Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:01:18 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Jarvis Landry Contract
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Poll
Question: What do you think we should do with Landry and his pending contract?
It's OK to overpay for him because he is an important part of the team   -5 (23.8%)
Stand fast and only pay him if he is willing to accept reasonable money   -6 (28.6%)
Let him go to someone else. He is too immature and costs us too many penalties   -2 (9.5%)
Franchise tag him if he won't accept market value   -8 (38.1%)
Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Jarvis Landry Contract  (Read 15504 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 11:21:35 am »

I'm slightly surprised at the numbers of the franchise tag votes,the last I read,I thought the WR Franchise tag was going to be about 16 million. Shocked

I can easily seeing the team using the transition tag on Landry (to save money),then when we fail to match the offer,we get nothing.
Rumors have been that he's going to want 16 million because he thinks himself a number one receiver even though he doesn't put up those kind of numbers. I think Miami will want to pay him about 12 million which will put his at the top for slot receivers. If he gets franchised it will fit right in his wheelhouse with what he wants.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:23:58 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 03:12:19 pm »

With slot receivers like Landry it's not about how many yards per catch, it's more about do they make the tough catches to convert 3rd downs and keep drives going.  If the Dolphins had a young tough TE to convert on 3rd down plays Landry would be more expendable, but they don't.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 05:15:03 pm »

With slot receivers like Landry it's not about how many yards per catch, it's more about do they make the tough catches to convert 3rd downs and keep drives going.  If the Dolphins had a young tough TE to convert on 3rd down plays Landry would be more expendable, but they don't.
Yeah, get gets first downs alright. He won't let anyone forget with his stupid little first down "finger point" every time he gets a 3 yard first down completion. In my opinion, he thinks that he's better than he actually is.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 11:23:20 am »

I like Landry and I think he is an excellent asset to the team.  However, overpaying guys to keep them from going elsewhere almost always turns out badly and negatively impacts other positions because of the salary cap implications of overpaying someone.  I'd love to see him stay, but only if he is going to be reasonable with his contract expectations. 
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 01:12:35 pm »

There are a number of positions that I don't have any problem watching my team overpay a little bit for. QB, DE, a shutdown corner, a stud LB, a ballhawking safety, sure...but WR is definitely not one of those positions.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 04:17:16 pm »

There are a number of positions that I don't have any problem watching my team overpay a little bit for. QB, DE, a shutdown corner, a stud LB, a ballhawking safety, sure...but WR is definitely not one of those positions.

I will go along with that.  As you said, WR is definitely not one of those positions.  Ask the Cowboys how they feel about signing Dez Bryant to a $70M, 5-year contract is 2015. 
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 06:04:24 pm »

Here's the best I've seen yet...

https://twitter.com/MattyInfante/status/947835836913070080

"Only two wide receivers caught more TD passes than Jarvis Landry. Only six wide receivers picked up more first downs than Jarvis Landry. Pay the man, "

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 03:36:19 pm »

Apparently Landry wants over 14 million a year and the Dolphins don't want to pay that. Landry has made some catches but he apparently has some issues with the coaches and the Dolphins are taking that to the table. He is known to not pay attention in meetings, run the wrong routes, disrespect coaches and as he even admitted, not studying the weekly playbook.  Oh yes ... and he also creates 15 yard penalties for no reason.

Also hearing the Dolphins will NOT be franchising him. they don't want to pay 14 million a year and they definitely won't be paying over 16 million for the year.

Edited to add this from Armando Salguero  ...
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article194920564.html

.... But the Dolphins have a different opinion. Their view of Landry is your view. They see his passion. And his production. And his toughness. They see all that. And that has value to them.

They also see things you have no clue about. They see that back story I previously mentioned.
They see a player who doesn’t pay attention to details. They see a player who sometimes runs the right routes and sometimes doesn’t. They see a player who sometimes inspires with his emotions, but sometimes loses control and hurts his team. They see a player who doesn’t lead in the locker room although he’s in a great position to do so.

They see a player who doesn’t seem to respect his coaches because he often ignores what they ask. They see a player who has been, in the words of multiple sources, “a pain” to deal with and “hard to reach.”

So the Dolphins probably would like to keep Landry but because of that back story, they want it mostly on their terms. Because there’s no way to predict how a player who didn’t do what the team wanted all the time when he was trying to get a new contract will comport himself once he’s already paid.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:41:18 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 04:46:33 pm »

He is a possession receiver with a bad attitude.  Even the most homeristic Dolphins fan is not going to claim he is worth 3x J. Edelman.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 07:32:39 pm »

He's not worth $14M, if that is his true asking price.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 08:05:42 pm »

T.Y. Hilton signed a contract worth $13M/yr in 2015.  As a percentage of the cap, that would be equivalent to $16M/yr in 2018.  So how much worse than Hilton do you believe Landry is, if you think he's not worth even $14M/yr?

Let me put it this way: which non-rookie-contract receivers do you believe Landry is comparable to?  As a point of comparison, here are the last 5 receivers before Landry to lead the league in receptions:

2017- Landry
2016- L.Fitzgerald (signed for $113M/7yrs in 2011, equivalent to $23.9M/yr in 2018)
2015- J.Jones (signed for $71.25M/5yrs in 2015, equivalent to $17.7M/yr in 2018) & A.Brown (see below)
2014- A.Brown (signed for $68M/4yrs in 2017, equivalent to $18M/yr in 2018)
2013- P.Garcon (signed for $42.5M/5yrs in 2012, equivalent to $12.54M/yr in 2018)
2012- C.Johnson (signed for $113.5/7 in 2012, equivalent to $23.9M/yr in 2018)

So is Landry worth $20M/yr like legendary franchise receivers Megatron or Fitzgerald?  No.  Is he worth best-receiver-in-the-league money like AB or JJ?  No.  But is he worth as much as T.Y. Hilton or Dez Bryant?  I think that's a fair argument.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 11:33:38 pm »

14 Million a year is pretty reasonable. At the very least the Dolphins need to make him a counter offer in the 13 million a year range and meet in the middle. That's very reasonable for Landry.

All this talk about he doesn't run the proper routes and whatnot is just a negotiation strategy. They HAVE to find something to ding him on. But they don't like his note taking and the way he keeps his locker clean? Are you kidding me? If that's all they got, they got nothing. They'll end up paying him because if they don't somebody else will. Of course he's not worth 14 Million a year, but that's the going rate for a WR of his caliber these days so you pay it.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 11:49:52 pm »

T.Y. Hilton signed a contract worth $13M/yr in 2015.  As a percentage of the cap, that would be equivalent to $16M/yr in 2018.  So how much worse than Hilton do you believe Landry is, if you think he's not worth even $14M/yr?

Let me put it this way: which non-rookie-contract receivers do you believe Landry is comparable to?  As a point of comparison, here are the last 5 receivers before Landry to lead the league in receptions:

2017- Landry
2016- L.Fitzgerald (signed for $113M/7yrs in 2011, equivalent to $23.9M/yr in 2018)
2015- J.Jones (signed for $71.25M/5yrs in 2015, equivalent to $17.7M/yr in 2018) & A.Brown (see below)
2014- A.Brown (signed for $68M/4yrs in 2017, equivalent to $18M/yr in 2018)
2013- P.Garcon (signed for $42.5M/5yrs in 2012, equivalent to $12.54M/yr in 2018)
2012- C.Johnson (signed for $113.5/7 in 2012, equivalent to $23.9M/yr in 2018)

So is Landry worth $20M/yr like legendary franchise receivers Megatron or Fitzgerald?  No.  Is he worth best-receiver-in-the-league money like AB or JJ?  No.  But is he worth as much as T.Y. Hilton or Dez Bryant?  I think that's a fair argument.

Megatron, Fitzgerald and Antonio Brown (if you factor in his kick returns) have dominated games. Jones, Bryant, Garcon (in his day) have all been game changers.

Admittedly I see nowhere near the number of Dolphins games I would like to (and the number of games you guys have) but for all of his catches, for the life of me I cannot remember a game where Landry has had the same impact as the above guys. Not getting into the end zone enough would be a key reason for that, it's an area the Dolphins have struggled with for years.

Under the circumstances there's no way I would offer him a long term contract on top money, especially if because of his attitude there's a decent chance he could be traded or cut anyway (and after what happened with Ajayi this year and other guys previously, you all know there's a pretty good chance that will happen). We simply cannot afford to be in a situation where we have more players on dead cap money, it's a hole we have dug for ourselves the last few years and it just cannot continue. If he agrees to a reasonable contract great, if not we franchise him for one year, or let him walk and be done with it.

Out of interest if Landry does walk, how would you think he would do at somewhere like the Patriots? On paper he should thrive with Brady throwing a few hundred accurate passes his way, but there's no way BB or Brady would put up with the crap associated with him either.  
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 09:23:33 am »

I read that gas lighting article,and was sick all day at our font office stupidity.They just keep adding more stupid excuses,we paid Stills (mistake IMO),we're worried Devante "Pansy" Parker.

Face it he's good as gone.....next year it allows them to blame it on Tannehill,or this position coach...

**Sarcasm Warning*** I think the front office seems clueless they're not used to trying to negotiate with a player not coming off 1-2 injury prone seasons,under performing,searching for a diamond in the rough type player......***End sarcasm***
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:26:15 am by DaLittle B » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 11:36:00 am »

If Miami can find a tight end that can catch the ball, that can eliminate the need for Landry.  I personally don't think the team will be much worse without him, but I would rather keep him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray