Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:21:42 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Gatekeeping: Where are you guilty?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Gatekeeping: Where are you guilty?  (Read 3711 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: April 17, 2018, 09:46:55 am »

Gatekeeping is generally a negative term that means policing someone else's access to a community or identity.  ...like, "you're not a real gamer unless you played the original Pac Man...not this Candy Crush crap".   ...or if someone likes the Dolphins, if you then feel like you can ask "Oh yeah, who was their first coach?"  "Oh, you like Metallica?  I bet you haven't heard anything before the black album."

It's douchey.

However, we all probably do it in some area of life. 

I think that I am this way when it comes to steak.  For some reason, it burns my ass when people eat a well-done steak.  Even though I am not the grand-wizard of steak, cooking the red out of it just kills the flavor...at that point, just don't eat steak.  I'm wrong about my viewpoint and have no inherent right to be the self-appointed police of steak, but I just can't help myself.

Where are you a gatekeeping douche?

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 09:55:43 am »

Bourbon and Coffee...total snob on both.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 10:35:02 am »

I am guilty of that form of douchery in more topics than I care to admit to.  I should probably join a 12 step program or something.  "Hi, I'm Dolphster and I'm a gatekeeping douche."   
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 10:56:20 am »

One that I argued with many of you about before, no adult should ever eat a plain cheese pizza.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 10:56:34 am »

I am guilty of that form of douchery in more topics than I care to admit to.  I should probably join a 12 step program or something.  "Hi, I'm Dolphster and I'm a gatekeeping douche."  

"HELLO DOLPHSTER!!  ...and please, try some of this fine bourbon I brought to the meeting!"

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 11:03:08 am »

Scotch (if you say "Glenfidi-ch" you don't know anything about scotch, even if you act like it.  It's "Glenfidi-ck"

Agree with the well done steak thing, I got a buddy that I always give shit about it...ask him why he doesn't put ketchup on it if he's eating a shoe

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 12:02:01 pm »

When I used to cook in the restaurant business err 25+ years ago  Embarrassed,we always hated people who ordered a well done steak...

1.) - Among the 4-5 out of the 6 or 8 neighbors around me,I'm the trash bin snob,IMO I follow the directions...The bins/carts say point arrows toward street on the top,(The arrows point toward to open end away from the handle.) My Neighbors insist putting the handle street towards the street.

I assert that their way,the arm picks up the can,and has to flip it nearly 180 degrees,then any slop in the bottom of the can run across the lid.After the arm returns the can to the ground,the lid rarely flips open.My way the can opens the garbage slides out ,when the bin/cart is placed back on the ground,the lid closes...

Sort of a reverse one,where I'm the one being gatekept? that seems to be a really odd one to me...(Very about semantics IMO,and I admit TMI)

2.) - I'm not a local,because I wasn't born here.I'll be 43 in August,Born in Iowa,around my 1st birthday moved to K.C. Missouri,and spent almost the rest of my life in the state Missouri (Minus about 4 years,California,spent summers in Indiana,a few months in Texas,and traveling as a kid).Moved to this town in '77 ,stayed in the area ever since...(a smaller towns a few years here,and couple there.)

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 04:02:17 pm »

I think that I am this way when it comes to steak.  For some reason, it burns my ass when people eat a well-done steak.  Even though I am not the grand-wizard of steak, cooking the red out of it just kills the flavor...at that point, just don't eat steak.  I'm wrong about my viewpoint and have no inherent right to be the self-appointed police of steak, but I just can't help myself.

That's not gatekeeping, that's just being right.

Objectively, "well done" meat is drier, tougher, and less flavorful. This is just physics / chemistry and all those properties can be measured, no buts about it.

Now, some people may prefer drier, tougher, less flavorful meat... In my experience (!), it's mostly ignorance. Combined with a bit of psychological "yuck, it's bloddy / raw / whatever". I've known quite a few people who wouldn't eat even touch a medium steak and converted after trying some really juicy, tender slow-cooked beef.

I've never heard of anyone "going back", suddenly deciding that tough and chewy is better.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 04:49:41 pm »

Objectively, "well done" meat is drier, tougher, and less flavorful. This is just physics / chemistry and all those properties can be measured, no buts about it.

Now, some people may prefer drier, tougher, less flavorful meat... In my experience (!), it's mostly ignorance. Combined with a bit of psychological "yuck, it's bloddy / raw / whatever". I've known quite a few people who wouldn't eat even touch a medium steak and converted after trying some really juicy, tender slow-cooked beef.

I've never heard of anyone "going back", suddenly deciding that tough and chewy is better.

No telling how many times that I've heard people say that they can't eat a bloody steak. It really is ignorance because the red juice coming out of a steak is not blood.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 07:25:23 pm »

" well, defense does win championships"
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 08:58:52 am »

" well, defense does win championships"

Reference noted and appreciated.  I get a kick out of that commercial.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 02:19:53 pm »

One that I argued with many of you about before, no adult should ever eat a plain cheese pizza.

Does double cheese pizza count in your assessment?  Because I occasionally go for the extra cheese gooey pizza.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 02:37:57 pm »

Double cheese is fine, as long as you also have toppings.  Grin
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 03:14:36 pm »

Here we go again about cheese pizza lol.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 04:42:39 pm »

Ugghhh...I had a frozen pizza last night I bought at Aldi's,just saw it had 4 different types of toppings on each quadrant (had really low sodium, not crazy calories. Apparently I didn't read the box too well about what the topping were...1 quadrant had mushrooms,1 spinach,1 had peppers,and 1 diced tomatoes! I scraped the tomato toppings on with the Peppers slice,and the mushrooms with spinach,and tossed to left over to topping-less pieces.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray