Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:33:02 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins address big need - Lions trade Akeem Spence to Miami
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dolphins address big need - Lions trade Akeem Spence to Miami  (Read 2616 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: May 03, 2018, 04:21:24 pm »

Personally I think this is a good deal although we still need to see the pick we gave up. We don't have great history there.

Posted by Charean Williams on May 3, 2018, 4:08 PM EDT
The Lions have agreed to trade defensive tackle Akeem Spence to the Dolphins, Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports.

Earlier Thursday, the Lions agreed to restructure Spence’s contract. It dropped his base salary from $3.15 million to $2.575 million, with some incentives added back in to allow him to recoup some of the money. It cleared $500,000 in cap space.

The Lions signed Spence to a three-year, $10.5 million deal last offseason to add some heft to the middle of their line.

In his only season in Detroit, Spence played 16 games, starting 11. He made 39 tackles and three sacks.

The Dolphins released defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh in the offseason, so Spence will add depth at the position.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/03/report-lions-trade-akeem-spence-to-miami/

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 04:21:36 pm »

Rumored we gave up a 7th round draft pick for him in 2019...
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article210285869.html

I deleted my other post...Thanks Cf!  Cheesy

We needed for depth,I'm not sure how good he is... Cheesy  Undecided
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:25:13 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 04:49:07 pm »

A 7th round pick is nothing. Only a matter of compensation. 2.6 million for a potential starter is cheap.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 12:25:07 am »

Omar Kelly tweeted out how the Jarvis Landry trade has panned out so far and it looks pretty good.

“So basically the #Dolphins got TE Durham Smythe (4th rd pick in 2018), DT Akeem Spence (7th rder in 2019) and the salary spot needed to sign Albert Wilson ($7M) and Danny Amendola ($6M) for moving Jarvis Landry to Cleveland this spring. Four for one.”

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 07:58:37 am »

Spence isn't going to set the world on fire, but they needed one more body at DT.  He may be mediocre to average, but at least they know what they are getting with him and he can eat up some snaps. 
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 12:25:31 pm »

I'm praying*** our Shortsided front office doesn't pull a T.J. McDonald with these type of moves....

I winced/and cringed horribly when I saw that tweet lastnight (I didn't know it was Omar that tweeted it).I really hate looking at a trade that way,the picks fine,but adding the Free agents...definitely not...I admit, I don't like the Free agents at all....

For me, I see that tweet this way....It's all rosey now when it's all conjecture...
We traded a producing WR in the prime of his career,and He $$$$ banked big time with his new contract.(I Know he wouldn't have have gotten that from us,blah,blah,Blah.)

~ 4th Rd -TE - Durham Smythe- I'm most hopeful,will turn out like our last 4th rd TE Dion Sims 4th rd '13,who seems to be a kinda thought of.I worry he's more like all the rest of the later round Te's we've drafted in the last 10 yrs...Duarte '16,A.Lynch'14,(Sims),M.Egnew '12 (3rd rd),J.Nalbone '09...

Most of these guy's never put up a single stat,or really bad stats in the league before being gone...

(Charles Clay was a 6th rd,RB/Fb turned into Te,IMo it would be an amazing shocker for Smythe to turn in to his productions)

~ DT Akeem Spence  traded for the conditional 7th in '19 - Might not make the team out of camp,with No Guaranteed money,and other guys cast off we might bring in...

The free agents...
WR- D.Amendola - We're praying he can stay healthy enough to put up Avg numbers...No upside,all downside
WR- Albert Wilson - Spotty production,Paying him a fee agent money coming off a career year...That isn't exactly spectacular to begin with....Smh,these don't tend to work out for the most part...

I think this trade might look quite different at the beginning of the season to halfway through the season.Sorry rough couple of days,and I'm Really down on this team right now...

*** Mom,and Wife keep bringing up to me..."You sure do a whole lotta prayin for an atheist..." Cheesy True,I'm busted... Grin Embarrassed

Modified on Saturday,(more positive because I'm off for 3 days,mood) ...At least we turned the 7th rd draft pick that we know can play in the league... Grin
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:18:37 am by DaLittle B » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 03:50:36 pm »

Omar Kelly tweeted out how the Jarvis Landry trade has panned out so far and it looks pretty good.

“So basically the #Dolphins got TE Durham Smythe (4th rd pick in 2018), DT Akeem Spence (7th rder in 2019) and the salary spot needed to sign Albert Wilson ($7M) and Danny Amendola ($6M) for moving Jarvis Landry to Cleveland this spring. Four for one.”
I imagine the Steelers could also get plenty of warm bodies if they traded away Antonio Brown.

You need good players to win.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 03:53:02 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 11:06:25 am »

Did you seriously compare Landry to Brown? I guess I've heard dumber things but it has been a while.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 03:34:29 pm »

Oh, Brown is definitely a much better (and more expensive) player than Landry.  So instead of the four mediocre players MIA could get/afford for Landry, PIT could have 6? 10? mediocre players for Brown... if that's your philosophy on how to build a team.

I was going to say that MIA could trade away an even better player for a pile of nickels, but they already got rid of every player with real value.  Maybe Reshad?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:37:21 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 06:39:51 pm »

I see Landry like a punter who has to punt a lot but has average numbers for distance. It's great that he has a huge total of yards punted but the fact remains punting a lot isn't winning us very many games. If we can fill some voids by getting a punter who averages similar per punt but hasn't had to punt as much then we have made our "team" better overall.

I've coached a lot in my time here on earth and I can tell you one thing. I'd much rather have a full team of average and just above average players than one where I have a couple of superstars, a few average, and then some less than average players.  The weakest links are what kills you.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 08:11:47 pm »

I see Landry like a punter who has to punt a lot but has average numbers for distance. It's great that he has a huge total of yards punted but the fact remains punting a lot isn't winning us very many games. If we can fill some voids by getting a punter who averages similar per punt but hasn't had to punt as much then we have made our "team" better overall.
That's a tough analogy to draw, since (by definition) every punt is a failed possession.  It is impossible to lead the league in number of punts unless you have a terrible offense, but it's rather common to lead the league in number of catches on a good offense.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 08:22:10 am »

That's a tough analogy to draw, since (by definition) every punt is a failed possession.  It is impossible to lead the league in number of punts unless you have a terrible offense, but it's rather common to lead the league in number of catches on a good offense.
Thank you for seeing that as that is exactly where I was going. We had a terrible offense and as such ... Landry got more catches than he ever should have or would in a decent offense. Take away the number of catches he gets and he is a decent receiver ... but definitely not a game changer. In fairness if we paid him and then the rest of the offense stepped up as we all want them to do he would be used much, much less.

I liked Landry a lot. I loved his enthusiasm although I understand the criticism. He was my wife's favorite player. Unfortunately I just think he was asking for way too much money and it would have only hurt the "team" more than helped it if paid him. As it stands we are able to fill some voids where we wouldn't have been able to had we signed him.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 03:26:33 pm »

Welker had the same number of catches in what was then the greatest offense ever.  And Landry had a similar number of catches on a playoff team the year before.  So I don't agree with the idea that Landry only had a lot of catches because the offense was bad.

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 04:14:44 pm »

I agree, about Landry it didn't matter who was starting Tannehill,Moore,Cutler,Or Fales...Landry got the ball..Not because every play was designed for him...The QB's knew who would make the play,and most likely be open.Too many fans,seem to marginalize Landry and his stats,because he put up numbers despite the rest of the team.

I find it strange everyone on this Effin teams (that is still here) seems to get pass for a bad year...You know because Tannehill went down,except the people Jettison this off season despite their numbers...Saying it's their attitudes...It's all their fault!  Roll Eyes  I'm tired of trying to argue about Landry...You'll believe what ever you want to believe anyways...Justify it how you want...It's not my job to explain it to anyone...

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 04:21:10 pm »

I can get open too if my route is one step off the line.  Evil
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray