Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:10:24 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Jarvis Landry Contract
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Poll
Question: What do you think we should do with Landry and his pending contract?
It's OK to overpay for him because he is an important part of the team   -5 (23.8%)
Stand fast and only pay him if he is willing to accept reasonable money   -6 (28.6%)
Let him go to someone else. He is too immature and costs us too many penalties   -2 (9.5%)
Franchise tag him if he won't accept market value   -8 (38.1%)
Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Jarvis Landry Contract  (Read 15536 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2018, 03:49:51 pm »

As much as it pains me to say this, I can't see him playing another snap as a Dolphin  Cry ...I think Tannenbaum will Eff up a trade him (that we'll greatly regret in the future) probably for an old,probably coming off an injury,player with 1 yr left on his contract....Or Really Eff this up, and rescind the tag in late June, Landry walks,and we get nothing.

We're far too stupid as a front office,So I foresee we'll probably sign Parker to a big deal during training camp,after he starts his great training camp,that everyone will be talking about all the great things we expect from him in the future.

Yep...Pretty Sour on this team,and the front office...I blame my Cubs,going through the rebuild,then getting a taste of winning,to finally win it all. We went through the same B.S. with Jim Hendry,and bringing in all these big name guys,and one player away for several years...Then we got a smart front office....

All the Dolphins Front office does is Fuck up for so many years,and think this 1,or 2 player is going to solve everything Bullshit...All we do is lose (outside of a year here,and year there,which continues the same sorry ass pattern.)...We suck perpetual fucking losers...

Sorry... Angry
I'm not a Tannenbaum fan either and blame most of our current failings directly on him.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2018, 03:44:53 am »

1. Parker signs a long term deal with Fins.  (Which obviously has at least 16 million in guaranteed money)

2. Parker signs tender one year 16 million deal

3. Another team signs ParkerLandry. Fins get two first round picks.

[snip]
But realistically it is either going to be 1 or 2.

I think a very realistic alternative is that the Dolphins effectively trade him. This would have to be done with Landry's accept and would amount to the Dolphins trading him for less than 2 first round picks. There are a couple of way this could be done, e.g. by Landry signing a contract with the Dolphins contingent on being traded immediately to a specific team.

I stated previously that going by other contracts, fair market value for Landry is around 12-14 million. Landry wants 16, the team is apparently offering around 12. I wouldn't be shocked to see them land at 14, but a one-year deal on the franchise tag wouldn't surprise me either. I do think the latter would end Landry's stay in Miami, though. The front office isn't going to overpay him by 4 million (in their opinion) and then give the player the contract we would have wanted anyway after that. And paying him 20% more by slapping the tag on him again also wouldn't make any sense.

Seeing as how the franchise tag would likely mark the end of Landry's Miami career, the Dolphins would have to seriously consider trading him (for less than 2 first round picks, which is an absurd price no one would possibly be willing to pay).
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2018, 02:39:32 pm »

I really hope the Dolphins sign him to a long term deal, because it never seems to work out well when teams go the franchise tag route.  Now if some team wants to give us two 1st round picks for him I'd be alright with that.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2018, 08:51:25 am »

I voted franchise if he won't accept market value. It gives a year to examine other options if things go sour.

It's gone the way I thought, so I am not surprised.

Landry may be a tempremental slot receiver, but he is our best receiver by such a wide margin it's not funny. Yes I said earlier that unlike the truly elite receivers in the game I cannot remember him being a game changer, but then there's nobody on the current list who is either. Put simply, we can't lose him for a compensation pick. That doesn't leave the Dolphins too many choices.

Landry wanted top dollar, and we could not over-pay again for a long term contract. Transition tag was not a realistic option as explained here:
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article196508269.html

So it's either a case of let him go and bring in someone we thought would be better for the money (and it seems we think there's nobody out there right now to do just that), or go the franchise tag. It gives us the option of either trading him for fair value, sorting out an agreeable contract for both Landry and the Dolphins, or 12 months to find that player via either the draft, trade or free agency that will be a cheaper or better option (that isn't there now).

One other thing to keep in mind is that deep pass completion at the Pro Bowl that may have opened a few eyes. Landry's biggest shortfalls have been getting deep and getting in the end zone. After his ribs were cracked part way through the season it became pretty clear Cutler could not throw the deep ball with any conviction. Bring in a fit Tannehill (or other QB) with a strong arm and who knows, maybe Landry will start becoming a deep threat? With a franchise tag, we have the next year to find it out (unless he is traded of course).
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2018, 03:37:36 pm »

Watercooler talk at work was Miami is seeking two 1st rounders for Landry, said they heard it on ESPN.  I've been in meetings all day so I don't know how true that is.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2018, 09:41:17 pm »

Well, technically, yes: by tagging Landry with the non-exclusive franchise tag, Miami would receive two first-rounders from any team that signs Landry to a contract.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2018, 09:55:14 am »

i think the speculation among the pundits is that miami is shopping a trade. I think they're very capable of just tagging him to allow time for a long term contract to be negotiated and they'll take the 16mil if they have to
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2018, 10:29:29 am »

i think the speculation among the pundits is that miami is shopping a trade. I think they're very capable of just tagging him to allow time for a long term contract to be negotiated and they'll take the 16mil if they have to
Seems unlikely to me.  They can shop him all they want but unless he agrees to it they have no leverage. They are having to overpay him by tagging him so he doesn't care and can hit the free market later

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2018, 10:54:25 am »

Our problem is our Salary cap issues,Tannenbaum wants to go on a spending spree,of course.(I'd go with the Cutting Suh June 1st cut,as his Contract will just get worse from this point forward)

Armando says we're hoping for a3rd,or maybe a low 2nd...or a player...We lost our leverage over Landry to sign a team friendly contract,when we tagged him....(According to most of national writers,when we tagged him so early)
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article202307674.html

Modified to add...Let's remember  CB.M.Peters with 1 year left on his contract got traded for a 4th rd pick this year and a2nd rd pick next year...Landry,playing on the F.tag wanting a big contract.No Smart GM's are going to give up didly for Landry...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:05:45 am by DaLittle B » Logged

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2018, 11:06:30 am »

I can't fathom a team signing him if it is going to cost them two 1st rounders.  On the trade side of it, before that article came out, I was thinking similarly that trade value for Landry would probably be a mid to late 2nd rounder.  I want to be optimistic that the Fins have strategically thought this through and will come out smelling like a rose.  But history over the past 10 years or so, make the realist in me think that the Fins are going to screw things up royally. 
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2018, 11:17:57 am »

Landry and the Dolphins aren't that far apart on salary. With appropriate guarantees, I don't see why a deal at 14 mill wouldn't be doable.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2018, 11:59:12 am »

^ I completely agree,except, I'm thinking they low balled the hell out of Landry like $9 million a year...Because we are complete utter Effin morons... Embarrassed

phinphan
Uber Member

dcphinsphan dcphinsphan
Email
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2018, 11:36:31 pm »

I have read through all the posts and I am surprised at the sentiment here. The guy still broke records with a QB who I don't think could throw the ball in the air to himself, play calling that is atrocious and that did not change just because we got cutler. Defensive coordinators have to love it when they are coming up against our offensive offense. Ok everybody rush in and look for the running back or receiver to get the ball in the back field. Again not because of Cutler this has been our play calling for years. I have not voted yet but for different reasons, I don't want to see him go anywhere but on the other hand is it fair to keep him in an organization that is trying hard to remain mediocre at best. I hope we bring in somebody else to send in the calls on offense because right now anybody can guess the next play the trick is will it be in the backfield left side or right! Imagine what he could do with a real QB who actually has more than three plays in the playbook that are past the ten yard line!

voted to pay him!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:38:49 pm by phinphan » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2018, 12:31:46 am »

Our problem is our Salary cap issues,Tannenbaum wants to go on a spending spree,of course.(I'd go with the Cutting Suh June 1st cut,as his Contract will just get worse from this point forward)

Armando says we're hoping for a3rd,or maybe a low 2nd...or a player...We lost our leverage over Landry to sign a team friendly contract,when we tagged him....(According to most of national writers,when we tagged him so early)
That's what writers do isn't it. Speculate. It's PURE speculation, they have NO idea whatsoever what Miami was thinking when they tagged him. It's REAL simple. Tagging him was the right thing to do. They weren't sending a message. They aren't trying to trade him. Now they are going to listen to offers and if someone gives them one they can't refuse then sure they MIGHT trade him, but that's all this is folks. You play the game the way it's setup to be played. You tag him hoping that you will get him to agree to a long term contract that is more cap friendly, but if not you either get him for 1 more year at a salary that isn't too unreasonable or you entertain offers for his services and you take the best offer. That's what you do. That's what you always do. The writers want you to think they know something they don't.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:34:43 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2018, 08:22:11 am »

That's what writers do isn't it. Speculate. It's PURE speculation, they have NO idea whatsoever what Miami was thinking when they tagged him. It's REAL simple. Tagging him was the right thing to do. They weren't sending a message. They aren't trying to trade him. Now they are going to listen to offers and if someone gives them one they can't refuse then sure they MIGHT trade him, but that's all this is folks. You play the game the way it's setup to be played. You tag him hoping that you will get him to agree to a long term contract that is more cap friendly, but if not you either get him for 1 more year at a salary that isn't too unreasonable or you entertain offers for his services and you take the best offer. That's what you do. That's what you always do. The writers want you to think they know something they don't.
They have a better idea about what they are thinking than most of us. They have access that we can only dream about to the team including both players and staff. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray