Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:48:39 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  The fight against spam and telemarketing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The fight against spam and telemarketing  (Read 1898 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: March 13, 2018, 10:53:25 am »

I go through waves of being irritated by this.

I hate telemarketing calls.  I am getting calls a lot, though, routed through India, telling me that they can lower my debt (I have no debt).  These are regular.  The minute I question it, they hang up immediately.  It's maddening.

I also get calls about student loans (I have none), health insurance, home alarms, etc.

I am on the Do Not Call list.

I know that when you purchase things, sometimes you unknowingly or accidentally agree to be contacted by a company's vendors.  I imagine that's what happened here.  But I don't know where I did this, so I can undo it.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop it?

And with spam email, I am very good about the constant unsubscribe.  But the generic "For Dave with a generic URL and no body text" just seem to roll end endlessly, with fake TO addresses and no FROM.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 12:18:23 pm »

I share your pain.  I don't even answer my phone anymore unless it is someone I know.  If it is someone I actually want to talk to, they can leave a message and I will call them back.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 02:43:45 pm »

My landline gets 3-4 a day,on top of the numerous wrong numbers,my cell has gotten many more scams calls in the past 4-6 months.For the past 6-8 weeks 3-4 times a week,I'm getting voicemails,saying one of my vehicles is on the airbag recall list,call a number,or call the local dealer.I've called a couple different Dodge dealers,and it's too old to be on the recalls.

Emails,Especially from places that I might have ordered something 5 years ago,and suddenly welcoming me to their newsletter/coupons/Promotion emails blasts has sky rocketed in the past 2 years.

I'm the guy that doesn't join "rewards" clubs with stores,and refuse to give a phone number when they ask for one at the store.I always ask Why? Some places their employees get down right rude/offended,like I asked for a roll in the hay or something,just asking why then refusing to give a number...

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 03:03:13 pm »

Any time I sign up for anything like that, I always type one digit of my phone number wrong. I almost never get any spam calls on my phone. I do get wrong number calls for some woman named Alissa who, based on the number of different guys trying to reach her, is apparently quite popular.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 03:56:04 pm »

You and Alissa probably use the same strategy.  Smiley
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 04:34:42 pm »

I don't get why you guys get spam emails in your inbox. Is it your work email? I don't use that for anything except company stuff and not even social things with colleagues. For personal use, I have two Gmail accounts. One was for "real" things, the other for anything that was completely unimportant after the first mail. Even that account, though, doesn't get ANY spam anymore. Even the newsletters I'd signed up for to get a rebate of whatever wind up in the spam filter.

In terms of real false positives, the only one I've had recently was an order confirmation from Apple's online store.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 01:29:54 pm »

I'd just like to say that I hate you with the power of a thousand suns for not having any student loan debt.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 10:29:23 am »

Don't answer calls coming from unknown numbers (and then block the number if you know it's spammy).  Emails, experts are now saying it's worse to click links to unsubscribe, you're opening yourself up to further exposure.  Just delete unwanted email, it takes two seconds.

It's the new norm.  Ignore and delete.

I don't know how wide spread this is, in my area a popular exchange for cell phone numbers is:  (207) 233 - ____

Spam calls are coming through with similar numbers - they are real people.  Somehow numbers have been obtained and the "ding" other numbers.  When they actually get people to answer it confirms active numbers, those numbers are then sent to other data basis.  Thus, its really important to just not answer if you don't know the number.  Let it go to voice mail.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 10:59:55 am »

If the number is not in my contacts list I don't answer.

Spam doesn't bother me, it takes a second to delete.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:11:31 am »

I get tons of invaild number,unavailable calls...The other 1 is spoofing my number back to me...

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 11:14:39 am »

I don't know how wide spread this is, in my area a popular exchange for cell phone numbers is:  (207) 233 - ____

Spam calls are coming through with similar numbers - they are real people.  Somehow numbers have been obtained and the "ding" other numbers.  When they actually get people to answer it confirms active numbers, those numbers are then sent to other data basis. 

If they get an answering machine, wouldn't that also confirm that it's an active number?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 11:26:04 am »

So, I have a solution that's been working for me.

If you have AT&T, they have a good (and free) app call "Call Protect".  It predicts (or knows what's been reported as) telemarketing calls.  So, it sends you those calls, but tells you that they're telemarketers.  But in some cases, if the caller is particularly egregious or potentially scam-worthy, it is blocked at the satellite level and never makes it to your phone.  Instead, they just list a log of blocked calls.

It has helped a lot.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 03:07:36 pm »

Not sure how they are doing it but we get them from local numbers. Call it back and they have no idea what you are talking about. In one odd instance my wife has gotten them from her own number as well as had people call her and tell her to stop calling them. crazy

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 03:44:26 pm »

^^Spoofing the numbers out of the phone book,or online phone directory?

I had to share this one on the landline this morning........ Grin

Please,park it in the back yard....

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray