Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:18:47 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Supreme Court rules in favor of Christian baker in same sex lawsuit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Supreme Court rules in favor of Christian baker in same sex lawsuit  (Read 8387 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2018, 06:33:55 pm »

Saw this elsewhere.....

If selling someone a cake is considered participating in someone's wedding, then isn't selling a shooter a gun participating in the murder?

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2018, 06:52:02 pm »

I took it to mean in them not making a divorce cake. Like it says "Thank God for my divorce!! "  of "Divorces Rule" or something along those lines.

He specifically said bday cake for a divorced person. It is a scenario that is so hard to imagine.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2018, 07:07:29 pm »

Saw this elsewhere.....

If selling someone a cake is considered participating in someone's wedding, then isn't selling a shooter a gun participating in the murder?

That would be a good argument except I haven't seen anyone make it. The baker hasn't said anything about being a participant in his argument from what I have seen.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 10:07:39 am »

He specifically said bday cake for a divorced person. It is a scenario that is so hard to imagine.
Hahaha ... considering half the people getting cakes are most likely divorced then it would considerably cut down their business.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 12:59:46 pm »

We were not discussing gay people in your birthday cake example. You asked about divorced people. Maybe one person in a million would over share about that when ordering a cake but for practical discussion, the bakery would never know someone is divorced when discussing a birthday cake.

I was more thinking about small, religious towns, where a church would shun you for your divorce.  ...and then other members of that community would refuse you service, using the divorce as a blanket excuse. 

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 02:00:27 pm »

Saw this elsewhere.....

Sorry ... I missed this earlier. You are only a participant if he tells you he is going to commit murder. If you then sell or give him access then you are just as guilty. I'm guessing the baker sees him making the cake the same way.

I was more thinking about small, religious towns, where a church would shun you for your divorce.  ...and then other members of that community would refuse you service, using the divorce as a blanket excuse. 
That's a Hollywood movie. I don't think that happens too often in real life.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 02:48:12 pm »

That's a Hollywood movie. I don't think that happens too often in real life.

No....not anymore, with divorce.  But it would've been the case in the 50s in Mississippi.  My Dad married a Catholic and his Baptist town weren't cool with it.  Shit is weird.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 04:03:25 pm »

I don't think much has changed in Mississippi. I have a friend who married a Baptist minisrer's daughter from there.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2018, 04:47:15 pm »

Things are fine here in Mississippi. Not much different from any other state in the deep south from what I can tell. But then again I don't really pay attention to religion, voodoo, or fairy tales too much, LMAO....

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2018, 01:37:58 pm »

One of the Justices said yesterday that they would most likely clarify the law in the case of the florist. Obviously I don't know exactly how it will go but I see it this way. If you are Jewish and went to a restaurant then they couldn't force them to serve kosher. If that same Jewish person wanted something on the menu and was denied service because they were Jewish then it would be illegal. 
Ok ... so this didn't happen. The SC sent the case of florist who refused service for a same-sex marriage back to the lower courts and asked them to revisit the case.

"In an unsigned order, the court sent the case back down to a lower court and asked it to revisit the florist's case in light of the ruling in Masterpiece Cakeshop."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/25/politics/supreme-court-flowers/index.html

I wonder what their view is of businesses who refuse service based on political affiliation ... and I'm not being a smart arse. I have to believe that since being a republican, democrat, communist etc. is not protected they are free to discriminate. If that is true ... can't a person just turn away a race and blame it on their political affilaition?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:43:37 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2018, 01:51:38 pm »

I wonder what their view is of businesses who refuse service based on political affiliation ... and I'm not being a smart arse. I have to believe that since being a republican, democrat, communist etc. is not protected they are free to discriminate. If that is true ... can't a person just turn away a race and blame it on their political affilaition?

The person needs to be a publicly political person for them to come close to getting away with that though. SHS is in front of the press every day. Not many people in the world are not that publicly identifiable.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2018, 02:00:45 pm »

Legally though .... what would separate the rights of a politician versus a public citizen? Last week Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was forced to leave a Mexican restaurant in Washington because of protesters. Mexican is the second most popular restaurant in the US. Why can't people just deny all Republicans from eating Mexican because they won't let Mexicans in illegally?

On a moral basis I truly believe the more we separate ourselves ... either by name labeling or actual separatist groupings ... we weaken our country and society as a whole. It doesn't make anything better but easily makes things worse.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2018, 02:32:46 pm »

Legally though .... what would separate the rights of a politician versus a public citizen? Last week Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was forced to leave a Mexican restaurant in Washington because of protesters. Mexican is the second most popular restaurant in the US. Why can't people just deny all Republicans from eating Mexican because they won't let Mexicans in illegally?

On a moral basis I truly believe the more we separate ourselves ... either by name labeling or actual separatist groupings ... we weaken our country and society as a whole. It doesn't make anything better but easily makes things worse.

Kristen Neilsen is not comparable.  She was not refused service.  Other customers simply voiced their dislike of a government official.  Nor was this a matter of "all Republicans"  but one particular individual with specific responsibility for a specific policy. 

SHS is a closer analogy.  She was refused service because of her employment and political views.  Be interesting case if she sues. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2018, 03:04:06 pm »

You are right  ... two different situations.  Considering the comments of people like Maxine Waters and Peter Fonda it just seems like they are encouraging hunting season on republicans in general. I don't think that is wise as the extremists on the right are going to start doing similar things and it won't be long until we are committing terrorist acts against each other. It seems like this thing is going to end badly before it ends.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:07:07 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2018, 03:10:53 pm »

It seems like this thing is going to end badly before it ends.
It's not going to end. Get your affairs in order and be prepared for the new future of this country...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray