Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:23:46 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Discussion: Should Miami Dolphins Have Cheerleaders?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Discussion: Should Miami Dolphins Have Cheerleaders?  (Read 3280 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 03:20:07 pm »

Found this in an article written by a former cheerleader. I just quoted portions but there is more https://www.cosmopolitan.com/career/a49568/nfl-cheerleader-confessions/

Weighing In

Three days before the first game, without ever having gotten my body fat or height measured, I was told that "physical fitness standards" required me to weigh no more than 122 pounds. I hadn't clocked in at that weight since puberty (I'm 5 feet 3 and really muscular).

The first time I weighed in at 127 pounds, the choreographer assured me that it was just gas. But when the scale still showed 127 pounds on game day, I was pulled from the performance, even though my family had driven eight hours from my hometown to see me cheer.

We made $6 an hour for games (10 per season) and practice (about 7 to 10 hours a week), plus $12 an hour for appearing at special events. My total earnings as a pro cheerleader in 2006 were $3,000, but after I deducted the expenses (manicures, makeup, trainers, etc.), that dropped to $300. And for what? The glory of moonwalking (no, really) for the drunk guys in the lower tiers? Some girls even wound up in the red after deducting things like plastic surgery as work-related expenses.

The Power of the Uniform

The real motive of cheering isn't money anyway—most girls, myself included, become addicted to the pseudocelebrity status that comes with those pom-poms. I did get my 15 minutes of fame, and the contagious excitement of football season makes you feel like you're a part of something huge.

I was moved by the way little girls looked up to me, but when I started to think about what I was a role model for, I realized I'd sacrificed my entire identity just to get into that uniform. And so, when it came time for a second season, I opted out. I still have close friends on the squad, and we hang out often. As they order lettuce for lunch and complain about the latest crackdown, I just grin and reach for my cheese fries."

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 02:03:21 pm »

I really struggle to have an opinion...As someone who's never been to a game in Miami, and watch the game on T.V., I could care less if we have cheerleaders...But If we have cheerleaders we should pay them, like any other Job.

The problem IMO the system is essentially been set up as Bitch about the pay/schedule/how you're treated,and we have 10 women to replace you...

Hell, if you don't want to "pay" them as a job, Why not use high school cheerleaders rotating basis  Roll Eyes

For me, I'm just as good with these dancing "Boobies"

Cheesy Grin Yep, I had to go there!  Cheesy

BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 08:19:59 am »

Is it that or is it that this is part of a now defunct tradition?  Cheerleaders used to be synonymous with marching bands.  How often do you see a pro football team with its own marching band anymore?  They did away with that part but the cheerleader squads remained. 

I would think an easier way to settle this is pay them x amount per game and then y amount for appearances.  Example there are 8 home games, we'll pay $500 per home game and then $1000 per appearance.  Then depending on how many appearances there are per year (are they for the whole squad, certain members or it rotates between them) or what they end up negotiating you can go up or down in the pricing.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 09:56:13 am »

Is it that or is it that this is part of a now defunct tradition?  Cheerleaders used to be synonymous with marching bands.  How often do you see a pro football team with its own marching band anymore?  They did away with that part but the cheerleader squads remained. 

I would think an easier way to settle this is pay them x amount per game and then y amount for appearances.  Example there are 8 home games, we'll pay $500 per home game and then $1000 per appearance.  Then depending on how many appearances there are per year (are they for the whole squad, certain members or it rotates between them) or what they end up negotiating you can go up or down in the pricing.
Spoken like someone who doesn't have season tickets. hahaha ... there are actually 10 home games. Personally I think they should be paid a salary for the year and then per Diem on travel just like players. Their contract should dictate how many appearances and other signings they are expected to attend.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 10:50:26 am »

Spoken like someone who doesn't have season tickets. hahaha ... there are actually 10 home games. Personally I think they should be paid a salary for the year and then per Diem on travel just like players. Their contract should dictate how many appearances and other signings they are expected to attend.

I say give them an hourly rate.  But make hair cuts, manicures, makeovers etc. a perk the team pays for rather than an expense the employee pays for. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 01:30:58 pm »

Whatever the pay structure the NFL league offices should step in and set a minimum, that way there is a better likelihood that they would get a fair payment.  There have been too many bad instances to leave the teams to police this on their own; some teams don't even want to be bothered with it so they subcontract it out to some private company that really mistreats the cheerleaders.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 01:56:34 pm »

Yes.  it's not even debatable

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 09:18:26 pm »

Seems to me a lot of criticism towards the NFL and cheerleaders lately.  Personally, I've never understood the very, very low pay but I do think they do a great job as ambassadors as they travel and entertainers before the game and during timeout periods. With that said they have no real impact on the game so is it worth having them?

I think we need more pictures for this discussion.  Wink Cheesy
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 09:11:20 am »

I'd rather have strippers, but beggers can't be choosers
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 12:11:03 pm »

The other option is to stop considering this a job, and treat it like a hobby.  Consider the minute men at a Patriots game.  They are not paid, they pay for their own costumes and muskets.  They are a group of guys that like revolutionary war recreation.  They tailgate before the game, they get in for free and get a sideline view of the game.  They do it because this is what they consider a fun way to spend a Sunday.  Granted there is less restrictions on what they are allowed to do on their time away, no weigh ins etc.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 08:57:49 am »

The other option is to stop considering this a job, and treat it like a hobby.  Consider the minute men at a Patriots game.  They are not paid, they pay for their own costumes and muskets.  They are a group of guys that like revolutionary war recreation.  They tailgate before the game, they get in for free and get a sideline view of the game.  They do it because this is what they consider a fun way to spend a Sunday.  Granted there is less restrictions on what they are allowed to do on their time away, no weigh ins etc.

I agree with them not being paid.  The tailgate party, free game admission and sideline view is pay enough for what they do.  But I think they should not have to pay for their costumes and muskets.  Those should be provided by the team. 

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 12:43:24 pm »

I agree with them not being paid.  The tailgate party, free game admission and sideline view is pay enough for what they do.  But I think they should not have to pay for their costumes and muskets.  Those should be provided by the team. 

The origin of the program is it was a bunch of guys who already owned muskets and uniforms who did reenactments, be silly for the team to buy extra stuff.  Now there might be some guys who do it primarily for the football games, but most guys use the stuff for other events.  For them their hobby is revolutionary reenactments. Patriots is just one venue.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray