Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:49:34 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  The NFL changes kickoff rules
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Poll
Question: What do you think?
Like it
Hate it
Ok but I would make changes
Don't care

Author Topic: The NFL changes kickoff rules  (Read 3404 times)
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 08:11:31 am »

I think you are misreading. They do need 8 players in that box at kickoff. There is nothing in the rule stopping them from retreating any distance. Only forward movement.

You are correct I'm going to have to see it because in my head I'm seeing something completely different.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 01:59:56 pm »

I'd say people who care about a sport so much that they disregard what happens to the players after would have fit right in watching the gladiators.

At this time in history I think it's the players that disregard what happens to themselves.  They all know about CTE, but some players just go flying through the air headfirst to make a hit.  It's like a smoker that knows smoking causes cancer, but they do it anyways.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 09:24:01 am »

Do you really believe an ACL is the worst injury when we live in a world where CTE is causing suicides and murders?

If you care about the game of football (but not the human beings playing it) ACL is worse.  Players miss entire seasons.  CTE is rarely relevant until after the player has retired.

CTE cases will go down now that the NFL has developed a concussion protocol requiring players to sit out until they are fully healed.   You can have 25-50 concussions over the course of your career, but as long as you take down time and fully heal after each one, your brain will be none the worse for wear.  It's coming back from them too early and sustaining another one that causes CTE and other forms of brain damage. 

The problem with the rules regarding hitting in the head is now players are going to go low and hit the knees.  And an ACL tear or patella tendon tear is way worse.  That will end a player's season and quite possibly their career.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 12:08:49 pm »

No doubt they should go down. Many players are admitting that they are trying to lie to stay out of the protocol though.

I will also admit an ACL is worse short term but look at what has happened to many former players long term and tell me a little tear is worse than not being able to take care of yourself at an age where most people still do.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:13:14 pm by Phishfan » Logged
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 05:06:24 pm »

No doubt they should go down. Many players are admitting that they are trying to lie to stay out of the protocol though.

I will also admit an ACL is worse short term but look at what has happened to many former players long term and tell me a little tear is worse than not being able to take care of yourself at an age where most people still do.

If they lie, that is on them

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 03:40:15 pm »

CTE cases will go down now that the NFL has developed a concussion protocol requiring players to sit out until they are fully healed.   You can have 25-50 concussions over the course of your career, but as long as you take down time and fully heal after each one, your brain will be none the worse for wear.  It's coming back from them too early and sustaining another one that causes CTE and other forms of brain damage. 
And you know this information how exactly? I was under the impression that they still weren't sure how and what caused CTE exactly or how to prevent it. Sure there's a link between head injuries and CTE, but to say that only getting another injury before the last injury is healed is what causes CTE, I find that hard to believe they know this to be a fact.

According to the below site, it's thought that even hits that don't cause any symptoms of a concussion could still lead to CTE. If that's the case, then no the concussion protocols the NFL has in place won't prevent CTE even if they are followed appropriately.

http://stopcte.org/whats-cte/what-causes-cte/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:48:26 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray