Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:13:24 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Winter Olympics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Winter Olympics  (Read 7969 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: February 13, 2018, 09:14:49 pm »

Is anyone watching? Do you have any sports you particularly like? Is there anything you can't stand?

I'm watching at least a little every night. I have always been huge on the hockey (being old enough to have watched "The Miracle on Ice") but I am really bummed the NFL would not let it's players compete this year. I'm not sure what to expect with the product. I will probably fall in line and watch though. I really enjoy curling and expect to see someone else say they hate it. I'm really down to watch just about all competitions except for the figure skating and ice dancing.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 11:14:36 pm »

We have been getting pretty thorough coverage here down under, the most focus being on the events Australians are competing such as moguls, snowboarding, aerials which are quite entertaining to watch.

Some of the events have been very dramatic, with the champion favorites seriously challenged and pulling out all stops on their last attempt to win gold, great stuff. Shaun White, Natalie Geisenberger, Maren Lundby, Mikael Kinsbury, incredible, just incredible, I salut you! One notable exception was the huge upset in the mens luge where Felix Loch (who had been dominant the previous three runs) fluffed it halfway through and missed out completely on a medal: again it was very dramatic finale, with underdog David Gleirscher (who barely scraped on to the Austrian team) setting what would end up being the winning time and watching as each following competitor failed to better it, moving into an unexpected medal winning position, and when Felix cocked up, the gold.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:21:53 am »

I've watched a lot of the snowboarding and some curling to this point. The Winter games aren't quite as enjoyable to me as the Summer games, but there are a few events that I really get into.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 12:23:10 pm »

Is anyone watching? Do you have any sports you particularly like? Is there anything you can't stand?

I'm watching at least a little every night. I have always been huge on the hockey (being old enough to have watched "The Miracle on Ice") but I am really bummed the NFL would not let it's players compete this year. I'm not sure what to expect with the product. I will probably fall in line and watch though. I really enjoy curling and expect to see someone else say they hate it. I'm really down to watch just about all competitions except for the figure skating and ice dancing.
I'd be more bummed they didn't let NHL players play.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 01:03:53 pm »

I've just started watching some, I like the curling - I was actually watching some of the prelims on TV a month or more ago.  One thing I didn't like was watching Shaun White drag the American Flag across the ground while stepping on it after winning a Gold Medal last night.  I get that he was emotional, but it's not like it was his first win.  They tried to turn this into a scripted great video for tv and failed miserably in my opinion.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 01:06:52 pm »

I'd be more bummed they didn't let NHL players play.

Good catch
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 04:20:05 pm »

I enjoy women's curling.  Especially when the Scandinavian women's teams are competing.  Lots of close-up tv shots in that sport.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 05:38:27 pm »

I've just started watching some, I like the curling - I was actually watching some of the prelims on TV a month or more ago.  One thing I didn't like was watching Shaun White drag the American Flag across the ground while stepping on it after winning a Gold Medal last night.  I get that he was emotional, but it's not like it was his first win.  They tried to turn this into a scripted great video for tv and failed miserably in my opinion.
He apologized and didn't realize he was doing it. Did you see him go to his mother? Dude lost it. There is no doubt he appreciated this gold more than the ones when he was a kid. I think we can let him slide.

I watch most everything that Americans are actually "competing" in but I love the snow board races. It's one of the few I can watch without having the USA in a heat.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 10:52:17 am »

That and short track speed skating are both really cool.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 12:07:28 pm »

We sent the most athletes ever to these Winter Olympics and are posting the worst results in over 20 years. Our best event is the snowboard and we are losing ground there as well. I saw one of the skaters who was expected to do very well say he fell to the pressure. Technologically speaking we are far advanced but I can't help but believe we are getting softer as a nation the farther we get away from the greatest generation. If all things were equal .... our grandparents would kick our grandkids' butts.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 01:48:05 pm »

We sent the most athletes ever to these Winter Olympics and are posting the worst results in over 20 years. Our best event is the snowboard and we are losing ground there as well. I saw one of the skaters who was expected to do very well say he fell to the pressure. Technologically speaking we are far advanced but I can't help but believe we are getting softer as a nation the farther we get away from the greatest generation. If all things were equal .... our grandparents would kick our grandkids' butts.
I think "if all things were equal" doesn't apply.  Our grandparents were brought up with less opportunity, knowledge, etc, so they made up that with work ethic.  Now, generations are brought up with less hardships, but more opportunity and knowledge.  If all things were equal, our grandparents generation would most certainly outperform the current generation just on that alone, you had to be tougher and more dedicated.  The work ethic of old isn't needed in today's generation because...knowledge is power! derp. or there are more opportunities, or the knowledge of the human body shows how work smart instead of work hard.

I can't compare the two, it's like comparing the bronze age to the industrial age.  It's not that far a reach, look at the differences in how we live from our grandparents to present day, and the same applies across sports.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:50:55 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 03:12:25 pm »

Other countries have the same conveniences but they seem to be getting better. Think complacency has much to do with it? When you look at the number of people in the US versus countries like Norway it is mind boggling. Norway has 5 million to our 321 million. We are 24th if you go by population to medals and Norway, who is leading the medal count, is at the top behind only Liechtenstein who has about 35,000 people and one medal.   

I know locally there is a huge complaint about commitment from kids in youth sports. It gets hard and they quit so coaches are constantly being encouraged to coddle them. I fear for the future.

OMG ... while I was writing this I get notified the Olympic skiers are backing out of the inaugural team event because they don't think they can win. Wow!! Go team USA!

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 05:39:52 pm »

It could also be that other countries emphasize quality of life and have a much stronger social support system so that their college kids don't have to work crap jobs just to feed themselves while their universities are profiting off of them. Places like germany and finland actually pay their students to go to school, have universal health care and strong worker protections.  No wonder they're doing better.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 05:47:30 pm »

Coud also be those really arent our sports.  My high school had a swim team and basket ball team but no curling or speed skating team.  I bet that was true at your school too. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 10:58:56 pm »

My two counterpoints to Hoodie would be that other countries don't have those sports in their education system either and that it is quite common for many world class athletes to be too advanced to play in
high school
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray