Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:41:55 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Workplace Ethics:Is doing personal errands on company time,ok?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Workplace Ethics:Is doing personal errands on company time,ok?  (Read 5256 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 09:53:33 pm »

They don't say "I've worked my time for this week I'm leaving", but there are to be sure some of them that work 35 hours a week or less on occassion if not pretty regularly. Coming in late. Leaving early. Taking long lunches. Running errands during the day. Making personal phone calls etc etc etc.
Of course.  I have done this many times.

If you put a gun to my head, I would concede that this behavior - behavior I have regularly engaged in myself - is unethical.  But then again, if you're supposed to take a (federally mandated) 15-minute break on the clock and you take 18 minutes, that's also unethical.  And, strictly speaking, if you write yourself a note on a company post-it and take it home, that too is unethical.

There are obviously shades of gray.  I do believe that the answer to B's question is that it is unethical, but more because a boss is asking an underling to short company time without even the pretense that it will be made up for later.  But I don't think it's so "unethical" that anyone should actually care.

SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 11:36:26 am »

I let my people have a lot of slack in their work hours. They're mostly salaried though, and it's a small business. We also try to do free lunches for everyone (5-6 of us) at least once a week.

I don't find anything wrong with it as long as it doesn't become excessive and the work is done at a level of acceptable quality.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray