Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:56:25 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Ranking every Miami Dolphins Head Coach
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Ranking every Miami Dolphins Head Coach  (Read 3810 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 03:54:24 pm »

You just proved the counter-point.  Simpson's time in SF was so irreverent to his legacy you weren't even sure what team he played for. 

It is virtually impossible for Brady to change his legacy.  Most people consider him the greatest ever.  If he was to go 0 and whatever this season, all those same people will still consider him the greatest ever possible with the caveat that he should have recognized when it was time to quit.  There are some who don't and their is virtually nothing he could do to change their minds either.  The Joe Montana is greater because he never lost a superbowl, crowd won't change their tune in Brady is SB MVP for the next 5 years in a row.  The Otto Graham played in an era of real football crowd won't change their mind either. 

Most people consider him the greatest ever?  Maybe with a GIANT asterisk for being a dirty cheater.  Sweeping generalization from a homer Pats fan.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 08:25:28 pm »

I don't like when people say this because it isn't exactly true. Granted Brady would still be considered great but the legacy is affected. When things like this happen, it usually involved a team switch and people generally talk about the player's career in pieces. Think about Montana and how people consider his time with SF as a completely different topic than with KC.
1) Joe Montana wasn't 41 years old when he was traded to KC.  Brady will be 41 when the 2018 season starts.  Brady could lose every game and people will simply accept that he fell off the cliff that all players eventually will and is washed up now.  Do you think Peyton Manning's last year in DEN hurt his legacy?

2) Joe Montana's legacy isn't affected by his time in KC at all! Have you ever heard anyone refer to Joe Montana as a playoff choker who couldn't make it to the big game?  Of course not!  But that's the description of his career as a Chief.

Can you name one player whose legacy was negatively affected by their on-field performance while in their 40s?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:30:31 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 10:48:01 pm »

Most everyone puts an asterisk on their careers during those years you know it but just won't admit it since you got called out. Am I saying any of those guys were not incredible,  no. I'm saying that everyone remembers the fall off years so it definitely has an effect on the legacy whether people consciously accept it or not.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 01:31:49 am »

They do put an asterisk on those years.
The asterisk translates as, "This year doesn't count because this player was old and washed up."
Like I just said, no one looks at Brett Favre's last year and thinks, "This guy was overrated the whole time... he's terrible!"

It almost sounds like you believe that there are Some People Out There (but notably, not you) who would actually say, "Well, I thought Brady was the best quarterback of all time, until he decided to keep playing at 41 years old and did horribly.  Then I moved Johnny Unitas in front of him."  That isn't even remotely plausible.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 07:59:15 am »

It doesn't mean that those years don't count. That is stupid because it does count. It means those years are anomalies. They are part of the players legacy. Look at Tiger Woods. He was undeniably the best golfer by far for a long time. We don't discount these years and they don't stop him from being considered an all time great, but he is remembered for all of it just as we remember Favre for all of it. If it happens, it is part of their legacy. You just can't wipe in out of history.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 10:17:30 am »

I agree with the author's decision.  You can't fairly rank a coach until his tenure is complete, unless he's at a point (like Belichick is now) where no matter what happens going forward from today, his ranking will not be affected.

This is the line you a disputing. We don't know where Gase will fall on the list.  But if someone was to rank NE coaches, the could be confident that if they stick BB at the one spot today, there is absolutely nothing that he could do to have Parcels surpass him.  Likewise we don't know where Tanny will be ranked among Dolphin QB when he finishes his career.  however we know we're Brady will rank.  Likewise a few years ago it would have been best to leave AR off the ranking of GB QBs but by now you can say he has past Farve, and nothing he can do will change that
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:25:42 am by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 10:37:44 am »

This is the line you a disputing. We don't know where Gase will fall on the list.  But if someone was to rank NE coaches, the could be confident that if they stick BB at the one spot today, there is absolutely nothing that he could do to have Parcels surpass him.  Likewise we don't know where Tanny will be ranked among Dolphin QB when he finishes his career.  however we know we're Brady will rank.  Likewise a few years ago it would have been best to leave AR off the ranking of GB QBs but by now you can say he has past Farve, and nothing he can do will change that
I disagree. If we found out BB was a child molester he would be removed from the conversation. Joe Paterno's stock dropped tremendously once word came out about him turning the other way when one of his people were molesting boys.

Ok ... done with my exaggeration ... I agree that BB can't be unseated by any of the previous coaches just as none of the superstar athletes will be remembered by their final seasons.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 10:53:22 am »

I disagree. If we found out BB was a child molester he would be removed from the conversation. Joe Paterno's stock dropped tremendously once word came out about him turning the other way when one of his people were molesting boys.

Ok ... done with my exaggeration ... I agree that BB can't be unseated by any of the previous coaches just as none of the superstar athletes will be remembered by their final seasons.

If you were to ask someone to rank Penn State Football coaches JP would still be on the top of the list, horrible human being , but still a very successful coach.  Name the best running back the Bills have ever had......bet you just named a guy who murdered two people.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 10:55:28 am »

Paterno took a hit but rebounded similarly to Michael Jackson after death. I still don't care for either.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 10:58:15 am »

Paterno took a hit but rebounded similarly to Michael Jackson after death. I still don't care for either.

Micheal Jackson was born a poor black boy and died a wealthy white woman.  😛

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 01:24:47 pm »

If you were to ask someone to rank Penn State Football coaches JP would still be on the top of the list, horrible human being , but still a very successful coach.  Name the best running back the Bills have ever had......bet you just named a guy who murdered two people.

Actually it would be Thurman Thomas, but I get your point.

But, back to the original point I was making, you can rank Gase among historical Dolphins coaches based on his body or work so far.  He can then move up, down, or stay the same based on what he does from here forward.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray