Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:14:07 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Mike Gesicki to wear 88 and other numbers of mention
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mike Gesicki to wear 88 and other numbers of mention  (Read 1736 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: May 11, 2018, 10:54:35 am »

That was Mad Dog Jim Mandich's number as well as Keith Jackson.  Most recently it was worn by Caroo. Personally I hope he does the number well for both those who came before and all of those of us who are still here!

The full list below

2018 Draft Class
Minkah Fitzpatrick, safety - 29
Mike Gesicki, tight end - 88
Jerome Baker, linebacker - 55
Durham Smythe, tight end - 46
Kalen Ballage, running back - 33
Cornell Armstrong, cornerback - 31
Quentin Poling, linebacker - 51
Jason Sanders, kicker - 7

2018 Undrafted Free Agents
Johnathan Alston, cornerback - 41
Cayson Collins, linebacker - 53
Jalen Davis, cornerback - 1
Lucas Gravelle, long snapper - 49
Connor Hilland, center - 61
Buddy Howell, running back - 38
Greg Joseph, kicker - 5
Claudy Mathieu, defensive end - 60
Mike McCray, linebacker - 58
Anthony Moten, defensive tackle - 43
Jamiyus Pittman, defensive tackle - 65
Quincy Redmon, defensive end - 66
David Steinmetz, tackle - 69

Veteran Additions
Danny Amendola, wide receiver - 80
Gavin Escobar, tight end - 89
Frank Gore, running back - 21
Daniel Kilgore, center - 67
Brock Osweiler, quarterback - 8
Bryce Petty, quarterback - 14
Robert Quinn, defensive end - 94
Josh Sitton, guard - 71
Akeem Spence, defensive tackle - 93
Albert Wilson, wide receiver - 15

Number Changes
Isaiah Ford, wide receiver - 84 (from 15)
Matt Haack, punter - 2 (from 16)
Laremy Tunsil, tackle - 78 (from 67)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:09:28 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 02:20:36 pm »

Caroo isn't going to need a number when he begins his new career at Home Depot this season.  I wish the Dolphins would retire #88, but I'm admittedly biased because I was fortunate enough to know Mandich personally.  There never was and there never will be anyone more loyal to the Dolphins than The Mad Dog. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 03:54:46 pm »

I wish the Dolphins would retire #88,

I generally consider retiring a number to be something that should be done only the most extreme cases and only for players whose contribution was truely legendary.  As in something that would happen to a small number of players that were unanimously voted into the Hall of Fame their first year of eligibility. To do so for someone not in the HoF, never selected as all Pro or Probowl is laughable.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 04:30:40 pm »

I generally consider retiring a number to be something that should be done only the most extreme cases and only for players whose contribution was truely legendary.  As in something that would happen to a small number of players that were unanimously voted into the Hall of Fame their first year of eligibility. To do so for someone not in the HoF, never selected as all Pro or Probowl is laughable.
I actually don't disagree.  He was never a top TE. He made his biggest mark on the organization as a radio guy and commentator. "All right, Miami!"

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 01:05:46 am »

I wish the Dolphins would retire #88 

I really dislike when organizations retire any number.  It saddens me that there will never be a #13 worn again by a Dolphin.  Between Marino and Jake Scott, I think the number was well represented, and I'd like to see it again.  Besides, I love when a player has the chutzpah to take on the mantle of wearing a revered number.  Sure, it doesn't always work out, but I like seeing players undertaking the challenge.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 09:20:24 am »

I get it it,when teams like the Yankees have a bunch of great players throughout history,retiring numbers.I'm not wild on it myself...

IMO I think you could sort of do both,in away.(I'm going to use Marino's 13 as an example) Marino's 13 is retired for 5-10 years after the Hall of fame enshrinement,ring of honor.After that 5-10 year retirement,the Dolphins could award that number to another QB (who is been with the team,and down some great achievement league MVP,won like a Walter Payton man of the year) for the following year...I wouldn't want Marino's 13 given out just some WR because he was our 1st rd pick...

Modified to comment...I think the trouble is as times change,records fall,and the organization goes on players achievements get lessened in terms of the modern game.We need to remember those players as the great players they were in the time they were in the game,but long after those players are gone (and most of the people that watched them,loved them),I think we need let the future players use the numbers...I'm not sure how to say that...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:33:03 am by DaLittle B » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 10:39:26 am »

.(I'm going to use Marino's 13 as an example)

Assigning 13 to a rookie qb would put to much pressure on him.  And create needless comparisons and complications.  However giving 13 to a kicker wouldn't.  I notice NE does that a lot.  I doubt 87 (Gronk) will be retired, but odds are the next player will be WR no a TE.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 10:40:20 am »

I agree.  And that is why I said that I am biased.  My wish of them retiring his number is pretty much solely based on my personal relationship with him.  
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 11:10:43 am »

IMO I think you could sort of do both,in away.(I'm going to use Marino's 13 as an example) Marino's 13 is retired for 5-10 years after the Hall of fame enshrinement,ring of honor.After that 5-10 year retirement,the Dolphins could award that number to another QB (who is been with the team,and down some great achievement league MVP,won like a Walter Payton man of the year) for the following year...I wouldn't want Marino's 13 given out just some WR because he was our 1st rd pick...

Err who said anything about giving it to a rookie QB,it's exactly what I wouldn't want.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 01:43:12 pm »

I have no problem with retired numbers, provided the player means enough to an organization. WVU  has specific criteria to meet. I like the idea of it being formalized.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 05:47:55 pm »

The Bills have JUST announced they are retiring Thurman Thomas' number, and he retired back in 2000.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray