Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:53:56 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  2018 Miami Dolphins Draft,who do you want,not want?Who do think we'll draft?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: 2018 Miami Dolphins Draft,who do you want,not want?Who do think we'll draft?  (Read 8379 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 08:22:14 pm »

Plus, Suh was double teamed much of the time, which IMO really helped Wake.
The problem was that it didn't really help the defense. Suh wasn't double teamed so much because he couldn't be blocked by 1 guy, but because no one around Suh required a double team, they could all be blocked by just 1 guy. That's not gonna change by getting another DT.

My point was we have a first round LB, hopefully, that's going to start this year, that didn't touch the field last year. I don't disagree that the LB play last year was terrible, and that we could probably use another great LB, BUT I'd rather have a stud DT stopping the runners before they reach the LB's.
I don't want the LB corp to just be average this year, I want to see it go from a weakness to a strength. Do that and it won't matter that Suh is gone because teams won't be worried about blocking the DT's they'll be worried about blocking the LB's. They didn't have to worry about that last year which ALLOWED them to double team Suh and reduce him to just another guy.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:03:10 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 09:03:25 am »

Yep, even with McMillan back, they are still short 1 starting LB.  For years, one of this team's biggest weaknesses has been LBs picking up TEs and RBs in coverage.  Last year, teams just killed the Fins (especially Kiko).  I don't know if McMillan can play OLB as well as ILB, but if he can, I hope they move Kiko back to ILB where he has always been MUCH better.  But regardless of who they plug where, they are still going to be short another quality LB.  Stephon Anthony showed some ability as being a capable backup, but as Pappy and others have said, the team can't afford to continue being mediocre at the LB position because everyone in the league knows now that they can exploit that position.  This is not a particularly deep draft for high quality LBs and there is a significant dropoff in talent after Smith and Edmunds.  Vander Esch, Darius Leonard, and one of the guys from Alabama may be decent, but they are still a big dropoff after Smith and Edmunds.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 09:36:52 am »

Yep, even with McMillan back, they are still short 1 starting LB.  For years, one of this team's biggest weaknesses has been LBs picking up TEs and RBs in coverage.  Last year, teams just killed the Fins (especially Kiko).  I don't know if McMillan can play OLB as well as ILB, but if he can, I hope they move Kiko back to ILB where he has always been MUCH better.  But regardless of who they plug where, they are still going to be short another quality LB.  Stephon Anthony showed some ability as being a capable backup, but as Pappy and others have said, the team can't afford to continue being mediocre at the LB position because everyone in the league knows now that they can exploit that position.  This is not a particularly deep draft for high quality LBs and there is a significant dropoff in talent after Smith and Edmunds.  Vander Esch, Darius Leonard, and one of the guys from Alabama may be decent, but they are still a big dropoff after Smith and Edmunds.

I'm not typically a Kiko apologist but Omar Kelly said on the radio that Kiko got blamed for a lot of things that weren't his fault. He was the guy closest to the play so people automatically attack him.  Kiko did well his first season with the Dolphins so hopefully he can get back to that. If they can draft an actual free safety and move TJ McDonald to LB that whole group could get stronger.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 09:57:53 am »

This is not a particularly deep draft for high quality LBs and there is a significant dropoff in talent after Smith and Edmunds.  Vander Esch, Darius Leonard, and one of the guys from Alabama may be decent, but they are still a big dropoff after Smith and Edmunds.

If Miami misses out on Edmunds/Smith early, one ILB I hope they consider (or my 49ers, for that matter) is Malik Jefferson from Texas. I remember watching him as one of the top HS linebackers in the country, and once he got past the concussion issue he had as a sophomore, he absolutely lit it up this past year.

Another good ILB that could probably be taken later is Virginia's Micah Kiser. Not the greatest in coverage, but he's a tackling machine, can be used in pass rush packages, and he has one trait that I really like...he is extremely intelligent. ACC all-academic and honor roll pretty much his entire college career.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 10:01:42 am »

I read those excuses about Kiko Alonzo.He wasn't so bad  Roll Eyes,other guy's were out of position  Roll Eyes,Blah,Blah,Blah...I call Bullshit,they blamed him for the horrid run defense in 2016,Hence the move to the outside,drafting R.McMillian to play MLB in the 2nd round.So much of the blame (as deflect,NAH it wasn't Suh) they refused to move him back to MLB after R.McMillian got hurt.

R.McMillian...I don't know anything about him, he could be Zach Thomas,Another Koa Misi,or an Eddie Moore ...Shrugs shoulders.(YES I know Zach Thomas wasn't a 2nd rounder...)

I don't put much faith in the organization...Believes,Feels,Bullshit excuses...This is the same team that keeps touting the greatness we'll see from Devonte Parker... Roll Eyes

What I really wanted to post in the thread...
On a side note,about draft strategy in general...(I'm not attacking Edgecrusher,because I whole heartily agree that we lack talent on this team...please don't take it this way)....

As a general rule,I don't agree with the "best player available" on the board as a strategy.2 main reasons...

1.) "The Best Available player" is subjective,according to whom?....Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We hear it constantly after the draft,"We had this player rated above those players","We had this player as the number 1 guy on our board"...Most of the time,it's bullshit spin...

2.) Drafting a guy,who might be a HOF guy,but he'll never be anyway near that good on your team.....is just as foolish to me...

I get trying to trade down,and modifying the theory,to the best guy that fits your system,then you're going back to problem number 1.)..I think it's great to say in theory,but the reality of talent translating to performance on the field...it's doesn't always work... Undecided

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:16:31 am by DaLittle B » Logged

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 03:07:53 pm »

If Miami misses out on Edmunds/Smith early, one ILB I hope they consider (or my 49ers, for that matter) is Malik Jefferson from Texas. I remember watching him as one of the top HS linebackers in the country, and once he got past the concussion issue he had as a sophomore, he absolutely lit it up this past year.

Another good ILB that could probably be taken later is Virginia's Micah Kiser. Not the greatest in coverage, but he's a tackling machine, can be used in pass rush packages, and he has one trait that I really like...he is extremely intelligent. ACC all-academic and honor roll pretty much his entire college career.

I don't know much about Jefferson or Kiser, but I definitely respect your input as you are pretty much always spot on (no, I'm not related to Sunstroke) so I will definitely do some homework on them.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 03:44:47 pm »

I don't know much about Jefferson or Kiser, but I definitely respect your input as you are pretty much always spot on (no, I'm not related to Sunstroke) so I will definitely do some homework on them.

I'm a few miles away from being pretty much always spot on, but I appreciate the compliment. 

If you want some links to highlights/scouting reports for either of those two LBs, just let me know. I'm a firm believer in ignoring the pundits, watching the film and letting your gut push the yay or nay button.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 11:05:12 am »

I'm so torn. While I think Tannehill is far from our biggest concern the fact we haven't had an elite QB in so long makes me want to do whatever it takes to get one of the big 3 or 4. It's really hard to watch old film of Marino and not realize just how far we've fallen. We are starved for good QB play.

With that said we could totally help out our team the quickest by selecting the best player available in one of areas of need.

Option 2 is probably the more mature pick but it's been so freaking long I'm willing to go with a sexy QB pick and look to the future ... especially since the Bills and Jets have aligned themselves for one and we will be facing them twice every year.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 11:07:29 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 02:37:14 pm »

I'm so torn. While I think Tannehill is far from our biggest concern the fact we haven't had an elite QB in so long makes me want to do whatever it takes to get one of the big 3 or 4. It's really hard to watch old film of Marino and not realize just how far we've fallen. We are starved for good QB play.

With that said we could totally help out our team the quickest by selecting the best player available in one of areas of need.

Option 2 is probably the more mature pick but it's been so freaking long I'm willing to go with a sexy QB pick and look to the future ... especially since the Bills and Jets have aligned themselves for one and we will be facing them twice every year.
I'd understand that route if the QB the Dolphins thought was the best possible QB for the Dolphins was still available. I can't see just picking one of the 4 top QB's in the draft because you feel you need to take a QB.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 03:20:32 pm »

Just my own opinion, but of the 4 top QB prospects, I don't see a single one developing into anything more than just an average NFL QB.

~ Micah Leggat
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 05:25:48 pm »

I'm at the point what the Bills,Jets,and to an extent the Patriots do in the Draft..IE Draft this guy highly touted guy....We have to be a better team,err a Good team? We have to worry about our front office not,effin up the draft...AGAIN...

I still feel they will end up drafting a bunch of guys,I'll scratch my head at,bitch about a year from now,and probably be disappointed about...I just can't get behind the flyin by the seat of our pants approach of our front office.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 07:51:11 pm »

If what we have been told so far this offseason is accurate and true, the team should be drafting whoever has the best character.

So which family will MIA be drafting this time?

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 09:39:55 am »

If what we have been told so far this offseason is accurate and true, the team should be drafting whoever has the best character.

So which family will MIA be drafting this time?

Ugg, don't bring that horrible memory back up. 
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 10:13:27 am »

Ugg, don't bring that horrible memory back up. 

I like how Ginn still gets crap, while Dion Jordan gets a free pass.

Ginn was a reach, sure, but he's at least a decent player. Jordan, meanwhile, has Yatil Green beat as the Dolphins' biggest draft bust, IMHO.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 10:57:34 am »

Jordan, biggest MIA bust of all time confirmed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray