Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:51:06 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins owner Stephen Ross wasn't exactly blown away by team's early-round pick
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dolphins owner Stephen Ross wasn't exactly blown away by team's early-round pick  (Read 1495 times)
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:42:34 am »

from an Armando article:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article210681804.html

This gained traction the other day from a Boston Globe reporter Ben Violin who said that Ross wanted to trade back and gather more picks and also to avoid the rookie pricetag that would come with the 11th pick.

I didn't think it was true, just for the simple fact that Ross has spent his own money on the stadium and we've paid out the nose for FA picks over the last several years.

I guess Armando felt that he needed to address it.  I personally think they are making more out of this then they need to and that they're reading too much between the lines about Ross's comment of "We'll see," he said. "Nobody knows for sure with this stuff."

I'd rather be lucky than good.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 11:02:25 am »

I think it's pretty clear Ross isn't worried about spending and I'm willing to bet he isn't the only owner who questions his staff before they make big decisions. I've had plenty of bosses question me about how I was handling something but backed me when I showed them how I felt it would work out and I've also done the same. I think that's pretty typical.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 11:59:29 am »

I don't see this as being much of a big deal either.  The staff/coaches are essentially obligated to speak in over the moon terms about their draft picks because they are the ones responsible for them.  Ross has the freedom to speak a little more candidly and all he was really saying was that we all have to wait and see how the picks pan out. That isn't disparaging the picks, it is just correctly stating that the proof is in the pudding. 
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 01:23:42 pm »

I saw this this morning,I saw the initial story Ben Volin,but didn't feel like stirring up shit....

While I'm still miffed about the Safety,over the LB,I'm not exactly liking the draft class as a whole.I like the Te's,but that's not saying a ton.

(yeah, yeah, everyone keeps trying to sell me on how great Fitzpatrick is,it's not the point...)

He clarify s money wasn't an issue,but clarified he did want to trade back for more picks....

An Adam Beasley tweet from the Miami Herald made good point about the money issue...
One quick thought on @BenVolin’s item, which was a great scoop: Steve Ross spent $60M on three years of Ndamukong Suh. He doesn’t make football decisions based on profit. And moving back might have cost more, factoring in the position & fifth year option.
https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/993828572304420865

I can't find the 1 tweet one of the writers made the point,It does say something, when the Ross has all the info in front of him,and he's imploring them to trade back.Ross sees a tons more info on who the team likes,or dislikes right there in front of him than any fan or writer will ever know...

For me it's one of those things I tend to think about when I'm being critical of the team...

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 01:46:50 pm »

With a lack of any real news, the media will take anything they can and run with it. And we'll read it, desperate for just a bit of football-like news.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 02:50:27 pm »

from an Armando article:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article210681804.html

This gained traction the other day from a Boston Globe reporter Ben Violin who said that Ross wanted to trade back and gather more picks and also to avoid the rookie pricetag that would come with the 11th pick.

I didn't think it was true, just for the simple fact that Ross has spent his own money on the stadium and we've paid out the nose for FA picks over the last several years.

I guess Armando felt that he needed to address it.  I personally think they are making more out of this then they need to and that they're reading too much between the lines about Ross's comment of "We'll see," he said. "Nobody knows for sure with this stuff."

There is a big difference between paying big money for a proven FA and paying big money for an unproven rookie, plus I doubt he was as concerned about the actual cash as he was the salary cap. Ross is not alone in preferring to trade back and avoid paying big money for an unproven rookie, the coach of your AFCE rival in Foxboro feels that way too.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 02:57:38 pm »

There is a big difference between paying big money for a proven FA and paying big money for an unproven rookie, plus I doubt he was as concerned about the actual cash as he was the salary cap. Ross is not alone in preferring to trade back and avoid paying big money for an unproven rookie, the coach of your AFCE rival in Foxboro feels that way too.

Last I checked there was a rookie wage scale.  So the salary cap concerns for rookies shouldn't matter anymore.  IMO, Ross is starting to meddle in his front office personnel's decisions.  Jerry Jones light?

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 05:43:38 pm »

Last I checked there was a rookie wage scale.  So the salary cap concerns for rookies shouldn't matter anymore.  IMO, Ross is starting to meddle in his front office personnel's decisions.  Jerry Jones light?

i think it's just the opposite, if he was meddling they wouldn't have taken Fitzpatrick, yet there's a report he wanted them to trade back and yet they took Fitzpatrick .. seems like that's not meddling so much
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 05:16:57 pm »

I just read an interesting article that perhaps the reason that Stephen Ross wanted the Dolphins to trade back wasn't because of money or picks but rather so they could get Lamar Jackson later in the round where he was more likely to be drafted. It's an interesting theory and in many people's minds maybe even would have made sense. I wouldn't have liked it if they did that, but I can see where someone may have thought that. Perhaps Ross isn't too sure that Tannehill is the answer either.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:21:41 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 11:01:03 am »

I'm concerned about the QB position but the idea of drafting Jackson makes my stomach turn.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 12:15:21 pm »

Slight hijack - I can see the NFL moving away from the prototypical QB's like Rodgers, Brees, & Brady; and moving towards a more disposal QB running option plays.  It's like winning the lottery to get one of the elite QB's, the odds are high.  With QB salaries skyrocketing, even for average QB's it makes more sense to spend the money on defense and O-lineman, then just use up your QB on his rookie contract and start over every five years.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 01:20:58 pm »

With LB T. Edmunds still sitting there,I would have been Effin Livid with a trade back (even more than I am with Fitzpatrick),and really not happy if it were for Jackson.I just saw far too much of a project player,to spend 1st round pick on,with our current team,IMO.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 01:44:42 pm »

There is a scale, but early picks are still expensive if the work out.

Also if he was meddling he had the power to change things.  Opining that the draft didn't go the way he would have like but leaving the actual decisions to the GM is not meddling, it is a fan offering an opinion.  That might not be the best move it is far different than JJ.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray