Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:12:32 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Supreme Court rules in favor of Christian baker in same sex lawsuit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Supreme Court rules in favor of Christian baker in same sex lawsuit  (Read 8366 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2018, 04:17:38 pm »

Sorry, the irony of complaining about SHS being unable to buy a meal in a thread about conservatives fighting to make sure they can refuse service to gay people is too much for me to even manage a sarcastic response.

If SHS were a normal citizen being thrown out of a restaurant because she was a lesbian, you would be cheering "religious freedom" wildly.

Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2018, 04:25:39 pm »

You are right  ... two different situations.  Considering the comments of people like Maxine Waters and Peter Fonda it just seems like they are encouraging hunting season on republicans in general. I don't think that is wise as the extremists on the right are going to start doing similar things and it won't be long until we are committing terrorist acts against each other. It seems like this thing is going to end badly before it ends.

You mean those 2nd amendment people might try to do something? Grin Just joshing.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2018, 05:01:11 pm »

Sorry, the irony of complaining about SHS being unable to buy a meal in a thread about conservatives fighting to make sure they can refuse service to gay people is too much for me to even manage a sarcastic response.

If SHS were a normal citizen being thrown out of a restaurant because she was a lesbian, you would be cheering "religious freedom" wildly.
No, refusing SHS service is fine with me. It works both ways, anyone should be able to refuse service. However, it's the roving packs of liberals frothing at the mouth harassing people eating at restaurants and and trying to go to the movies. It's only going to be so long before one of those lefty nutballs puts their hands on someone and then gets totally fucked up in the process of their stupidity. Then they're going to be crying bloody murder like they usually do.

SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2018, 02:36:43 am »

This thread is such a good read.

Long live Justice Gorsuch.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2018, 05:03:47 am »

Just wanted to go back and point something out, since I have mostly ignored this thread:

I disagree with it but like someone else said ... when you have so many other options why would you want to force business on someone who doesn't appear to like you.

CF, do you agree or disagree with the Civil Rights Act that forced business on white proprietors who didn't appear to like black patrons?

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2018, 02:44:04 pm »

Just wanted to go back and point something out, since I have mostly ignored this thread:

CF, do you agree or disagree with the Civil Rights Act that forced business on white proprietors who didn't appear to like black patrons?
I thought I already clarified that. Yes I do. I think you should have to serve all races, all genders (both of them), all religions, all politics, and all sinners (that's all of us). I don't think you should be forced to serve something not on the menu to me, you, or to anyone else. I think the laws represent my way thinking although people want to distort them all the time.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2018, 02:47:31 am »

So you're against this ruling?  I don't understand.

It seems like you're in favor of the government forcing public businesses to serve people of all races, yet your original post seemed to imply that you were in favor of the government NOT forcing public businesses to serve people of all sexual orientations.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2018, 10:03:14 am »

So you're against this ruling?  I don't understand.

It seems like you're in favor of the government forcing public businesses to serve people of all races, yet your original post seemed to imply that you were in favor of the government NOT forcing public businesses to serve people of all sexual orientations.
I, like the Supreme Court, believe they should serve everyone whatever it is they serve. As well, I don't believe they should be forced to serve something they do not serve. Not sure how you don't understand that a gay wedding cake isn't something they serve to people. If the gay person wanted a typical wedding cake with a man/woman on top (which does not violate their religious freedom) I fully expect the courts to force them to serve it just as they would to anyone else. I also wouldn't expect them to serve me a gay wedding cake if I, as a straight white man, requested one. The baker stated numerous times they serve gay people but they couldn't make a cake that went against what they believed.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2018, 10:51:26 am »

If the gay person wanted a typical wedding cake with a man/woman on top (which does not violate their religious freedom) I fully expect the courts to force them to serve it just as they would to anyone else.
That's not how "religious freedom" works.  A baker may refuse service to any gay couple even if there are no figurines on the cake at all, or any reference to same-sex marriage.  See Fau's example below.

Years ago my wife was contacted by a gay couple of out miami. they found her through word of mouth and asked her to make them a cake for their commitment ceremony (cause weddings were still illegal) They had tried 4-5 bakeries or individuals that were referred and were turned down by all of them.

She agreed and we delivered a cake to the ceremony. What they asked for was completely normal, it was a white cake with silver edible grape decorations (the family owned a vinyard) and flowers. It made no reference to the sexual orientation of anyone. Yet they had been denied service by multiple people.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2018, 11:19:48 am »

That's not how "religious freedom" works.  A baker may refuse service to any gay couple even if there are no figurines on the cake at all, or any reference to same-sex marriage.  See Fau's example below.

Spider there are bad examples of pretty much everything out there but that does not make it legal.  I can't believe there was a federal law that said only Nevada could do sports gambling but there was until a few weeks ago. That law should have never been put into place and as such ... it was struck down allowing states to dictate if they wanted sports gambling on their own. That seems pretty easy for me to understand but apparently not so for others as it had to be challenged by New Jersey in order to be corrected.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2018, 08:35:21 am »

I keep laughing at the use of the term "gay wedding cake".   I saw that dirty, nasty, Jesus hating gay wedding cake giving a blowy to another cake instead of hammering a nice female pie like he is supposed to!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray