Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:08:00 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Petrol,Fuel,Gas:Discount for cash at local stations?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Petrol,Fuel,Gas:Discount for cash at local stations?  (Read 1129 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: April 08, 2018, 11:44:34 am »

I remember back in the day different prices on petrol stations growing up for self serve,full service,credit card,and even leaded/unleaded.Mostly bygone eras,as today it's self serve pay at pump (on the super rare occasion the few full service places here and there,they are are getting harder to find locally.)

I found a Mom and Pop place that still offers .03 (might be .04) discount for gas.Since I always pay with cash.and I find they are right there with all the local chain stores....It's a great deal for me.(It also fits in to me wanting to help support local business more,since I do tend to shop SOoo much online,and big box stores.)

Are these common anywhere else?,are there any in your area?

I'm curious if this is pretty much an endangered species petrol station or a unicorn petrol station that I'm lucky enough to live a mile or so away from?

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 04:10:25 pm »

Outside of an emergency, I buy all my gas at Costco (where you don't even have the option to pay cash for gas).  But I do use the GasBuddy Android app to check prices and make sure Costco is still on the lower end.

I do see cash discounts around the Bay Area though.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 06:35:47 pm »

Full service gas stations where I live are practically extinct, I believe there is only one left in about a 20 mile radius.  They usually charge 7 - 10 cents more, so they pump very little gas.  Thirty years ago I new of a handful of places that would give a cash discount off the listed price; but nowadays where I live they post the cash price in big numbers, but if you pay with a credit card the pump price is then 3 or 4 cents higher.  I believe NJ still has a law that it's illegal to pump your own gas, so they always pump it for you; plus every time I'm down there they always have super cheap gas prices.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 07:43:48 pm »

Kroger gives 3¢ off if you have a Kroger card. Alternatively, they give 10¢ off per gallon for every $100 you spend in groceries per month. Filled up yesterday and got 50¢ off per gallon.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 11:00:40 am »

I haven't seen a full service station in 30 years and that covers 3 states. I'm also not aware of anywhere giving a discount for cash payment. I also think it is illegal to post a lower price on the sign than the pump around here but that is a guess. If it isn't. I would sign the petition.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 05:27:34 pm »

Hyvee does have Fuel saver program,but there is only 1 store in town, on the southside...Kroger (Was Dillions here) went out 4-5 years ago here...Mainly a Walmart/Price cutter town.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray