Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:44:21 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Poll: How would you rank the Dolphins 2018 draft?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: How would you rank this draft?
A   -5 (27.8%)
B   -6 (33.3%)
C   -3 (16.7%)
D   -0 (0%)
F   -0 (0%)
To Be Determined   -4 (22.2%)
Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Poll: How would you rank the Dolphins 2018 draft?  (Read 3092 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: April 28, 2018, 11:16:38 pm »

I was pretty happy going into the last day and then we never found a way to get a QB. All of that smoke screening and then nothing. As of now it doesn't even look like we have one for the practice team. I was hoping we'd at least sign Chase Litton from Marshall who went undrafted. Even if they had no chance against Tannehill at least someone to challenge Brock and Fales maybe?   

I really like our first pick and am pretty happy with the first 5 picks. This is the first draft in recent history where I think all will be big contributors and not just developmental players. With that said the lack of QB affects my overall feeling so that is why I'm giving them a B for the draft.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 07:58:50 am »

Pretty solid draft. Got a lot of talent and it seems like we have a plan as all the defensive players are speedy guys, by design.

We are still not passing 7 wins this season because of how badly we have whiffed on free agency and drafts the past few years, but maybe next year with a solid free agency and draft we can compete for a Wild Card spot.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 08:00:17 am »

I would have liked to have seen an OL and DL thrown in and I'm kinda perplexed at the recent trend of doubling down on picks all the time (2 TE's 2 LB's and 2 DB's) but I'm happy with the top 3 picks.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 11:43:27 am »

TBD.  Grading the draft before you know if the player will be pro bowlers or out of the league without playing a snap is like grading based on the seating chart in class. 

The only team worthy of even a partial grade is Seahawks they get an H for heartwarming.

We can grade the 2015 draft.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 01:43:20 pm »

Not enough information....Incomplete data set IMO..... Undecided
Ask me again,closer to training camp.Everything right now is blowing smoke up our ass,about how great these guy's are great,athletic,can play here,fill this need,be able to start right now...Positive,Positive,Positve. How great the team feels about these players,and our draft...Blah,Blah,Blah ...Meaningless bullshit when it comes time to actually put on pads,in training camp...

About a month,or 6 weeks after the draft (when 99% of the fan base isn't paying attention),the negative stories start leaking out...Teams didn't like this guy,or that guy...The most specific case I'm thinking about (pertaining to the Dolphins) Laremy Tunsil "falling to us". The pot video was why he slipped,but teams had already dropped him down in the 1st round because they were concerned about his ankle surgery he had earlier in college...

Not sour grapes,but it just hard for me to believe how "great" all these guys are right now....As Jason Leiserof the Palmbeach post facebook live segment eluded to...(paraphrasing) All these guy's develop differently...Look at Godchaux,and Asiata..Both 5th round draft picks...1 made an impact,and one did nothing.Guy's like Chase Allen undrafted,making an impact...

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 01:58:41 pm »

Not enough information....Incomplete data set IMO..... Undecided
Ask me again,closer to training camp.Everything right now is blowing smoke up our ass,about how great these guy's are great,athletic,can play here,fill this need,be able to start right now...Positive,Positive,Positve. How great the team feels about these players,and our draft...Blah,Blah,Blah ...Meaningless bullshit when it comes time to actually put on pads,in training camp...

About a month,or 6 weeks after the draft (when 99% of the fan base isn't paying attention),the negative stories start leaking out...Teams didn't like this guy,or that guy...The most specific case I'm thinking about (pertaining to the Dolphins) Laremy Tunsil "falling to us". The pot video was why he slipped,but teams had already dropped him down in the 1st round because they were concerned about his ankle surgery he had earlier in college...

Not sour grapes,but it just hard for me to believe how "great" all these guys are right now....As Jason Leiserof the Palmbeach post facebook live segment eluded to...(paraphrasing) All these guy's develop differently...Look at Godchaux,and Asiata..Both 5th round draft picks...1 made an impact,and one did nothing.Guy's like Chase Allen undrafted,making an impact...
But that's been our biggest issue IMO. We tend to draft guys that need to develop and most times they don't or do so sparingly. Many of these guys should come in and produce ... even though they are still developing. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 05:26:14 pm »

I give it a B.  I would have liked to have seen a QB drafted in the 4th round, there were still some quality QB's left at that point.  As usually Miami had more holes needing filling than they had draft picks available, so they filled a couple.  Just have to hope the FA's they picked up (or hope they pick up a castoff from a team that drafted an upgrade) get the job done for a year.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 08:15:59 pm »

But that's been our biggest issue IMO. We tend to draft guys that need to develop and most times they don't or do so sparingly. Many of these guys should come in and produce ... even though they are still developing. 

Exactly. We haven't even drafted serviceable players in recent years. If we just drafted guys who were mediocre we'd be in better shape rather than the oft injured and project picks we take. Every player we drafted could be complete trash, but at the moment they were good picks that showed an actual game plan and for that I am happy.

Now, get some cap space in the next offseason and draft well again and we can make a run at 10 wins.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 07:42:29 am »

I do agree with both CF,and Edgecrusher,but I'd add ...We draft too many special teams guy's thinking they're depth,and will develop into starters.When an injury occurs they aren't able to fill in,lousy,and we bring someone off the street.Those drafted guy's get shed,and not resigned for whatever B.S. reason....2014 draft is a perfect example...Only Juwan James is left...and he is on shaky ground...(1 year 5th year option at the moment)

hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 09:30:35 am »

These first 3 guys will contribute significant time.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 09:34:05 am »

I still can't believe the Dolphins drafted this group of guys, especially the first 5 guys.  Guys that I have seen play and at least have an idea of that they can do.

Years past, you're were left scratching your head after the weekend and asking yourself if this front office knew what they were doing.

I think they might have sent Tanenbaum for coffee & donuts when they were making these picks, as for him not to fock them up.

Seriously, a solid playmaker Safety in Minkah, as hybrid TE in Geisecky (I know he doesn't block well), who is athletic and great hands.  Baker at LB that should constribute

Any draft "expert" that grades this class (initially, mind you) below a B+/B is a fockin moron

I'd rather be lucky than good.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 12:21:30 pm »

TBD.  Grading the draft before you know if the player will be pro bowlers or out of the league without playing a snap is like grading based on the seating chart in class. 

The only team worthy of even a partial grade is Seahawks they get an H for heartwarming.

We can grade the 2015 draft.

Which is why you grade current drafts based on players ability to fill needs

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 11:08:13 am »

Like CF Dolfan said, I would have liked to see Litton from Marshall brought in as an undrafted FA. He showed enough in college to at least take a look at him. 

Fitzpatrick:  Should be an excellent addition, I just don't see that the need at Safety was worth their #11 overall pick when there are so many other glaring holes.
Gesicki:  Meh, I like his height and his pass catching skills, but he is like Colby Fleener.  Zero blocking skills.  Once Hurst was taken, there were no other "complete package" TEs out there.
Baker:  As I have already whined about, they really screwed the pooch by letting Edmunds pass them by. Baker has decent speed, decent coverage skills, and questionable run stopping skills.  He also underperformed some in college last year after looking great the year before.  That always makes me wonder if a guy has already reached his ceiling. We shall see.
Smythe: Don't really know much about him, but considering the amazing running success that Notre Dame had last year, he must be a good blocker. And Notre Dame's QB was awful so who knows about his receiving ability.
Ballage:  I like him a lot, especially as a receiving RB.  May become an effective runner with time as well.

I don't know a damn thing about the last 3 guys they picked. 

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 11:56:38 am »

The big question is who will become Miami's kicker for the 2018 season; as Miami is sure to be kicking a lot of FG's this year.  Will it be Jason Sanders who was drafted from New Mexico, or will it be UDFA Greg Joseph from FAU, who was quickly signed to a contract after the conclusion of the draft.  Both have identical records on FG's made/attempted.  Sanders has the edge on kickoffs, with a low return percentage.  Joseph has the hometown advantage being from So. FLA.  This may be the biggest battle of pre-season.  Too bad kicking guru D4L is not commenting this year.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 12:00:50 pm »

The big question is who will become Miami's kicker for the 2018 season; as Miami is sure to be kicking a lot of FG's this year.  Will it be Jason Sanders who was drafted from New Mexico, or will it be UDFA Greg Joseph from FAU, who was quickly signed to a contract after the conclusion of the draft.  Both have identical records on FG's made/attempted.  Sanders has the edge on kickoffs, with a low return percentage.  Joseph has the hometown advantage being from So. FLA.  This may be the biggest battle of pre-season.  Too bad kicking guru D4L is not commenting this year.

If the most exciting part of preseason is the kicker battle, you have a boring preseason.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray