Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:22:52 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Modernizing your home
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Modernizing your home  (Read 2206 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: February 13, 2018, 05:00:22 pm »

I bought a house at the end of last year and I'm doing basic repairs and a lot of updating.

Everything from painting, replacing switches and outlets, and doing drywall fixes.

I've also put a new dishwasher in and fixed some window issues.
Eventually, I will have to move on to more major stuff.

Even things like removing unnecessary stuff (like excess wiring or window coverings) makes a pretty big difference.

I find that you can drop BIG MONEY REAL QUICK at a place like Home Depot, because every little choice costs money and you can do it rather cheap or you can go high end...it adds up.

For those who have done this, where do you feel like you got the best results for your money?  What changes really helped make your home feel like yours?

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:06:30 pm »

It really is going to be different for everyone. You are starting where most people I know do. Replacing switches, outlets, and light sources are big. Getting a new toilet is really cool but that can then also lead to an entire bathroom remodel. No matter what you work on, it won't be cheap and if you are anything like me it usually winds up with multiple trips to hardware stores. This is especially true with plumbing.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:38:18 am »

If you can get solar panels thru a PPA agreement you can modernize your home and save money.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 11:18:51 am »

If you can get solar panels thru a PPA agreement you can modernize your home and save money.

Explain?

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 12:43:18 pm »

I'm a the roof is leaking,I'll scurry up the roof and patch it type guy.I also love to think outside the box...I love the taking advantage of every inch of space like they do in Tiny houses...

While I've lived in this house...errr shack for 20 years this year..(on and off) I don't own it, ab being built in 1888 Modern is a relative term...

I agree with Phish that depend on you,and your lifestyle.

I'd love to have a tankless hot water heater,and have been lobbying the landlord for years for one...

My stupid advice...(Not really modernizing)
- Things are going to pop up in the next 6 months....Rainy season the sewer backs up,When it gets really hot outside a certain room develop's a funky smell,etc,etc....
- Little projects/things can lead to bigger problems. Decide to move an outlet or light,find water damage type thing...
- I avoid Lowes,Home depot,etc the best I can I look at discount places,Habitat for humanity restore,type places as well as shop online...

My recent trouble IMO is a good example...
I've wanted a new heater,once that wasn't made in the 1950's.I found a good deal on a ventless heater online,and ran it by the Landlord,he said ok. Since it hangs on the wall,(for aesthetics,and some  heat shielding) I looked into wood panels,paneling,concrete board,etc.I went with laminate flooring,hung on the wall (I looks like wood,and can be used with under floor radiant heating).I found one I liked at Home depot,but it would take close to 3 boxes at like $50 a box.I found the nearly same color/style at the discount place near my house for about $20 a box. I hung the flooring on the wall,hung the heater,and got everything installed.It's awesome,I've never been as warm in the winter here.

Cry The downside, I have no insulation in this old house,daily I'm cleaning the mold off the exterior walls.A couple of weeks ago laying in bed early in the morning, I thought it was raining outside. That afternoon, went under my bed to pull something out,and it was literally raining water under my bed.The bed sit next to an outer wall,and room being so warm,(the bedspread going to the ground) caused condensation to form under my bed.

Sorry for being long winded... Embarrassed (Modifed to fix something minor)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:19:21 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 01:25:01 pm »

My understanding of PPA is that a contractor will install equipment at your property and keep the control of it. They will sell you power at a reduced rate. I have no idea about how the contract deals with things such as roof repairs,  etc. We are in Florida after all.

At one time Florida law did not allow PPAs but that may have changed.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:28:43 pm by Phishfan » Logged
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 01:29:28 pm »

Having bought an old house (12) years ago I've been working on updating it for all these years, I figure by the time I've replaced/updated everything I'll have to start all over.  Like you the first thing I did was put a fresh coat of paint on all the rooms, and the outside also because it really needed.  Replaced all the cheap plastic outlet and light switch covers with some quality metal ones.  Paying $7 to $10 per cover really adds up, but I think it's worth it.  One thing I did a couple years ago was to put crown moulding in my living room, with accent pieces in the corners and ends (The accent pieces for the corners add cost, but for a DIYer it makes the job much easier since you don't have to worry about making the corner joint exact).  Probably cost $300 including paint, but really adds a classy touch and makes the room look great.  I also did a good amount of outside work (stone walls/stone bricks for edging/mulch/plants/bushes, etc.) this can add up quick, but it gives you a good feeling when you pull in the driveway.  For the big projects you just need to plan ahead based on need first (like when is the roof going to need to be replaced) then on aesthetics.  I've finally gotten both bathrooms and my kitchen redone, with the kitchen being by far the biggest expense (that's like two or three years worth of improvements expense).  My suggestion on the big items is wait until you can do it all at once because if you do it half-way it looks bad and will annoy you.  Good Luck!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 03:48:21 pm »

warning: long post on solar panels

I recently (Dec 2017) got a solar panel system along with a Tesla Powerwall home battery.  To help get people off of the grid during peak summertime electricity usage, CA has substantial rebates on  the battery; the battery was $10k installed, but I get $5400 in state rebate and $3000 (30%) in federal tax credit for a battery system that is charged by solar panels.  Total money back is $8400, so net installed cost for the Powerwall was $1600.  I can use it for backup during power outages, or I can charge it during the day from my solar panels and run my house off of it when the sun goes down.

My solar panel system is a total of 4.2kW, and based on my hours of daylight I should be able to generate about 7800 kWh/year from it.  I pulled all my electricity bills going back to 2011:

2017: $1,472.76 / 6,824 kWh = $0.2158/kWh
2016: $1,538.58 / 7,418 kWh  = $0.2074/kWh
2015: $1,944.44 / 9,864 kWh = $0.1971/kWh
2014: $1,532.43 / 9,617 kWh = $0.1593/kWh
2013: $1,580.19 / 10,079 kWh = $0.1567/kWh
2012: $1,250.30 / 7,559 kWh = $0.1654/kWh
2011: $966.98 / 6,793 kWh = $0.1423/kWh

(I bought an electric vehicle in 2013 and I had a roommate from 2013-2015)

Based on my electricity rates last year, my solar panels should offset up to ~$1600/yr in electricity costs.  The net cost of the entire system was ~$9800 after federal tax credits, which puts my ROI time around 6 years (on a system with 10-15 year warranty that has a life expectancy of 20 years).  That's a pretty good return.

Obviously you aren't going to get the CA state battery rebate in FL, but the 30% federal rebate still exists through the end of 2018.  If you are considering solar, now is a very good time to pull the trigger.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 06:37:54 pm »

My understanding of PPA is that a contractor will install equipment at your property and keep the control of it. They will sell you power at a reduced rate. I have no idea about how the contract deals with things such as roof repairs,  etc. We are in Florida after all.

At one time Florida law did not allow PPAs but that may have changed.
The teo companys i am familar with solar city (now Tesla) and vivint if a huricane was to destroy your roof and the solar you or your insurance wouldbe responsible for the roof and the solar company would replace the solar.  If the installation of the panels caused the damage the solar company would repair the roof.  Keep in mind solar will extend the life of your roof.  Uv rays is what causes most roof wear and tear.  Panels block that.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 12:47:23 pm »

warning: long post on solar panels

I recently (Dec 2017) got a solar panel system along with a Tesla Powerwall home battery.  To help get people off of the grid during peak summertime electricity usage, CA has substantial rebates on  the battery; the battery was $10k installed, but I get $5400 in state rebate and $3000 (30%) in federal tax credit for a battery system that is charged by solar panels.  Total money back is $8400, so net installed cost for the Powerwall was $1600.  I can use it for backup during power outages, or I can charge it during the day from my solar panels and run my house off of it when the sun goes down.

My solar panel system is a total of 4.2kW, and based on my hours of daylight I should be able to generate about 7800 kWh/year from it.  I pulled all my electricity bills going back to 2011:

2017: $1,472.76 / 6,824 kWh = $0.2158/kWh
2016: $1,538.58 / 7,418 kWh  = $0.2074/kWh
2015: $1,944.44 / 9,864 kWh = $0.1971/kWh
2014: $1,532.43 / 9,617 kWh = $0.1593/kWh
2013: $1,580.19 / 10,079 kWh = $0.1567/kWh
2012: $1,250.30 / 7,559 kWh = $0.1654/kWh
2011: $966.98 / 6,793 kWh = $0.1423/kWh

(I bought an electric vehicle in 2013 and I had a roommate from 2013-2015)

Based on my electricity rates last year, my solar panels should offset up to ~$1600/yr in electricity costs.  The net cost of the entire system was ~$9800 after federal tax credits, which puts my ROI time around 6 years (on a system with 10-15 year warranty that has a life expectancy of 20 years).  That's a pretty good return.

Obviously you aren't going to get the CA state battery rebate in FL, but the 30% federal rebate still exists through the end of 2018.  If you are considering solar, now is a very good time to pull the trigger.

Tell me more about your electric vehicle.  I'm thinking of getting one for my next one

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray