Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:30:42 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Why you should be excited about new TE Mike Gesicki
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Why you should be excited about new TE Mike Gesicki  (Read 2243 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« on: April 30, 2018, 10:13:04 am »

I would recommend watching youtube highlight footage of this guy, he's a playmaker.  You're going to hear his name a lot in years to come.

In the second round, Miami selected Penn State tight end Mike Gesicki, one of the best-testing tight ends in NFL combine history.

Consider that Gesicki, at 6-foot-6, 247 pounds, was:

• First among tight ends in the 40-yard dash at 4.54 seconds

• Second among tight ends in the bench press with 22 reps

• First among tight ends in the broad jump at 10 feet, 9 inches

• First among tight ends in the three-cone drill at 6.76 seconds

• First among tight ends in the 20-yard shuttle at 4.10 seconds

• First among tight ends in the 60-yard shuttle at 11.33 seconds

According to NFL Research, Gesicki is taller than receiver Calvin Johnson, stronger than offensive lineman Donald Penn, faster than wide receiver Antonio Brown and a better vertical jumper than receiver Odell Beckham, Jr.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2018/04/28/miami-dolphins-drafting-physical-freaks-and-workout-warriors/
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 10:19:00 am »

I live in State College and have seen this guy play up close.  Guy is athletic. People railing the pick cause he doesn't block that well (this is known, it's not like it just came up) are clueless on what he was drafted for.....and that's to make plays!!!!

I saw a stat on Twitter this weekend from PFF, where over the last 2 seasons, he dropped 5 out of 110 passes that were deemed catchable.

Can't be any worse than the slow, lumbering shit we've seen on this offense the last couple of seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKFZVezYedI

I'd rather be lucky than good.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 12:14:38 pm »

Yep, Like him and Smyth both to line up on the field...Love the size speed,ability of him...

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 03:05:21 pm »

A TE that can't block is just a slot receiver.   Likewise a TE that can't catch is just a 6th OL.  The power of the position is in the defense needing to have to account for the TE in both passing and run plays.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 04:03:42 pm »

A TE that can't block is just a slot receiver.
Well he's just a receiver, I wouldn't say he's a slot receiver. I got a feeling you will see him line up all over.

Likewise a TE that can't catch is just a 6th OL.
Agreed.

The power of the position is in the defense needing to have to account for the TE in both passing and run plays.
So because you put a 6th OL you are ALWAYS going to run? Nope. Because you put a TE out wide you are ALWAYS going to pass? Nope. You still have to account for them either way and you still have to be able to match up with them. If you have a LB on that TE that lines up in the slot and then he goes outside is the LB gonna be able to stay with him? What if you put a DB on him and you throw a fade? Is the DB gonna be able to make the play? I understand what your saying, but it's not nearly as simple as you make it out. There's a reason that Jimmy Graham was a huge weapon for years and it wasn't because he could block. No one is saying that Gesicki is the next Gronk.

Just as an aside, there is one type of block that Gesicki seems to be able to execute to some degree and that's a cut block. Not sure it will work in the NFL, but you never know.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:13:05 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 10:56:47 am »

I'm cautiously optimistic, but have the same fears of his lack of blocking as a lot of people.  I just hope he isn't so bad at it that when they are in a single TE formation with him as the single TE, is it going to be a flashing neon sign telling the defense, "Pass play coming!"
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 12:20:35 pm »

I'm cautiously optimistic about him.  Watching the draft coverage they had videos of him playing volleyball, and dunking a basketball - the guy can JUMP.  He's a great potential replacement for Landry, and more if he can play at the NFL level.  I'm looking forward to being in the red zone and just tossing the ball up high and watching him pull it down for a TD.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 01:56:14 pm »

Joe Rose said it best. No one knows if Gronk or Jimmy Graham can block because that isn't what they are used for. Although Gronk is actually a pretty good blocker but not many people know that. hahahaha

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 07:19:49 pm »

Worst case scenario, I think we got us a very good tight end who will help in the red zone but can't block for shit. I'm okay with that because the past few years we haven't had a tight end who could do either. Softens the blow of the Landry departure too.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 08:50:22 pm »

Did this guy emerge from a pod right before the combine?  I mean, I presume that he didn't add several inches to his height and vertical in the last few months, and I also presume he played college football against guys who are much smaller and slower than the guys he will be facing in the NFL.

So while it's nice to hear that he's fast and strong, I'd like to hear more about how he was dominating the competition in the B1G.  I'm not incredibly impressed to find out that a guy who is 6'6" can dunk.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:54:26 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 10:00:41 pm »

So while it's nice to hear that he's fast and strong, I'd like to hear more about how he was dominating the competition in the B1G.  I'm not incredibly impressed to find out that a guy who is 6'6" can dunk.

The knock on him is that he doesn't grade well blocking, which is true.  IIRC rated 50.5 on the run-block scale.  I did see a tweet by Pro Football Focus that in the last 2 seasons, he missed 5 out of 110 "catchable" balls.  Yes, he creates a mismatch against a smaller defender and get vertical

Not a Nittany Lions fan in the least, but he is athletic and I'm sure coaches will work with him on blocking and improving that area.  I would be shocked if he's a complete bust.  Not saying he's Pro Bowl bound in 2-3 years, but I think something of a poor man's Jimmy Graham is possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nneCOB3AQVs

I'd rather be lucky than good.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 09:09:42 am »

After getting rid of Thomas and Fasano, the Dolphins needed a good pass catching TE in the worst way.

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 10:56:28 am »

I like hearing he's a willing blocker,and wants to be better..We'll see if that's true in training camp,and preseason...

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 11:06:39 am »

Did this guy emerge from a pod right before the combine?  I mean, I presume that he didn't add several inches to his height and vertical in the last few months, and I also presume he played college football against guys who are much smaller and slower than the guys he will be facing in the NFL.

Am I missing something? I can't think of a linebacker or defensive back who is 6'6" so he's still going to be playing against smaller guys. Typically the tight end is usually faster than the linebackers who cover him and often stronger than the cornerbacks and safeties who try to tackle him. He definitely fits that bill.

Taller than Calvin Johnson – Stronger than Donald Penn – Faster than Antonio Brown – Jumps higher than Odell Beckham Jr. Seems to me he is starting out with some pretty strong skills. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 11:59:40 am »

The consensus seems to be that Penn St. didn't use him like the Dolphins will. Sometimes it's the scheme that turns potential into production.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/4/5/17171768/mike-gesicki-penn-state-tight-end-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report-miami-dolphins

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray