Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:46:52 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  NCAA Michigan State Abuse Investigation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NCAA Michigan State Abuse Investigation  (Read 2491 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« on: January 25, 2018, 04:01:32 pm »

It will be interesting to see what penalties the NCAA will assess against Michigan State following the sexual assaults committed by Larry Nassar against Spartan athletes, as well as USA gymnasts.  To me this is ten times worse than what Sandusky did (as it relates to the NCAA), as there were multiple reports to many university employees, over years, and no one did anything.  Sandusky's actions, for the most part, did not occur on university property while he was on the university staff, nor with students at the university.  This cannot be said for Nassar's actions, which spread across at least five different athletic programs.  Will those programs be stripped of wins, as was done at Penn State??  Will the various programs be stripped of future scholarships for athletes?  Not to mention are the legal authorities going to go after the university employees that did not report the abuse to police, as was done at Penn State?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 04:49:30 pm »

Not meaning to be insensitive, but I'll really be happy when this shit isn't bunging up my sports surfing...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:21:04 pm »

Not meaning to be insensitive, but I'll really be happy when this shit isn't bunging up my sports surfing...

I would be a lot more happy if the abuse creased.  Your comment was insensitive and basicly the same as complaining that on Sept 11 2001 news coverage was interfering with your tv watching.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 08:45:10 am »

I would be a lot more happy if the abuse creased.  Your comment was insensitive and basicly the same as complaining that on Sept 11 2001 news coverage was interfering with your tv watching.

A terrorist attack on our country that killed thousands...versus one sick fucker abusing a handful of young girls.

I think your comparison is more offensive than my comment.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 03:49:53 pm »

The comparison is slightly more nuanced than that.

The Nassar abuses took place over 20 years, and dozens of people knew about them yet chose to do nothing (or actively cover them up).  That's not the same thing as a surprise attack that killed thousands, but it involves a lot more willful participation from separate individuals responsible for preventing it than 9/11 did.

If 9/11 killed one-tenth as many people, but it happened over two decades and many people who knew about it chose to look the other way, is that better or worse than actual 9/11?  The loss of life is less, but the willful complicity is far, far worse.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 12:02:57 am »

The comparison is simple.  The problem isn't that there is news coverage, the problem is it happened.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 08:46:36 am »

The comparison is simple.  The problem isn't that there is news coverage, the problem is it happened.

The first problem is that it happened. The second problem is that there's way too much news coverage about it.

~ Micah Leggat
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 01:53:12 pm »

they should just shut down all NCAA athletics programs from michigan state going forward, allow no new scholarships to be given out, allow the current athletes to play out their contracts or allow all athletes from there to transfer without eligibility loss.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 01:21:01 pm »

I think the Nassar thing is far worse than what's happened at Penn State and, contrary to what ‘Stroke said, there isn’t ENOUGH coverage to it.  It’s amazing (and not in a good way) what this animal did to this women / girls, right under people’s noses.  Some, too ignorant to understand; blinded by their own ambition and driving their children at any and all cost.  Others flat out refusing to hear the truth.

It’s crazy how often these women were failed.  Over and over and over again.

Nassar is like a cockroach.  Turn on the light and you see the surface of the issue but never truly comprehend the true gravity of the situation.  There are thousands of others out there.  The more (and louder) this story is on – the more it’s brought to light.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 11:24:02 pm »

What amazes me is it that there were women making these allegations to school officials at the time of the fiasco at Penn State and people just swept it under the rug or purposely ignored knowing about it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray