Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:15:36 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  2018 2nd String QB
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 2018 2nd String QB  (Read 4323 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 03:58:35 pm »

^^ Several people have Miami taking Mayfield. I just don't see it happening. If I was going to drop a buck on a random "pick the player," my dollar would go on CB Denzel Ward.
I saw another place that had us doing that. What would be the reason to draft a CB? It seems like one of the few places we aren't hurting.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 11:21:12 am »

if gase thinks mayfield is a winner i see us going with him
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 11:53:52 am »

With so many areas of need for this team, I just can't get on board with drafting a QB in round 1.  Unless maybe Tannehill's knee has not recovered the way the team has hoped and they think they are going to need a starting QB this year instead of a future starter. 
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 03:42:51 pm »

I'm ok with Miami taking a QB in the first round on 2 conditions.

1) He's the best player available on the board at the time they draft. You can debate whether you should draft for need or draft for best player available, but you have to do one or the other and you don't NEED a QB. Sure a QB would be nice, but you don't NEED one. Speculation that Tannehill won't be healthy in 2018 doesn't make it a NEED pick. So if Miami honestly feels that a QB is the best available player when they draft, then I'm ok with taking one.

2) He's the backup to Tannehill in 2018. If you do choose a QB because he's the best available player, then don't put any pressure on him to start in 2018. If Tannehill does go down and the rookie is ready, fine play him, but ideally whomever it is should sit for at the very least the first part of the year and watch.

If you agree with the above, then I can see Baker Mayfield or one of the other top QB's being drafted by Miami. In my opinion none of these guys are ready to start in 2018, but if they are going to back up Tannehill for a year and then perhaps take over for him at some point should he get hurt again or maybe you just decide not to pay his contract for 2019, that's fine. That's a good long term approach to the QB position. Just drafting a QB because well you're not sure if Tannehill is the guy is a very BAD approach to this draft.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 04:55:31 pm »

You can debate whether you should draft for need or draft for best player available,

Those are not the only two options.  A third method is best available upgrade.  With bap you draft without concern for need.  With need you say our biggest need is position X and you draft the best player at that position.  Best available upgrade is a hybrid approach.  All teams could field a team right now if need be (minus maybe kicker and long snapper if vacant, but every team has a quarterback, 4 dbs, an oline etc.  so you start with today's team and say who is the best upgrade. if I add a and cut b, will that be a better improvement than drafting c and cutting D. 

Based on that methodology the player would need to be significantly better Cutler and Moore AND there needs to be nobody on the board that would be a starter as a rookie.  It is okay to draft a backup QB instead of a backup linebacker, but it is not a good idea to draft a backup of any position if you can draft a starter at a different position.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 05:17:56 pm »

OK, then he better be best available upgrade. With our LB, OL and TE groups I'd say that's gonna be next to impossible to convince me the BAU is a backup QB.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:42:27 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 09:57:02 pm »

Given last year's TE disaster roster move, I have every confidence they will sign 87 year old Antonio Gates for about $12M per year since he is a free agent right now. 
doctord56
Uber Member

first dolphin game attended 11/6/66 bills29 fins 0

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 07:51:12 pm »

Given last year's TE disaster roster move, I have every confidence they will sign 87 year old Antonio Gates for about $12M per year since he is a free agent right now. 

Mike Ditka could still suit up as a TE for the Phins. He's only 78, but could probably run better than Thomas and Cameron.

A loyal fan of the 'fins since the time of Joe Auer, Dick Wood, and Wahoo McDaniel.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 01:32:47 pm »

I'm still in the wanting a younger back up (who could become the starter),that hasn't changed,but I'm not exactly thrilled with who is actually making the call on whom that will be.I'm seriously not comfortable drafting a QB in the 1st round,at this point,with the current state of our team.

Trading Landry (and his production),the flop D.Parker,and barely shows up K.Stills + no TE of any consequence. Add the fact this front office spent 3 picks on L.Carroo,and gotten exactly 10 catches out of him 2 years.The shitshow that is our O-line,our old,overpriced DL,our defense we just keep dumping money and picks into to be average at best...

Yeah I get it,they'll overpay for some shitty bodge guy's in free agency,Tannenbaum will probably swing some trades for more questionable fringe/bodge players,but most of the moves this front office makes just seems to sink us as a franchise. Cry

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 04:52:08 pm »

You guys are in no position to talk considering you couldn't beat my team with him ON THE BENCH.  If he had been 100% healthy, it would've been a massacre.
Yeah, TB was so unfairly disadvantaged when their starting QB was out due to injury, while those lucky ducks in MIA had to deal with nothing of the sort.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 01:34:24 pm »

I think I may have drank some of the Johnny Manziel Kool Aid this morning, because I'm actually starting to think it would be good for the Dolphins to bring him into camp.  Now I know there is no way that is going to happen given the current regime moves that have been made.  But...he's saying all the right things, did a work out at San Diego's pro day with some receivers expected to be 3rd round guys.  He got married, and is supposedly clean and sober.  13 teams did show up to watch him yesterday.  I actually would like to see him in camp, albeit with a one strike and your gone contingency, and regular drug testing.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 04:09:10 pm »

I think I may have drank some of the Johnny Manziel Kool Aid this morning, because I'm actually starting to think it would be good for the Dolphins to bring him into camp.  Now I know there is no way that is going to happen given the current regime moves that have been made.  But...he's saying all the right things, did a work out at San Diego's pro day with some receivers expected to be 3rd round guys.  He got married, and is supposedly clean and sober.  13 teams did show up to watch him yesterday.  I actually would like to see him in camp, albeit with a one strike and your gone contingency, and regular drug testing.

If I was a GM I would sign him to an incentive laden contract with little guaranteed money.    He certainly has the potential to be an elite QB, but is high risk of falling off the wagon. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 05:21:32 pm »

Well the Dolphins signed Brock Osweiler, another link to Gase.  Hopefully the Dolphins aren't paying him more than the $775,000 that Denver paid him last year.  I really don't like the nepotism that goes on with coaches that bring in assistants and players from prior losing organizations/players that haven't faired well.  It reminds me of all the losers that Wannstedt brought in from the terrible teams he coached in Chicago.  To me Osweiler is an interception machine, that hid behind a great defense in Denver.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray