Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:11:21 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  More non-news from around the league.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: More non-news from around the league.  (Read 10921 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 11:56:03 am »

Martin sure didn't seem that unstable when he was at Stanford.  In fact, he didn't seem particularly unstable until he became the teammate of a guy who had already been kicked off of multiple NFL teams because of his demeanor.

But Incognito was an effective offensive lineman, so all that stuff gets swept under the rug.

There seems to be two black and white views of the situation:

1. Incognito is a psychopath and Martin was a victim who but for Incognito would have been a stable and fine individual.

2. Martin was a snowflake that would failed in any situation and Incognito was an innocent scapegoat. 

I tend to think there was some of both.  Incognito is nuts and while Miami may have been his worst stop.  He had issues everywhere.  And Martin lacked coping skills. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 02:45:23 pm »

Martin definitely had issues of his own.  Many people do.
Those issues did not become debilitating until he joined the Dolphins.

And to be clear: I do not place the ultimate responsibility with Incognito or Martin.  Incognito was pointed at Martin by Jeff Ireland and directed to toughen him up, while Joe Philbin was either actively (condoning) or passively (focused ignorance) complicit.  Incognito certainly deserves some responsibility, but it's the combination of laziness and incompetence from the front office - who didn't feel like coaching Martin through his weaknesses themselves - that was the true culprit in this story.

If there is one phrase you can write on Joe Philbin's head coaching tombstone, it should be "Coaching Players Forward Through Problems To Productivity Is A Job For Somebody Else."  That is the one unifying philosophy of his approach to coaching players in Miami: shirking the responsibility of coaching players with issues, and pushing it off to the next man.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 02:52:00 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 07:58:43 pm »

Martin sure didn't seem that unstable when he was at Stanford.
By his own admission he had trouble coping in middle and high school and blamed some of that on the schools that he had been placed in by his parents as well as his own inner demons. We'll never know if things would have worked out differently for Martin if he had never been drafted by Miami, but had he gone to a different college he may have never even made it to the NFL and there's no guarantee that every other NFL locker room would have been drastically different. To place even a majority of the blame on Incognito alone is short sided at best.

I do agree with you that the Dolphin organization as a whole failed miserably with both Martin and Incognito. It was clear Incognito should never have been placed in a leadership role and it was clear that Martin was struggling and the organization either turned a blind eye to the issue or perhaps even worse actually thought they were doing the right thing.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:24:22 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 12:55:00 pm »

I do agree with you that the Dolphin organization as a whole failed miserably with both Martin and Incognito. It was clear Incognito should never have been placed in a leadership role and it was clear that Martin was struggling and the organization either turned a blind eye to the issue or perhaps even worse actually thought they were doing the right thing.

This is answer.  There is nuance in this problem.  Martin was unstable and needed help.  Incognito was unstable and not the person to provide that help.  The Dolphins were and didn't realize it.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 10:34:51 am »

This is answer.  There is nuance in this problem.  Martin was unstable and needed help.  Incognito was unstable and not the person to provide that help.  The Dolphins were and didn't realize it.

That is probably as good of an explanation as I have seen.  Sums it up pretty solidly I think.  Football and a lot of other traditionally macho endeavors are experiencing the worlds colliding phenomenon where the mentality is the same as it was 50 years ago, but society as a whole has changed to where what used to be acceptable is no longer acceptable.  My field of work is experiencing the same thing. 
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 01:10:58 pm »

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/08/nfl-richie-incognito-arrested

Richie Incognito was arrested.... Undecided...He's already prone to fly off the handle,but he was at a funeral home making plans for his Father. Undecided

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 02:42:48 pm »

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/08/nfl-richie-incognito-arrested

Richie Incognito was arrested.... Undecided...He's already prone to fly off the handle,but he was at a funeral home making plans for his Father. Undecided

He keeps it up, he'll end up in that funeral home.  To think some of my friends on Pewter Report were keen on bringing him in when he got cut.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 03:59:11 pm »

Admittedly, I was an Incognito apologist during the Martin debacle.   But dude is a nut case.  I don't envision things going well for him from this point on in life. 
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 08:05:56 am »

List of players suspended to start the 2018 season:

https://www.4for4.com/fantasy-football/2018-nfl-suspended-players

(The list appears to be continually updated)

Currently at 30 players suspended for a total of 97 games.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:08:17 am by fyo » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 11:44:07 am »

Every new thing that happens to Incognito, the legacy of Joe Philbin plummets deeper for me.  You're not responsible for the actions of another man.  But the idea that they put trust in this guy to toughen up another player shows you how far gone this organization got.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 09:37:58 pm »

It's actually tough for me to call who is the worse coach, Philbin or Cameron.  Cameron was terrible but only had one season.  Philbin had almost 4 seasons to firmly and solidly establish that he didn't catch a bad break, nor was he getting better with experience in his first HC job.  He was just consistently clueless.  He brought nothing to the table; he didn't motivate the players, he didn't have superior game strategy.  The only thing he ever did of consequence was ship out good players.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 12:59:45 pm »

Reuben Foster of the 49ers just had all of the domestic violence charges dropped, after his ex admitted that she was making shit up to go for a money grab and to hurt him for breaking up with her. He could still face discipline from the league, but since there was a strong possibility that he would get booted from the 49ers, I'll be OK with a short suspension.

Well Reuben Foster arrested again for domestic violence, the 49ers have parted ways with him.  His short NFL career is now over, teams don't want players that have repeated domestic issues, even if the first may have been somewhat fabricated.  Too bad.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 01:22:35 pm »

Well Reuben Foster arrested again for domestic violence, the 49ers have parted ways with him.  His short NFL career is now over, teams don't want players that have repeated domestic issues, even if the first may have been somewhat fabricated.  Too bad.

If this was the 90s or early 2000s, some team may have taken a shot with him on a "prove it" type deal.  But nowadays with the new awareness on domestic violence and the stance the NFL is taking, I have to agree with your prediction

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 02:27:55 pm »

Yep...always disappointing when a player flushes their Golden Ticket, just because they can't resist smacking a woman around or doing other random stupid shit.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 04:03:22 pm »

something seems fishy about this.... he was in the team hotel in Tampa when he got into an altercation with an ex-gf.  What the fuck was she doing there?  I am not excusing violence, but she went to the hotel he was staying in.  Why?  Was it to confront him? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray