,A Home London playoff game seems to be a massive advantage for the London team.

I like the idea of Mexico city over say San Antonio (2 Texas teams is enough IMO) Mexico city allows the "international expansion" with less scheduling issues,home field advantage issues,and I have a hard time seeing the advertisers hating it.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray