Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:39:36 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Thee XFL Returns in 2020!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Thee XFL Returns in 2020!  (Read 7977 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 09:41:53 am »

Seems like many people think that things they are in favor of are not political, while things they are against are politicizing sports.  For example, I attended an NBA game last February that had a Black History Month video in between quarters.  I am nearly certain you would consider that political.
I wholeheartedly agree that leagues have the right to set the standard of employment.  But call it what it is.

When the NFL has these parades of tribute to the military before games, don't try to claim it isn't political just because you approve of it.  I would imagine that American citizens who are pacifists and against the glorification of war would find it extremely political.
Actually Black History month has never bothered me nor has Irish-American Heritage Month. If the NBA wants to promote a learning cause where it affects the mojority of the league then I can't see where that is a problem. I wouldn't have an issue with them doing it in the NFL either ... as they support different things all the time.  I have no issue with people embracing their/our history. I do have issue with people coming from other countries and then trying to dictate how we live rather than assimilate as our ancestors did. I also have issue with people trying to live in the past but that goes well beyond racial boundaries.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 01:56:33 pm »

Out of curiosity CF, which of our "ancestors" was it exactly that assimilated with the native tribes when they came to this country ? Seems like they did alot of things and dictating how we live was pretty much in the top 3.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 02:59:30 pm »

Out of curiosity CF, which of our "ancestors" was it exactly that assimilated with the native tribes when they came to this country ? Seems like they did alot of things and dictating how we live was pretty much in the top 3.

You must be referring to the Pilgrims, we celebrate this every year, it's called Thanksgiving.  Roll Eyes
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 03:03:36 pm »

I do have issue with people coming from other countries and then trying to dictate how we live rather than assimilate as our ancestors did.

Yes, because I'm sure you woke up this morning, spent an hour in your sweat lodge, then prayed to the Eagle Spirit to guide you on your journey...

I also have issue with people trying to live in the past but that goes well beyond racial boundaries.

So, your post must have been referring to your ancestors from the future?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 03:44:08 pm »

Straw man argument. All of us, including the Native Americans, came from somewhere else and if you look back far enough .... have been persecuted or taken over by someone else at some time or another. I'm Irish, Cherokee, and English so I guess I'm both a victim and a criminal in your eyes. This would point to why we can't live in the past but move forward and try not to make those same mistakes.

The United States Constitution was adopted on September 17, 1787 and included Article I, section 8, clause 4 of the Constitution expressly gives the United States Congress the power to establish a uniform rule of naturalization. It was at that point we became a nation of laws and as the preamble the states these laws are to "secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity". Posterity means future generations.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 06:51:14 pm »

^^^^  it sounds like you are claiming it is okay for Trump to persecute Mexican Americans because others persecute Irish Americans

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 09:32:54 am »

^^^^  it sounds like you are claiming it is okay for Trump to persecute Mexican Americans because others persecute Irish Americans
Huh? Not sure I get how you reached that conclusion. I stated every race has seen it's share of persecutions and injustice and we should move on from the of the past. We don't gain anything by bringing it up over and over and trying to make people feel guilty for the sins of their ancestors. We actually gain when we can move on and not be reminded of the past.

When a black man is selected as coach of an NFL team no one bats an eye. That's progress and you move on. Bringing up how there used to be no black coaches over and over doesn't help the process ... it just extends the pain.

I've spent a lot of time in therapy and the one thing all counselors seem to agree on is there comes a point when you have to choose to move on or you will never "get-over" it. Don't forget what you've learned but quit looking back. Politics is the exact opposite and it only breaks us down.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 10:27:41 am »

i'll give you the benefit of the doubt CF  .. i was referring to what you said here:
I do have issue with people coming from other countries and then trying to dictate how we live rather than assimilate as our ancestors did.

Just because there are naturalization laws, doesn't mean that immigrants don't have the right o live however they want. They are fully within their rights to come to this country and choose not to assimilate. Just like your ancestors did. If they want to not speak english and they live in a community where it isn't required, then good for them. If they want to live here and decide that they only want to live in Yurts then who cares.

My point was that ancestors didn't assimilate, they forced change when they got here, you can see that when you go to parts of the country settled by different nationalities, be it the irish in boston, or the germans in the midwest or the varied chinatowns or little havana. Time is the only process by which assimilation happens .. time and generational change. That's my point.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 10:53:49 am »

Living by the rules established for the country is assimilating to me. You can live your culture in your community. I don't see an issue with south Florida turning Cuban as that is bound to happen in areas. If you come here and say we need to learn your language or feel you should be able to live by Sharia Law ... then I take issue with things like that. One of those goes against a long standing "tradition of the masses" and the other goes directly against our laws. Coming to America used to be point of pride for immigrants and it should still be. If its not then you shouldn't come.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 01:31:06 pm »

I think the XFL ran it's course
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 06:04:49 pm »

Living by the rules established for the country is assimilating to me. You can live your culture in your community. I don't see an issue with south Florida turning Cuban as that is bound to happen in areas. If you come here and say we need to learn your language or feel you should be able to live by Sharia Law ... then I take issue with things like that. One of those goes against a long standing "tradition of the masses" and the other goes directly against our laws. Coming to America used to be point of pride for immigrants and it should still be. If its not then you shouldn't come.

Nobody has tried to impose Sharia law.  Unless you take "imposing Sharia law" to mean allowing Muslims to practice their own religion.  Having Laws on the books in some states mandating stores close for Christmas is mandating Christian Law.  Allowing a Kosher bakery to be open on Sunday and close on Saturday is not mandating Talmud Law, it is allowing an exception to Christian Law.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2018, 11:11:00 am »

I locked this once. Please leave it locked. Not even close to being on topic
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray