Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:34:24 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Movie Review: Solo - A Star Wars Story (2018)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: What did you think of Solo?
*****   -0 (0%)
****   -0 (0%)
***   -2 (20%)
**   -0 (0%)
*   -0 (0%)
I'd like to see it.   -4 (40%)
I'm not interested.   -4 (40%)
Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Movie Review: Solo - A Star Wars Story (2018)  (Read 3243 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: May 31, 2018, 04:22:29 pm »

Solo: A Story Wars Story (2018)

Premise: A street-smart orphan is thrust into the criminal underworld of smuggling, where he tries to balance making a name for himself with saving his neck.

Rating: Fun, but shallow.

I enjoyed this movie, but it's with caveats.  I'm not sure that it's anything more than a very paint-by-numbers heist movie.  It's fun and nostalgic, but short of "hey, remember this thing you loved?  This is where that came from", it isn't, in itself, a particularly compelling story.  But, it is fun.  It's a good time.

If you're worried about recasting the actors, don't.  Glover is great as Lando and Aldenreich does a good blend of being Han while not imitating Harrison Ford.  You won't be tricked into thinking you're watching the old guard, but they manage to channel the important parts of the characters, while not coming across as a skit.

I particularly like the new droid and her subplot, and find it the most interesting thing about the new characters.

Other than that, if you like Star Wars, you'll probably like this movie.  But don't expect to be challenged.  Just go have fun.

Edit -- Also, there is essentially an "after credits sequence" that occurs during the movie, right at the end.  I hate it.  People will love it.  I do not, because it doesn't make any sense in the film universe and causes a bunch of problems, but to discuss it would be a spoiler.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:49:25 am by Dave Gray » Logged

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 10:09:29 am »

I haven't seen it but am looking forward to it.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 04:53:10 pm »

I went last Tuesday but it was busy enough that I walked away. I'm going soon though as I have done them all in the theater. Maybe the lower expectations of this one will just allow me to sit back and enjoy it.
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 07:49:51 pm »

Edit -- Also, there is essentially an "after credits sequence" that occurs during the movie, right at the end.  I hate it.  People will love it.  I do not, because it doesn't make any sense in the film universe and causes a bunch of problems, but to discuss it would be a spoiler.

It makes sense if you pay attention to the tv shows and such.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 10:34:33 pm »

It makes sense if you pay attention to the tv shows and such.

Yes, which is partially why I hate it.  I watch all the shows, but you shouldn’t have to. 

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 10:06:21 am »

Yes, which is partially why I hate it.  I watch all the shows, but you shouldn’t have to. 

tv shows are cannon, suck it up
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 11:46:45 am »

I'm actually a bit surprised by the voting...It's something I might catch when it hits HBO,Netflix,or Amazon.The whole... We're going to branch out with the known characters,just kills it for me.It's the originals...Then...Meh... the rest of the Star wars movies

Deadpool 2 is probably the only current movie,I'd possibly consider going to a theater to watch. (and I hate superhero movies!  Cheesy )

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 02:11:31 pm »

tv shows are cannon, suck it up

I am fine that it's canon, but you can't expect an average movie-goer to have read every comic book, seen every cartoon, and read every book in order to understand major plot points of the film.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 02:02:33 pm »

Saw it on Sunday with my nephew.  "Fun, but shallow" describes it to a T.  You won't see the kind of polarized traction that you saw with Last Jedi, because there really isn't much here to object to.

I liked all the actors.  The story was fine.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray