Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:38:51 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Discussion: Should Miami Dolphins Have Cheerleaders?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Discussion: Should Miami Dolphins Have Cheerleaders?  (Read 3284 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: May 16, 2018, 02:45:48 pm »

Seems to me a lot of criticism towards the NFL and cheerleaders lately.  Personally, I've never understood the very, very low pay but I do think they do a great job as ambassadors as they travel and entertainers before the game and during timeout periods. With that said they have no real impact on the game so is it worth having them?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 04:18:38 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 04:03:00 pm »

If anyone says no after seeing those nipples, I say we ban them.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 04:17:46 pm »

Hahaha ... Mrs. CF actually took that picture. We were going through the photos later and I was like "Wow! Nice pic!!".

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 04:18:45 pm »

If I had a nipple - er - a nickel for every time you made me crack up...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 05:53:36 pm »

Yes I think they should have cheerleaders.  However, I think it's long overdue that the NFL offices come out with a set of guidelines, including minimum pay scales for games, practices, and special appearances.  There just continue to be too many instances of them being treated like serfs.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 08:14:07 pm »

Yes I think they should have cheerleaders.  However, I think it's long overdue that the NFL offices come out with a set of guidelines, including minimum pay scales for games, practices, and special appearances.  There just continue to be too many instances of them being treated like serfs.

Agreed.  Both because it is the right thing to do.  But also it is necessary to remain viable.  More women will want to be cheerleaders if it pays well, has perks and is a glamorous job.  Poor pay, draconian rules and sexual harassment are not great recruiting pitches.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 08:10:55 am »

Agreed.  Both because it is the right thing to do.  But also it is necessary to remain viable.  More women will want to be cheerleaders if it pays well, has perks and is a glamorous job.  Poor pay, draconian rules and sexual harassment are not great recruiting pitches.

I agree as well.  With all the stuff that they do, they need to be paid and treated like it's a regular job, not a side gig.  They shouldn't have to hold down another job to make ends meet.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 11:06:37 am »

They are great ambassadors for the team. It is a real shame how they get treated most of the time though. Hopefully much of it is changing for the better.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 11:21:57 am »

I agree as well.  With all the stuff that they do, they need to be paid and treated like it's a regular job, not a side gig.  They shouldn't have to hold down another job to make ends meet.

I wouldn't go that far.  It is a part-time job. Making it a full time gig might actually be detrimental to the women as it really doesn't lead to something else once they get too old to cheer.  Better that the women be college students, teachers, clerks etc that use this for some extra cash.

But they should be paid better.  Not have to pay a fee for tryouts (who else pays a fee for a job interview)have all costumes and other expenses paid for etc.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 11:55:54 am »

I wouldn't go that far.  It is a part-time job. Making it a full time gig might actually be detrimental to the women as it really doesn't lead to something else once they get too old to cheer.  Better that the women be college students, teachers, clerks etc that use this for some extra cash.

But they should be paid better.  Not have to pay a fee for tryouts (who else pays a fee for a job interview)have all costumes and other expenses paid for etc.
I wouldn't consider it a part time job because the hours vary and you have to be available. If anything ... I'd call it a seasonal job but even that seems to be stretch as they still have obligations outside of the season.

They make $1000 -$1500 per year while the mascots make $65,000 or so. Just seems crazy to me.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 12:45:10 pm »

I wouldn't consider it a part time job because the hours vary and you have to be available. If anything ... I'd call it a seasonal job but even that seems to be stretch as they still have obligations outside of the season.

They make $1000 -$1500 per year while the mascots make $65,000 or so. Just seems crazy to me.

While I agree $1000 is too little, I don't think 65k makes sense either.  Seems like a $5 to $10k job to me.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 04:56:29 pm »

I think Ross needs to sit down and have a good long think about what he (the team) need from the cheerleaders and if that is possible while providing a reasonably safe and respectful workplace. And, no, I'm not really concerned about fan behavior, although having more security at times could make sense.

If he decides that cheerleaders bring something valuable to the table within such a framework, fine. Pay them a reasonable hourly wage, plus bonuses for extra obligations.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 11:56:42 am »

Of Course they should have cheerleaders.  Every team should have cheerleaders.  They should get decent working conditions and a reasonable salary though.   That's just common sense.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 01:41:02 pm »

Miami should definitely have cheerleaders

And...Miami should definitely have their cheerleaders practice at my place...any time.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 02:39:49 pm »

While I agree $1000 is too little, I don't think 65k makes sense either.  Seems like a $5 to $10k job to me.

Sure $65K is probably very high, $5K is probably on the low side given how much practice time is involved, game time, and then depending on the particular cheerleader how many specialty events the cheerleader attends.  Just make a minimum hourly rate (let's say $15/hr) for time spent at practices, games, and other events.  Plus a per diem allowance for their job expenses like make-up and personal travel that they may have to pay for.  It really would be a miniscule amount given a team's existing operating expenses.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray