Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:51:10 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Have you bought/done something that might be interpreted as mid-life crisis?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Have you bought/done something that might be interpreted as mid-life crisis?  (Read 1869 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: March 23, 2018, 01:06:20 pm »

I mean to post this when I was earlier,but forgot too...

This came up a couple of days ago on the morning news shows when Ben Affleck's back tattoo pic taken recently in Hawaii,it is real,not for a movie,blah,blah,blah..

It got mentioned on the radio,the underlings started talking about,and one commented after seeing it on her phone...
Along the lines of...
"Oh Geez,his marriage was on the rocks,and he did it for his mid life crisis,I'm still young ,and cool...." She went on to tell a story about all the things her Dad did.

I realize most of us here are in the 30-50ish age range,and might have bought something,done something that could be interpreted by people as a midlife crisis thing

So have you bought something,or done something that could be thought of by someone as a midlife crisis?

Maybe it was you bought something/did something you really wanted when you were younger,and now can afford to buy it now that you're older..

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 01:18:54 pm »

I have bought things that I wanted when I was younger,and generally that hadn't turned out near as good as I thought it would.More specifically,R.C.Airplanes/Helicopters back in 2003/04/05ish.

My biggest issue with that was my overly practical side,bought it,fly it for 10 minutes crash it,spend 30 minutes to repair it.Then buy more parts to fly for those few minutes of perfect weather,etc...It felt like the money/time/energy was far greater than 10-20 minutes of fun of flying them. Cry

I admit 2 things I'd still like to buy/have before I get a little too old for...
1.) - A pure bred Husky,I currently have a Husky/Lab mix...I love her SOOoo much,but when I blow a knee (currently as I type this with recovering from a blown knee),bad weather,I can't take her outside to run her/keep her active/play with her enough.I'm 42 my knees aren't going to get better,and the opportunity to get a Husky might be gone...

2.) Jeep Wrangler -I've always wanted one when I was younger,and my family always dis-swayed me away from owning one. They are higher than hell here for the little older ones I'd want.Added to my overly practical side that really wants a hybrid/fully electric Jeep Wrangler,means it would be a a nearly completely custom.This like the Husky,Age,and Bad knees means it's probably not gonna happen.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 01:43:47 pm »

If I had more money and/or wasn't so practical I would definitely foster the mid-life crisis.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 02:42:52 pm »

I got my mid-life crisis out of the way when I was 30...I honestly didn't expect to make it this long. My mid-life crisis involved me jumping off a passenger ferry into Puget Sound (brrr) and then swimming about 300 yards back to the pier, trailed closely by two Coast Guard vessels.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 02:54:45 pm »

I'm joining a Star Wars costuming club.  I think that might count.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 04:06:01 pm »

I bought a BMW 428i last year.  I guess that would constitute as a mid life crisis.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 05:27:12 pm »

I bought a Harley a few years ago and now spend much of my down time on it or around it. The biggest thing for me is I'm really, really, wanting to make a career change and I'm almost 50 years old. I'm thinking being middle aged has me evaluating some things.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 06:23:29 pm »

I keep on working out and eating half way decent trying to keep myself in shape. But still can't lose the small lower ab pouch and love handles, so I jumped on the keto bandwagon this week. Felt like dog shit all week. But hey, I've managed to piss off 5lbs and all my electrolytes.

Haven't really bought any mid-life crisis type shit though. Maybe if I win the powerball or someone leaves me a bunch of money in a will or something I'd get some cool shit. But even though I don't have many bills, I don't feel comfortable buying expensive shit for myself. Guess I'd rather have the money in the bank.

Edit - probably doesn't count, but I do have a cologne collection that's getting kind of large, hahaha.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 06:26:29 pm »

After telling myself for years that I would never go Apple, I bought an iPad mini 4 and I'm actually enjoying it.

SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:41:05 am »

Bought a mercedes for my 34th birthday last august. Was used however, and not terribly expensive in the grand scheme. I guess it could be interpreted as a MLC, though.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 03:57:24 pm »

While not really a Mid-life crisis,I got called out for buying my new BBQ grill mostly for machismo reasons the other day when I had people over...

(Long story short)
(Starting last spring) I was looking to possibly buy a propane gas only grill,to replace my off brand propane/charcoal grill that's a couple of years old.Spatial reasoning,and less need for the charcoal side,but never found one that I liked enough to drop the cash on (even clearance models last fall).This spring I decided screw it,I'll keep the one I have,and bought new heat deflectors etc.I walked into my local Walmart,and they had last years Weber Genesis 2 floor model on clearance for $300.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 12:21:03 pm »

Bought a mercedes for my 34th birthday last august. Was used however, and not terribly expensive in the grand scheme. I guess it could be interpreted as a MLC, though.
Yeah, my BMW was used too...same price as a new KIA, would rather drive the BMW.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray