Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:01:51 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  The beginning of the end for the Patriots?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: The beginning of the end for the Patriots?  (Read 10378 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2018, 08:02:31 pm »

How is an average of $27.5M/year a "fair market deal" when the single-year guarantee is $26M?  That doesn't make any sense.

Seems to me that a fair market multi-year deal would be a lower average-per-year than a single-year franchise tender.  Is there another player whose yearly average is more than what a franchise tag would cost?

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2018, 09:04:56 am »

Shrugs shoulders,sports contracts don't make sense....

I know franchising him, means every dollar of that 26 million dollar tag is guaranteed,and goes against the cap versus the contract's "average salary" is just the big numbers player want to be thrown around.That "Average Salary" only a portion is guaranteed...

Cousins,and Brees are free agents,Carr,and Stafford just signed big deals...That's the market,and what they're paying...

I imagine there are quite a few players that their avg salary is more than the franchise tag...I know 1 ...an he's on the Dolphins Suh,is currently almost DOUBLE the 1 yr franchise tag for DT's it was like 13.5-ish million in 2017...

Don't like it...oh well ...I'm not going to waste anymore time thinking about it...I'm more concerned about the Dolphins....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:07:07 am by DaLittle B » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2018, 10:48:17 am »

That is a lot of money.  Unless he is good enough to cause 49rs fans to consider Joe the 2nd best qb to play for them they spent too much.  Could be difficult to build a team around him with tha much cash tied up in one player.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2018, 11:18:48 am »

I imagine there are quite a few players that their avg salary is more than the franchise tag...I know 1 ...an he's on the Dolphins Suh,is currently almost DOUBLE the 1 yr franchise tag for DT's it was like 13.5-ish million in 2017...
In Suh's case, the Dolphins had to convince him to sign there.  The only team that could have had him for the franchise tag price was DET.

That isn't the case for JG in SF.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2018, 11:19:29 am »

The beginning of the end of the Patriots?

No.

The beginning of the end of Ron Borges coveringthe Patriots?

Now the question is a yes.  Original question left out three key words.  Smiley

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2018, 11:20:24 am »

They had to spend too much for a chance at a franchise QB.  If he sucks, he can join the likes of Osweiller, but if he's good, you've locked up you franchise QB for years.  I say you take that chance.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2018, 11:24:08 am »

The franchise tag is determined by the average top 5 players at that position salaries in that year*...There is always going to be players making more than the franchise tag...

I don't give a flying fuck Why the Dolphins paid him...It's still a mistake IMO...

I made a mistake on Suh's number his average Salary is about 20,his Number against the cap is nearly twice the franchise tag number 26.1 million this year...His contract is 2 years old,so the DT franchise tag number has gone up based on his salary the past 2 seasons.(He makes 2 million dollars more than any other DT in the league.

Sorry so pissy, got my ass chewed at work.. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:42:43 am by DaLittle B » Logged

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2018, 01:02:00 pm »

Both Keenum and Cousins will end up with larger contracts.  And, if he can wiggle his way out of Philly, Foles will wind up with a large deal as well.  Personally I think Jimmy is going to be really good.  In this league teams pay for good QBs.  It's how it works.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2018, 01:08:19 pm »

The beginning of the end of the Patriots?

No.

The beginning of the end of Ron Borges coveringthe Patriots?

Now the question is a yes.  Original question left out three key words.  Smiley

Generally speaking, as a former beat writer, I can confirm this:

It's always good to verify your contacts. 

I mean...it's really complicated, the verification "thing."  But holy crap.

For anyone out of the loop - this morning the Boston Herald ran an article this morning stating that Brady was going to hold out next season unless he got paid (exceeding Jimmy's deal).  The author of the article cited Brady's agent, Don Yee (I think I'm spelling it correctly); stating he had contact with him through text messages and then a verbal conversation the previous night.

Problem was the "agent" was really a fan pretending to be the agent and trolling the reporter.  And he fell for it.  The article stayed on-line for hours after it was exposed and calls into question the writer's entire body of work.  You can't have a slip like this happen and not have it go nuclear, it ruins you.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2018, 01:24:06 pm »

Ron Borges was also busted for plagiarizing articles back in 2007.  So this is fool me once, shame on... you, fool me can't get fooled again territory.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2018, 01:56:59 pm »

They took down the online story.  But not so easy to erase all the print editions with that being the lead story of the sports section.  Ron Bogus was fired from the Globe for the plagiarism, the Herald standards being what they are almost immediately hired him.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2018, 01:58:37 pm »

Hmm autocorrect seems to be very fitting for said reporters name.   Smiley Smiley Smiley

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2018, 02:49:20 pm »

That is a lot of money.  Unless he is good enough to cause 49rs fans to consider Joe the 2nd best qb to play for them they spent too much.  Could be difficult to build a team around him with tha much cash tied up in one player.

For all the bean counters in the room... Garoppolo won't even be among the top-3 highest paid QBs in the league when the season starts, and by year 4 of that contract, if we haven't extended him, he will be in the bottom half of the league in annual salary.

What a bah-gain!

And, even at that bargain rate, he'll still be one of the top-3 QBs in the league.

But yeah, please continue wringing your hands over how much money a team on the other side of the country is paying their QB.

It amuses me...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2018, 06:08:51 pm »

I'm always skeptical of the clamor for some QB's that have very limited actual NFL playing experience, like Flynn, Garoppolo, or that crappy AJ Feeley the Dolphins got from Philly a decade ago.  But all signs so far are that Garoppolo is going to be a legitimate top 10 NFL QB.  Osweiller went from one of the top NFL teams to a pretty good NFL team in the Texans, and just stunk; which shows he's just not good.  Conversely, Garoppolo went to a team that was 1-10 (with their lone win against the lowly NY Giants) and proceeded to win five straight, against some very good teams (Titans, Jags, & Rams).  Maybe JimmyG will regress now that there is more film on him and teams can game plan against him better, but IMO SanFran did the right thing in locking him up.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2018, 10:36:27 am »

I'm always skeptical of the clamor for some QB's that have very limited actual NFL playing experience, like Flynn, Garoppolo, or that crappy AJ Feeley the Dolphins got from Philly a decade ago.  But all signs so far are that Garoppolo is going to be a legitimate top 10 NFL QB.  Osweiller went from one of the top NFL teams to a pretty good NFL team in the Texans, and just stunk; which shows he's just not good.  Conversely, Garoppolo went to a team that was 1-10 (with their lone win against the lowly NY Giants) and proceeded to win five straight, against some very good teams (Titans, Jags, & Rams).  Maybe JimmyG will regress now that there is more film on him and teams can game plan against him better, but IMO SanFran did the right thing in locking him up.

Bingo.  This is why it's a big risk.  Once there was enough film on Colin Kaepernick and teams started figuring him out, he got exposed as a one-dimensional QB.  This is going to be a big boom or a big bust

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray