Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:10:13 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  How to find out if something is legitimate or not?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How to find out if something is legitimate or not?  (Read 2128 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: January 03, 2018, 12:09:55 pm »

I am trying to find out if the youtube feed that reportedly shows Earth from the ISS is real or not.

Googling has not helped me find the answer.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 12:57:52 pm »

Maybe you should start with finding out if the ISS itself is real or not.
If we can fake the moon landing in a 1969 Hollywood studio, a fake space station in 2018 seems pretty easy.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 01:27:23 pm »

Maybe you should start with finding out if the ISS itself is real or not.
If we can fake the moon landing in a 1969 Hollywood studio, a fake space station in 2018 seems pretty easy.

The International Space Station is real...I've seen it in a number of movies recently.  Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 03:14:04 pm »

If NASA is the source legit.  If NASA doesn't provide a feed of the iss, then how would someone have one?

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 03:57:49 pm »

d4l, you make it hard not to tease you a bit...

Okay, you have a stream and you want to find out if it's authentic or not. It claims to show a live feed from the ISS. Now, you don't actually give us the link to the feed, so I'll assume it's the top one when googling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtU_mdL2vBM

It's currently showing a beautiful video from what certainly appears to be the ISS with the solar panels off to the sides with a cloudy blue-white half-sphere.

[It's showing Earth with a curvature and since we all know the Earth is flat, clearly it's fake, but let's ignore that for a moment Wink]

You could do any number of things to verify the authenticity. You could check NASA's own website, see if they have a feed or link to one (they do). Does it match? (no, it doesn't).

In fact, right now, the live stream is Pretty F*cking Boring. You know why? 'Cause the ISS is over Eastern Russia where it's night. The location of the ISS isn't exactly secret and you can look it up easily enough. So, no, the feed linked above is NOT a live feed from the ISS.

Now, the ISS moves quite quickly and will soon be into the light again. On the other hand, that youtube clip is showing the ISS crossing the terminator into darkness RIGHT NOW, so it could be an ISS feed delayed by 45 minutes (the ISS sees one sunset and one sunrise every 90 minutes) or it could be much older. I'm not going to expend any more energy trying to pin it down, but if you wanted to, you could look for events such as rocket launches to get a very precise time or at least get a rough idea from the terminator location as the ISS crosses (a 24 hour day doesn't divide very nicely into 90 minutes, so the ISS will cross the terminator over different parts of the Earth depending on the date).

If you want a link to the real live ISS feed, NASA has you covered:

https://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/ESRS/HDEV/

Modified to add: Under US copyright law, all works created by the US Federal Government or its Agencies are legally in the public domain. As a result ANYONE can take the video from the NASA site and stick it on youtube and earn dollars from ads.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 04:01:24 pm by fyo » Logged
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 04:09:50 pm »

Whoa... I had the youtube feed running in the background and Aliens appeared! No, just kidding, but there was a glove that appeared to adjust the camera. Considering the rarity of spacewalks and how well-documented the activities performed are, I'd say that give you a pretty solid idea of when the video is from. Or at least a limited set of possibilities.

I also noticed that the night-time part of the feed was over WAY too quickly, so either the youtube feed is running sped-up (which would mean it would have to be on a loop) or it is slowing the video down during the day and speeding it up at night (since night is boring and the feed wants to attract users to generate advertising revenue).
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 04:15:32 pm »

I'm going to step outside of the space station in 30 minutes for a smoke break, so if you see me waving on the feed, it's legit.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 04:34:03 pm »

I SEE YOU. That's cool Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray