Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:46:28 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Jarvis Landry Contract
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Poll
Question: What do you think we should do with Landry and his pending contract?
It's OK to overpay for him because he is an important part of the team   -5 (23.8%)
Stand fast and only pay him if he is willing to accept reasonable money   -6 (28.6%)
Let him go to someone else. He is too immature and costs us too many penalties   -2 (9.5%)
Franchise tag him if he won't accept market value   -8 (38.1%)
Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Jarvis Landry Contract  (Read 15534 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 12:04:37 pm »

We have to do that regardless if we sign Landry or not...We haven't exactly had a lot of success at finding a TE since we screwed up the tagging of C.Clay.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 12:50:38 am »

T.Y. Hilton signed a contract worth $13M/yr in 2015.  As a percentage of the cap, that would be equivalent to $16M/yr in 2018.  So how much worse than Hilton do you believe Landry is, if you think he's not worth even $14M/yr?

Let me put it this way: which non-rookie-contract receivers do you believe Landry is comparable to?  As a point of comparison, here are the last 5 receivers before Landry to lead the league in receptions:

2017- Landry
2016- L.Fitzgerald (signed for $113M/7yrs in 2011, equivalent to $23.9M/yr in 2018)
2015- J.Jones (signed for $71.25M/5yrs in 2015, equivalent to $17.7M/yr in 2018) & A.Brown (see below)
2014- A.Brown (signed for $68M/4yrs in 2017, equivalent to $18M/yr in 2018)
2013- P.Garcon (signed for $42.5M/5yrs in 2012, equivalent to $12.54M/yr in 2018)
2012- C.Johnson (signed for $113.5/7 in 2012, equivalent to $23.9M/yr in 2018)

So is Landry worth $20M/yr like legendary franchise receivers Megatron or Fitzgerald?  No.  Is he worth best-receiver-in-the-league money like AB or JJ?  No.  But is he worth as much as T.Y. Hilton or Dez Bryant?  I think that's a fair argument.

This is really a post that is way out there.  First, by bringing up the 5 prior "reception leaders' you are in effect trying to equate Landry with other teams' #1 receivers (rock star receivers at that), which we all know Landry is not the #1 receiver on the Dolphins.  Secondly, your extrapolations for Fitzgerald & Johnson are disingenuous because Fitzgerald's contract was redone & Johnson's would have been also if he didn't retire.  Fitzgerald has actually been making $11M per year the last couple years.  Finally, just because the Colts & Dallas have overpaid, doesn't mean the Dolphins have to.

Looking at average annual WR salaries, if Landry was paid $12M he would be the 10th highest paid; if $10M he would be tied for 17th.  Pretty good money for a guy not considered a team's #1 receiver.  The only reason I see to pay him more than $10M per year is that he's been underpaid a couple million per year due to were he was drafted.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 03:03:51 am »

This is really a post that is way out there.  First, by bringing up the 5 prior "reception leaders' you are in effect trying to equate Landry with other teams' #1 receivers (rock star receivers at that), which we all know Landry is not the #1 receiver on the Dolphins.
Who do you believe the number one receiver on MIA is?  Because according to your logic, if you believe 1) Landry is not the number one receiver on the team and 2) Landry deserves $10-12M, the logical conclusion is that either Devante Parker or Kenny Stills deserves >$12M/year.

Huh

Secondly, your extrapolations for Fitzgerald & Johnson are disingenuous because Fitzgerald's contract was redone & Johnson's would have been also if he didn't retire.
I think it's quite fair to use the contract number that Fitz originally signed for, given that the original contract ran through the 2018 season and that Fitz was 32 years old when he renegotiated it.  Landry will be 26 next season, yet you appear to believe his long-term contract should be for the same amount per year as the extension that 35-year-old Larry Fitzgerald just signed.

It's useless to try to argue that Megatron's contract would have been "redone" as you have no idea what number it would have wound up at.

Fitzgerald has actually been making $11M per year the last couple years.  Finally, just because the Colts & Dallas have overpaid, doesn't mean the Dolphins have to.
Actually, other teams overpaying a position (and, more specifically, being willing to overpay) means that the market value of a player at that position is inflated, and that teams have to pay more than they personally believe a player is worth to keep them.  That's how the market works.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:12:37 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 08:01:06 pm »

Local Beat writers are saying the Dolphins are going to use the Non exclusive Franchise tag on Landry.

~@schadjoe: BREAKING NEWS: The Miami Dolphins are likely to use the franchise tag on Jarvis Landry, per league source
http://www.twitter.com/schadjoe/status/966114572829646849

~@AdamHBeasley: Per league source the Dolphins likely to use non-exclusive franchise tag on Jarvis Landry
http://www.twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/966115085566521345

~@gunnerhal: Landry is looking at $16 million for next season. This would give Dolphins two No. 1 picks if he were to sign elsewhere.
http://www.twitter.com/gunnerhal/status/966115303552901121

3  more...It's pretty much done...
~@AlbertBreer: Per source, the Dolphins have filed the paperwork to place the non-exclusive franchise tag on WR Jarvis Landry. So that one's officially done.
http://www.twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/966116945446699008

~@AlbertBreer: Tag numbers aren't official until the cap is set. But if the cap is $178 million, as NFL projected in December, Jarvis Landry's tag would be $16.05 million.
http://www.twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/966117382627450880

~@gunnerhal: Reason Dolphins would get two No. 1s is it's a non-exclusive franchise tag. Had to do something to protect themselves. Letting Landry walk for nothing would have been disastrous. Big hole at WR, no pick to compensate. Can't let that happen. Signing multiyear deal still the hope.
http://www.twitter.com/gunnerhal/status/966117582506926081

So, there you go...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:13:20 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 10:55:44 am »

I readily admit that I don't understand the intricacies of the franchise tag enough to make an absolute thumbs up or thumbs down opinion on this, but $16M seems like a lot of money for a slot receiver when the team isn't in the greatest salary cap position (as of today anyway) to begin with.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 12:42:53 pm »

I readily admit that I don't understand the intricacies of the franchise tag enough to make an absolute thumbs up or thumbs down opinion on this, but $16M seems like a lot of money for a slot receiver when the team isn't in the greatest salary cap position (as of today anyway) to begin with.

Non exclusive meaning they're probably hoping someone bites and signs him to a deal, then negotiates the number of picks as compensation.  They drafted him in the second round.  If they can get at least one first rounder out of it, they're in good shape.  My buddy is saying the Dolphins are also trying to get rid of Devante Parker. 

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 12:45:24 pm »

Thanks for the explanation.  I can see where getting a 1st rounder for him would make the franchise tag decision make more sense.  I don't know what they would get for Parker. I wouldn't think there would be a huge market for underachieving former 1st rounders who seemed to to have never tapped their potential.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 04:08:11 am »

The Non-exclusive franchise tag was a no-brainer. There's no way you can just let him become a free agent and if contract negotiations aren't there yet, there are no other choices. As the twitter posts listed above mention, slapping this variant of the franchise tag on him results in a compensation of two first round picks if he's given (and signs) and offer sheet from a different team. The Dolphins also have the option to match offer sheets, but the amount of BS allowed in these deals makes that practically worthless.

What it does do, aside from guarantee a substation compensation if another team grabs him, is it allows the team and the player more time to come to a long term agreement. If that still proves impossible, the team can then try to trade him as with any other player under contract. This would be the most likely option, IMHO, if Miami cannot find common ground with Landry. Two first-round picks for Landry is going to be much more than anyone is willing to offer.

There is a firm deadline of July 15 to come to an agreement. After that, the 1-year franchise contract is set in stone.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 08:41:50 am »

I don't have an issue with paying him 16 million for 1 year if it comes to that. In the end it isn't my money.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2018, 11:42:23 am »

Non exclusive meaning they're probably hoping someone bites and signs him to a deal, then negotiates the number of picks as compensation.  They drafted him in the second round.  If they can get at least one first rounder out of it, they're in good shape.  My buddy is saying the Dolphins are also trying to get rid of Devante Parker. 

I don't think it works that way.  Three major possibilities:

1. Parker signs a long term deal with Fins.  (Which obviously has at least 16 million in guaranteed money)

2. Parker signs tender one year 16 million deal

3. Another team signs Parker. Fins get two first round picks.

While the Dolphins might be happy with option 3.  That requires a team offering something more attractive to Parker than option #2.  And I doubt any team thinks a slot receiver is worth 16 million and two draft picks. 

There are other variations such as tender being withdrawn, holdout, tag and trade.  But realistically it is either going to be 1 or 2.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2018, 12:15:43 pm »

don't wanna pick nits .. but it's landry .. not parker
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 12:20:11 pm »

I don't see us trading him. We will either sign him or keep the tender. Of course we punish Ajayi by sending him to a Super Bowl contender so what do I really know?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 12:40:30 pm »

I don't see us trading him. We will either sign him or keep the tender. Of course we punish Ajayi by sending him to a Super Bowl contender so what do I really know?
Super Bowl WINNER.  Let's not forget that they beat the Patriots.  And let's continue to remind Hoodie.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 01:46:04 pm »

As much as it pains me to say this, I can't see him playing another snap as a Dolphin  Cry ...I think Tannenbaum will Eff up a trade him (that we'll greatly regret in the future) probably for an old,probably coming off an injury,player with 1 yr left on his contract....Or Really Eff this up, and rescind the tag in late June, Landry walks,and we get nothing.

We're far too stupid as a front office,So I foresee we'll probably sign Parker to a big deal during training camp,after he starts his great training camp,that everyone will be talking about all the great things we expect from him in the future.

Yep...Pretty Sour on this team,and the front office...I blame my Cubs,going through the rebuild,then getting a taste of winning,to finally win it all. We went through the same B.S. with Jim Hendry,and bringing in all these big name guys,and one player away for several years...Then we got a smart front office....

All the Dolphins Front office does is Fuck up for so many years,and think this 1,or 2 player is going to solve everything Bullshit...All we do is lose (outside of a year here,and year there,which continues the same sorry ass pattern.)...We suck perpetual fucking losers...

Sorry... Angry
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 01:50:13 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2018, 02:30:22 pm »

don't wanna pick nits .. but it's landry .. not parker

Oops

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »