Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:07:05 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Should the Dolphins be worried?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Should the Dolphins be worried?  (Read 1211 times)
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« on: April 30, 2018, 05:38:17 pm »

The draft is over and the AFC East now features two new quarterbacks picked in top 10. The Jets got Sam Darnold at #3, while the Bills moved up to #7 to select Josh Allen.

Statistically, just over 40% of quarterbacks taken in the first half of round 1 have been selected to at least one Pro Bowl since 1990. Restricting it to multi-year PB quarterbacks lowers that number to about 33% (of course, not all draft picks since '90 have had much, if any, chance to rack up *multiple* Pro Bowls), but still means that two of them results in a greater than 50% chance of at least 1 elite quarterback.

And, frankly, I'm a bit worried that the Dolphins might be looking at a decade of at least one elite quarterback in the division, even after Brady retires.

(My money's on Darnold. I have zero confidence in Allen, despite his monster arm.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 05:55:47 pm by fyo » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 07:30:53 pm »

Three teams want to replace NE a top the AFCE.  One has a QB that has proven that he is very good, but is very unlikely to ever be elite.  The other two might have the next elite QB or busts, only time will tell. But if either QB lives up to his hype, the Dolphins won't be replacing NE.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 11:01:23 pm »

What does a pro bowl prove? I'd rather know how many have won a playoff game? Been to a championship game? Been to a Superbowl? Won a Superbowl? Don't forget that Tannehill was taken in the 1st half of round one. There's always a chance, but it is the Jets and the Bills, they got a lot to prove yet.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:04:03 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 10:09:52 am »

I don't really "follow" the other teams in our division,(yeah I do follow the draft,and understand who they took,etc),so I'm not super sure,what they've done free agent wise,and who's contracts are up,etc,etc.

I try my best to stick to the mindset  of....Worry about the Dolphins becoming a good team,and our division rivals become worried about us.

It's being able to take on all the other teams in the league,the good ones and the bad ones...

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 12:08:07 pm »

Of the top 4 or 5 QB's drafted I think both the Jets and Bills got the best QB's that could potentially fit into their system.  The problem for the Bills is their O-line is decimated.  The best thing for both teams would be to not play either until late in the season, but that's going to be hard to do when they start losing and the fans are screaming for you to put in your #1 draft picks.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 02:15:42 pm »

Until a QB proves them self ... I'm not really going to freak out. Goff looked horrible in his first year and then looked good. Drew Brees looked bad so San Diego drafted Philip Rivers. More times than not even if they are a decent QB they struggle for a while and even then ... it's a small minority of the "good" ones drafted who actually succeed.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 03:35:38 pm »

It's just as much about the team structure, as it is the quality of the player.  Look at Dak in Dallas, put him behind a crappy O-line with an average running back and he's a journeyman QB at best.  If you looked at Andrew Luck's stats without knowing who he was you would trade him for a 6th round pick.  So both the new AFCE QB's have a bit of an uphill battle.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 07:17:42 pm »

e don't have the luxury of being worried about what other teams are doing, we're not some 10-6 team concerned that a division rival had a good free agency and will take our spot. We suck and could maybe even finish last this year. Just focus on us and improving and not signing players we don't need to big money deals.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray