Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:52:59 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  It ended with two bangs and a whimper.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: It ended with two bangs and a whimper.  (Read 1825 times)
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« on: May 29, 2018, 09:18:29 am »

The era known as Danica Mania is officially over. 

Turn 2.  Running outside the top ten, the back end snapped off and sent her into the outside wall and then back across the track to the inside wall.  It's one of those things that happen when you combine 230mph cars with ill handling and quirky aerodynamics.  The time needed to react and correct is sometimes in the thousandths of a second. 

I always thought it was a mistake for her to go to NASCAR.  She had plenty of talent.  But she probably had the talent and the ability to win the Indianapolis 500.  Drivers who come from open wheel, whether it's Indy/Champ Car or F1 don't normally do very well.  Tony Stewart is the exception not the rule.

The alternate universe where she had more success in NASCAR would have been huge for the sport and for racing in general.  Certainly she would have become one of the more prominent voices and more respected figures among the garage are.

There are two sporting events which transcend culture.  Indianapolis is one of them.  There are people who know nothing about racing, or cars, or watch racing with any sort of frequency, and yet they plan their whole year around this race.  A woman's face on the Borg Warner trophy?  That would have been even more special.  As in world-wide notoriety.  A part of me hopes she changes her mind.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:07:10 pm »

I'm not a big racing fan, but I'd have to say Danica was a better open wheel racer than Nascar racer, and could have been more successful on the track under that forum.  However, by going to Nascar she earned more money and gained more popularity that will keep getting her paid for years to come.  I'm a casual viewer, but I could name at least a dozen or more Nascar drivers, whereas I'd be lucky to name three open wheel drivers.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 01:18:05 pm »

I shall miss her if for no other reason to hear my wife complain about her. Guess I'll have to find someone else she hates to root for.  Evil Will Power is high on the list.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:20:52 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 04:53:44 pm »

I never really got the hate. She was an average driver but she was/is definitely qualified to compete ... and not bad to look at from an advertising stand.  There are plenty of men who are in NASCAR who haven't had her success. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 08:22:55 am »

I shall miss her if for no other reason to hear my wife complain about her. Guess I'll have to find someone else she hates to root for.  Evil Will Power is high on the list.

I used to dislike Dario Franchiti for no other reason than if he won, we had to put up with two weeks of Ashley Judd shooting her mouth off like she was doing the driving.  Thankfully they got divorced.  Now the one I like to hate the most is Helio Castroneves.  When even the Bush administration wants to lock you up for tax evasion you really must have done something stupid.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray