Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:26:59 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  BCS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: BCS  (Read 1722 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: January 30, 2019, 01:39:06 am »

This is a new term I invented.  I call it "Bad Call Syndrome".

It refers to when a fan or a fanbase is so blinded with bias that they can't accept that a call was correct even if video evidence clearly shows it was.

Examples:

Bills fans and the Music City Miracle

Raiders fans and the Tuck Rule

People on this board and the punt that Edelman never touched.

Sometimes bad call syndrome can be cured, for example, with me and the illegal bat call in the Dolphins-Patriots game several years ago, which I thought was a bad call even though the video shows he clearly batted the ball forward.   

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 02:19:04 am »

You should just call it D4L syndrome, where one fan thinks that his interpretation of a call is clearly the correct one, and everyone who disagrees is blinded by bias.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 07:24:39 am »

You should just call it D4L syndrome, where one fan thinks that his interpretation of a call is clearly the correct one, and everyone who disagrees is blinded by bias.
/thread
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 08:07:36 am »

Yeah, the fact that D4L is who started this thread is pretty hilarious.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 09:28:50 am »

You're so wrong about that call.  And you're missing the point.  It doesn't matter if he touches the ball or not.  It's like a court of law -- the burden of proof is on the prosecution.  It doesn't matter if a defendant killed someone or not.  The jury is there to determine if there is evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to prove it.

With the Edelman call, there is simply not "indisputable visual evidence" of him NOT touching the ball AKA white-space in between his hands and the ball.  Even if he didn't touch the ball (a fact I don't even grant you), it's within millimeters of his fingertips on multiple occasions  -- too close to call, at best.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 10:44:13 am »

The complete lack of visual evidence that he touched the ball from multiple angles is sufficient evidence to conclude he didn’t. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 11:32:44 am »

The complete lack of visual evidence that he touched the ball from multiple angles is sufficient evidence to conclude he didn’t. 

That's not how that rule is supposed to be interpreted.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 11:33:24 am »

Leave it to the two Patriot homers to defend that play.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 01:22:42 pm »

I'm on record with this also. Using multiple angles makes it  clear that the ball was never touched. It was indisputable.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 03:00:30 pm »

I'm on record with this also. Using multiple angles makes it  clear that the ball was never touched. It was indisputable.
I agree with Dave. There was nothing in the video evidence that CLEARLY showed the call was wrong and should have be overturned. In the absence of a clearly WRONG call the call should stand. The ball may have very well touched his fingers or may not have, but that's not a reason to overturn it. Unfortunately that's not how the rule has been interpreted and now they overrule the call even if they suspect the call may have been wrong which is the case here.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 03:44:44 pm »

I agree with Dave. There was nothing in the video evidence that CLEARLY showed the call was wrong and should have be overturned. In the absence of a clearly WRONG call the call should stand. The ball may have very well touched his fingers or may not have, but that's not a reason to overturn it. Unfortunately that's not how the rule has been interpreted and now they overrule the call even if they suspect the call may have been wrong which is the case here.

I do agree that there is more of a de novo review of the play as oppose to a highly deferential review than how the rule was written, but there that is in general and not specific to this play.  I wouldn’t characterize it as they overrule if they suspect the call was wrong.  But closer to if it more likely that the call was wrong than correct than they will frequently over rule rather than irequiring indisputablely wrong.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 01:41:40 pm »

It was clear when you make use of the multiple angles
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray