Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:08:16 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Band/Musician you listen to when getting back to basics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Band/Musician you listen to when getting back to basics  (Read 2212 times)
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« on: May 24, 2018, 08:25:05 am »

I started playing guitar again after a long time away from it.   I found that in playing I ended up listening to a lot of the same stuff I did when I picked it up the first time in junior high.

1.  Cream.  Not only do I enjoy the music but most of the guitar magazines I buy have some sort of variation of Clapton as a playing lesson.
2.  The Doors.  Always found their sound unique and gravitated toward it.
3.  Buddy Holly.  One of if not the original.
4.  Neil Diamond.  Own almost every one of his albums from before 1994.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:54:35 am »

People would consider almost anything I listen to as getting back to basics. I appreciate a lot of the new music I hear on the jukebox but I can't tell you who it is nor do I make much effort to find out.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 08:58:17 am »

Johnny Cash
The Who
Tony Bennett
Frederic Chopin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 10:15:45 am »

I love classic rock to bring me back to reality. My favorite play list on my phone has lots of Zeppelin, Rush, Bob Segar, Lynyrd Skynard, Manfred Mann, Blue Oyster Cult, Tom Petty, Ozzy, Guns &Roses, Greg Allman, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Journey and the Rolling Stones. I also like bands like Styx, Boston, Kansas etc. Always makes me feel good to hear the old stuff.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 10:24:51 am »

I think it always goes back to the Beatles, for me.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 11:21:50 am »

I love classic rock to bring me back to reality. My favorite play list on my phone has lots of Zeppelin, Rush, Bob Segar, Lynyrd Skynard, Manfred Mann, Blue Oyster Cult, Tom Petty, Ozzy, Guns &Roses, Greg Allman, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Journey and the Rolling Stones. I also like bands like Styx, Boston, Kansas etc. Always makes me feel good to hear the old stuff.

You and I may disagree on pretty much all things political, but if we ever take a road trip together, I'm ok with you picking the music... Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 11:31:11 am »

Motörhead
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 02:03:52 pm »

Embarrassed Tongue Back to basics? Living here we never seemed to have left what most people are going back too Cheesy Excuse me for an overshare...

I listen to almost everything listed so far,but my problem is that stuff has been playing here constantly for as long as I can remember.Go to Auto parts store,lumber yard,flea markets,swap meets,every damn car show (that happen every weekend from March through October),a lot of stores they are playing the same classic rock stations.I can walk out my front door,and walk a block on a nice day,and probably hear one playing those classic songs near by...

I have NOTHING against any of the bands or songs,but for me,99% of them are tied to a moment in time,a memory (not all bad,not all good either).Most of the time, I don't really want to go there anymore...

So currently I try to find new stuff that just makes me feel good...

~ Currently,my new bed-buddy,she only listens to country music.Most of that stuff I'm currently listening too is Country,and I'm finding it most enjoyable,and don't have areal need for the going back.Zac Brown Band,Thomas Rhett,Locash,etc..

Tongue Embarrassed My latest earworm, now has a memory attached to it.I went to my bed-buddy's house,I walked in she told me shut up sit there till she's done watching the end of this show/movie...10 seconds later a flash of lightning,crack of thunder...then the power went out. I turned on her emergency radio,and Luke Combs -When it rains,it pours was on.... Grin

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 02:06:17 pm »

The Police
The Rolling Stones
Bruce Springsteen (more than 20 years old music)
James Taylor

Johnny Cash is kind of new for me, I've just gotten in to him the last ten years or so.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 02:08:19 pm »

The Police
The Rolling Stones
Bruce Springsteen (more than 20 years old music)
James Taylor

OK, I think some old Police (Be my Girl) and James Taylor (Fire and Rain) are going on tonight's playlist...

~ Micah Leggat
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 05:51:19 pm »

I started playing guitar again after a long time away from it.   I found that in playing I ended up listening to a lot of the same stuff I did when I picked it up the first time in junior high.

1.  Cream.  Not only do I enjoy the music but most of the guitar magazines I buy have some sort of variation of Clapton as a playing lesson.
2.  The Doors.  Always found their sound unique and gravitated toward it.
3.  Buddy Holly.  One of if not the original.
4.  Neil Diamond.  Own almost every one of his albums from before 1994.

Yeah, I've been playing since '87. Don't play much anymore, but collecting guitars and amps is kind of addictive.  Anyhow, anything guitar oriented from Hendrix to Black Sabbath to 80's hair metal. So about the mid 60's through the early 90s. Everything after that (with a few exceptions) sucks donkey ass. The '87 Whitesnake album was probably the pinnacle of music for me era wise. Not to mention, John Sykes was highly underrated. So I'm with CF as far as music goes...

Yep, all that stuff and more, haha.

BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 08:53:14 am »

Yeah, I've been playing since '87. Don't play much anymore, but collecting guitars and amps is kind of addictive. 

Do you have a favorite guitar?  I have a Squire Strat (didn't want to spend a lot of money until I knew I was going to stick with it) It's in sunburst finish BECAUSE I'M BUDDY HOLLY.  I play it through the cheapie fender 10 watt amp.

What I'd like to do is get my hands on either an Epiphone or a Gibson ES335 in Tobacco Burst or maybe red.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 07:13:58 pm »

Do you have a favorite guitar?  I have a Squire Strat (didn't want to spend a lot of money until I knew I was going to stick with it) It's in sunburst finish BECAUSE I'M BUDDY HOLLY.  I play it through the cheapie fender 10 watt amp.

What I'd like to do is get my hands on either an Epiphone or a Gibson ES335 in Tobacco Burst or maybe red.
Yeah, I like ESP/LTD, Charvel, Ibanez, Kramer, Les Paul, BC Rich, etc. Basically shredder type guitars. I don't have all those, they're just the type that I like playing. A couple weeks ago I played a Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder in lambo orange through a Boss Katana. That damn thing was awesome Evil

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray