Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:10:01 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Shame of the Year - 2017 Season
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Shame of the Year - 2017 Season  (Read 8388 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 05:33:56 pm »

I also think it's pretty unfair to give Gase sole (or even primary) credit/blame for roster moves.  He doesn't have some puppet figurehead GM like the Seahawks, and while he does have the ability to determine who won't be on the 53-man roster, he can't actually shop for the groceries himself.

I assign Gase more responsibility for the Ajayi decision than I do for the Cutler decision.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 08:23:30 pm »

And the $10 mill meant nothing. It was on the cap and now its off. It really did mean nothing in the end. Not like they signed Cutler for 3 years it was a one year deal

They could have carried that cap space money over to 2018, or at least most of it by signing a much cheaper backup QB; so how can you possibly say it meant nothing??  That space could have been used to get Landry's deal done.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 08:31:04 pm »

If Tannehill had surgery a year ago, he wouldn't have played this year as its a 10-12 month recovery. Him not having surgery really didn't matter.

Learn how to read a calendar.  He injured it week #14 last year, so if the recovery was on the low side (10 months) that means he could have been available around week #6 of this past season.  Now the Dolphins will be lucky if he is ready by the start of training camp.  So yeah it really does matter.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 08:34:39 pm »

I also think it's pretty unfair to give Gase sole (or even primary) credit/blame for roster moves.  He doesn't have some puppet figurehead GM like the Seahawks, and while he does have the ability to determine who won't be on the 53-man roster, he can't actually shop for the groceries himself.

I didn't say Gase had sole control of roster moves, but if you don't think Gase was pushing for Cutler, a guy he coached at both Denver and Chicago, I think your living in a dream world.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 08:53:47 pm »

Learn how to read a calendar.  He injured it week #14 last year, so if the recovery was on the low side (10 months) that means he could have been available around week #6 of this past season.  Now the Dolphins will be lucky if he is ready by the start of training camp.  So yeah it really does matter.

1) It was reported last week Tannehill will be ready for June mini-camp so the training camp isn't an issue (read a newspaper)
2) You saying he would have been ready by around Week 6 is a pure guess and Miami would have probably IR'd him for the year and not brought him back mid-season and added a QB in the offseason. And what if it took the full 12 months then he wouldn't have been ready till late November/early December this year. Your 10 months is wishful thinking not reality.

They could have carried that cap space money over to 2018, or at least most of it by signing a much cheaper backup QB; so how can you possibly say it meant nothing??  That space could have been used to get Landry's deal done

It was a 1 year deal, the $10 mill is opened up now and Miami has that $10 mill for cap space in 2018 that they used on Cutler. The same money is there now to sign Landry now. You are just bitching for the sake of bitching at this point without any facts
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 11:18:32 pm »

Learn how to read a calendar.  He injured it week #14 last year, so if the recovery was on the low side (10 months) that means he could have been available around week #6 of this past season.  Now the Dolphins will be lucky if he is ready by the start of training camp.
You probably shouldn't be telling people to "learn how read a calendar" at the same time you are using wild best-case scenarios for your argument and worst-case scenarios for opposing arguments.

The 2017 training camp started on Thursday, July 27.  Tannehill injured his knee one week later to the day: Thursday, August 3.  It took him about a week to decide to go through with the surgery, and the operation took place on August 17, two weeks after his re-injury.  So if "10-12 months" is the recovery time, the Dolphins don't need to be "lucky" for him to make it back before training camp, which starts 11 months after his surgery.  They just need not to be unlucky.

Meanwhile, for your side of the argument, you presume that Tannehill has his surgery the same day of the injury (not two weeks later), add the minimum 10 months from that day, and say he's back in... week 6 of 2017?!  If you can have Tannehill go from street clothes one week to playing a mid-year regular season game the following Sunday, why are you complaining about him potentially missing time in 2018 training camp?  By your logic, he can cold start a midseason game without an issue.

I didn't say Gase had sole control of roster moves, but if you don't think Gase was pushing for Cutler, a guy he coached at both Denver and Chicago, I think your living in a dream world.
Gase can "push for" whatever he likes.  There are at least two other people who had to sign off on that acquisition, and they did.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:35:55 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 08:24:30 am »

Parker.  He was supposed to be in the same conversation as A.J. Green, Antonio Bryant and Julio Jones this year.  Instead, he played like a giant pussy all year and couldn't stay healthy yet again.

I really thought Parker had a great finish to the season. He seemed to be much more focused on the field for the past 4 games, dropping way fewer passes, making an effort, running crisper routes. Mind you, he's had a couple of good stretches before, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 10:02:00 am »

I have no issue with the Cutler signing. With his past experience with Gase it was at least worth a try. With Moore we knew what we had and knew it wasn't good enough. We tried something different and it didn't work.

We've seen Tannehill and the offense click if we have some sort of a running game and the line gives him some kind of time.  I don't think all of a sudden Gase is a bad coach but I do think we have issues with the people who select our talent. For that alone I will continue to place blame on Mike Tannenbaum. He has yet to fix our biggest weakness we've had from even before he came here ... the offensive line.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 11:29:56 am »

This team had just about everything possible go its way this year. 

Since this statement obviously originated from your backside, I'm calling tails...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 12:03:00 pm »

I think you are all just trolling with me. 

Except for the Tannehill injury, the things Baba Booey posted don't actually affect the outcome of games.

So, they lost their bye week.  BOO HOO, let's start a telethon.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:21:44 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 12:40:04 pm »

^^^ So, an entire team missing it's bye week is no big deal to you, but another team missing a field goal is an epic occurrence.

You have a uniquely entertaining way of thinking, lifer...I'll give ya that.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 12:41:49 pm »

This talk of starting Moore is lunacy.  It's a conversation ender.

I drink your milkshake!
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 01:34:03 pm »

^^^ So, an entire team missing it's bye week is no big deal to you, but another team missing a field goal is an epic occurrence.

You have a uniquely entertaining way of thinking, lifer...I'll give ya that.

Having your opponents miss a field goal against you three weeks in a row is an epic occurrence. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 05:00:43 pm »

As for the Cutler signing, I think we have to keep in mind what the expectations were for the team at that point in time.  It was before the season had begun and coming off a decent 2016, the expectations were that the Fins had a solid roster, improved their defense (on paper), and had play makers on offense at the skill positions.  When Tanny went down, the team probably thought "here we have a playoff team without a QB".  Therefore, they signed a guy who had some proven success (albeit it limited) in the NFL who was familiar with Gase and the system.  At the time it seemed like a logical signing.  Now here at the end of the season when the team was pretty much a disaster in all phases, it is easy to say it was a bad move.  But at the time of the signing, with expectations for the season being what they were, it seemed like a good idea.  Hindsight is easy because we know all of the things now that were unknown at the time of the decision. 
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 05:26:29 pm »

I think you are all just trolling with me. 

Except for the Tannehill injury, the things Baba Booey posted don't actually affect the outcome of games.

So, they lost their bye week.  BOO HOO, let's start a telethon.

Having your best LB go AWOL and not show up for a game doesn't affect the outcome of a game? Having a full season with no bye week and no week to rest players when every other team (minus TB) has a week off to rest and re-charge the batteries so to speak doesn't affect the outcome of Dolphins games? Having to travel from Miami (forced out due to Hurricane)-LA-NY-Miami (Just to pack for a couple days)-London to open the year and no TRUE home game until October doesn't affect a team? Losing your starting QB 1 week into training camp doesn't affect the outcome of games?

This is why I say you are delusional and everyone on this site laughs at your posts and treats them as a joke and not seriously. You have no idea what you are talking about if you think those above reasons don't affect how a team plays and if they win. The losing your starting QB alone is reason enough to affect the outcome of every game last year, throw on top everything else and Miami caught zero breaks last year.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray