Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:33 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  How come no one is talking about the playoffs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: How come no one is talking about the playoffs?  (Read 6584 times)
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« on: January 08, 2018, 10:49:58 am »

We've had some really exciting finishes in the Wild Card round, especially on Sunday.   Andy Reed has proven himself to be another Marty Schottenheimer- great regular season coach, lousy playoff coach.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 11:14:34 am »

I think that the NFL just doesn't have a lot of interesting stories right now, because of weird circumstances.

Eagles are exciting and new -- injured QB.
Jags are kinda interesting, but they can't move the ball, so they aren't all that exciting.  In fact, both AFC matchups look to be boring blowouts coming up.
Rams are interesting, but they're out.
Titans appear to be frauds that aren't very good.

A lot of these stories are already told -- Drew Brees, we've seen.  We know Patriots and Steelers.  But until these teams play, we're just kinda coasting to get there.

I drink your milkshake!
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 12:07:23 pm »

There was a couple cool moments.. Mariota to Mariota for the TD was fun!

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 12:09:25 pm »

Minnesota has a really good chance to play the Super Bowl in their home stadium.  Standing in their immediate way are Sean Payton, Drew Brees, and the New Orleans Saints, the team that ended their last serious Super Bowl run in an overtime playoff game.

I consider that an interesting story.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:30:30 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 02:47:39 pm »

Dolphins aren't in the playoffs...

and...

Kc lost so I'm over joyed about that.I have an un-natural visceral amount of hate for the Buffalo Bills,and really dislike the Jaguars (which might stem from a left over angst about Marino's final game Cheesy ..Shrugs shoulders)..The Pats-Steelers in the AFC CC,and I don't care about the NFC at this moment.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 03:05:36 pm »

"Playoffs? You want to talk about playoffs.  Playoffs. Are you kidding me Playoffs"

Jim Mara

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 03:43:24 pm »

^^^ Is that some sort of fusion between Jim Mora and Wellington Mara?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 04:31:10 pm »

I guess the Bills mafia thing was kinda interesting.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 04:58:43 pm »

I'm rooting for the Jags. I really hope their defense continues to play lights out and continues where they left off earlier in the year when they went in and smacked Pitt at home. Not sure Big Ben has another 5 INT gane in him but it would be a good time to duplicate that performance.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 11:11:59 am »

Let me know when the division championship is and I will care
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 12:09:10 pm »

I find it hard to root for the Jags.  I want to, but it's like Dolphins lite.  Their offense is so neutered that it's hard to get behind.

I was hoping the Rams would stick around, so I could watch them.  F the Pats and Steelers, though.  And the Titans are frauds.

I drink your milkshake!
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 08:27:34 pm »

Going into the playoffs I thought the favorite would come from one of four teams in the NFC - the Eagles, Vikings, Saints & Rams seemed to be the most balanced both sides of the ball. The AFC looked weak in comparison, still does to me somehow (because of the defenses of the Patriots & Steelers, offense of the Jags). Also, the most potentially interesting stories come from the NFC side.

Since the Wentz injury, the Vikings-Saints game has been the one I have been looking forward to most. The Saints defense is starting to look scary like they did in their Super Bowl run: people who often mock the idea that defense wins championships cite how statistically weak that group was, but during the (as we found out Bounty-driven) playoffs they were geniunely frightening, ending Kurt Warner's career and giving Brett Farve the worst beating I saw him take. Cam Newton was outstanding last weekend but it wasn't enough, and he took some big licks from Cameron Jordan & company. Carolina defensively sold out to stop the run after being burnt by it twice during the year, and Brees torched them through the air. On paper New Orleans seem to have the best balance and most talent, if they were at home this week I would pick them to go all the way. They still might...

The Vikings have a fantastic defense, solid run game, and potentially a home Superbowl. Case Keenum has been a surprise packet and would obviously be a big story: the way he plays reminds me of Jeff Hostetler in the lead up to XXV, although his background story could be portrayed in the media as comething closer to Ty Detmer. Speaking of which...

If there is one team with the coach giving the quarterback the very same instructions given to Ty Detmer of "just don't fuck up" it's the Jaguars. Most of Blake Bortles' pass attempts against the Bills were nothing short of abysmal: while traditionally championship teams run the ball and stop the run, a Quarterback who plays like that is a severe handicap that's almost impossible to overcome. There is an air of 1982 Dolphins & 2006 Bears about this team - fantastic defense, great running game, and an at best erratic Quarterback who could undo everything that's positive. I would love to see that defense giving Brady nightmares, but I don't think they will have the chance.

I haven't seen much of the Titans, really not sure what to make of them after the Kansas City meltdown in the wild card round that basically allowed them to be run over. Whatever they did wasn't impressive enough to convice me they will go further, I don't think Tennessee has the deep vertical game to worry the Patriots or Steelers.

The Steelers and Patriots are very close, powerful offenses, very suspect defenses (although the recent addition of Harrison should bolster the Patriots), especially against the pass. After being torched playing zone defense against Brady for years, Pittsburgh tried a little man on man coverage (like Miami did successfully the week before) and had some success, but it's basically against their nature. As much as I hate the idea, home field advantage should see the Patriots through to another title game.

Another idea I hate is Atlanta somehow making it back there. Under Matty Ice "Choke" Ryan they have the air about them of being potentially another Buffalo Bills of the '90s or Broncos of the '80s, getting progressively worse to the point people hate seeing them in the Superbowl. They got lucky against the Rams with turnovers and non-pass interference calls all game, hopefully it all ends this weekend against the Eagles.

I have a soft spot for Philadelphia because that's where Jay Ajayi was traded, and would love to see him get a ring for what he went through. No Wentz though is massive for this group, but if Foles can somehow produce a Hostetler-like playoffs performance, his story along with Ajayi's would make for great episode for Americas Game. Not sure it will happen though.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:54:51 am by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 08:47:46 pm »

I find it hard to root for the Jags.  I want to, but it's like Dolphins lite.  Their offense is so neutered that it's hard to get behind.

I was hoping the Rams would stick around, so I could watch them.  F the Pats and Steelers, though.  And the Titans are frauds.

The Chiefs are the even bigger frauds.  Loaded with talent that underperforms

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 08:09:46 pm »

Speaking of frauds, Atlanta's luck has run out. Good - I don't what to see those bums back in the Superbowl after the way they massively choked last year.

Philadelphia could be in for a rough NFC Championship game though: Cris Collinsworth in the NBC broadcast noticed that Foles hands on the ball after the snap was a give away as to what they were going to do each play. One hand was a run, two hands was a pass, every single time. Expect their opponent's defense to key in on that and tee off on them all game.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 02:50:36 am »

The Vikings have a fantastic defense, solid run game, and potentially a home Superbowl. Case Keenum has been a surprise packet and would obviously be a big story: the way he plays reminds me of Jeff Hostetler in the lead up to XXV, although his background story could be portrayed in the media as comething closer to Ty Detmer. Speaking of which...

If there is one team with the coach giving the quarterback the very same instructions given to Ty Detmer of "just don't fuck up" it's the Jaguars. Most of Blake Bortles' pass attempts against the Bills were nothing short of abysmal: while traditionally championship teams run the ball and stop the run, a Quarterback who plays like that is a severe handicap that's almost impossible to overcome. There is an air of 1982 Dolphins & 2006 Bears about this team - fantastic defense, great running game, and an at best erratic Quarterback who could undo everything that's positive.

What a wild way to finish the Divisional round!

The Jaguars defense and running game showed up against the erratic Steelers, and did enough to get that showdown with Brady. I expect they will find tougher going against the Patriots though, who will probably try and run through the middle as often as possible (as the Steelers should have) while their defense will sell out against the run and force Bortles to beat them in the air. Expect a few holding/pass interference penalties to be called on A.J. Bouye too, he aint gonna get away with what he did today when Brady's the quarterback. Speaking of which, seriously just how good is Antonio Brown? He was held by Bouye on both touchdowns, the second for a good 20-30 yards down the field with the guy not letting go of the back of his jersey; he virtually towed him all the way to the endzone and still beat him with the catch!

Will the Vikings luck hold all the way through to a home Superbowl? There was no way they should have won that game, that last play should have been shut down by Marcus Williams. One missed tackle, that and the illegal proceedure penalty that blanked out a Saints touchdown (which preceded Brees second interception), without those mental errors it would be the Saints advancing to the NFC Championship game. I think Keenum may well be given the same Ty Detmer instructions after that bonehead throw (his words) for the interception. Sendejo being knocked out for the majority of the second half was massive, it was after that moment when Brees really started picking the Vikings secondary apart and the Saints started scoring - the Vikings have to be praying he won't be out with concussion the rest of the campaign.

Ps. There will definitely be at least one ex-Dolphin in the Superbowl from the NFC side: either Dannell Ellerbe & Jay Ajayi from the Eagles, or OC Tony Sparano from the Vikings.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:07:27 am by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray