Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:16:36 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Anyone use an online only bank?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone use an online only bank?  (Read 1947 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: June 04, 2018, 12:03:21 pm »

So I just closed down my emergency checking account after the hoops to keep it free.The amount of deposits,and how I deposit,what I can do or don't do without getting charged...

I'm looking into some online banks, Capital One 360 Checking,and Bank5 Connect High-Interest Checking Account...

I don't know anyone that uses on online only bank.Most things that sound too good to be true,usually are...

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 01:22:52 pm »

Do they have partners that allow free ATM access? I have no experience but that would be a major roadblock for me.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 02:58:48 pm »

Like Phish, I choose my bank(s) by location of ATM machines, since I hate paying a fee to use an ATM.  I don't like the idea of taking pics of checks to deposit, etc., especially if someone is doing that with a check I gave them, because then there is a check with my information floating around if the person didn't properly dispose of it.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 04:11:34 pm »

I use Capital One 360 for my Money Market Account, but not for a checking account.  For much the same reason as the others stated.  I don't like paying fees for ATM transactions, etc.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 10:29:56 pm »

I've been reading reviews through nerdwallet,and a few other random sites.Some offer ATM reimbursement,some use "allpoint" ATM's.

The big downside I seem to be running into most of these is deposits.

My paycheck goes into my main account,for me is going to be an emergency account,I'll add money here and there,but no direct deposits.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:36:56 am »

I've been reading reviews through nerdwallet,and a few other random sites.Some offer ATM reimbursement,some use "allpoint" ATM's.

The big downside I seem to be running into most of these is deposits.

My paycheck goes into my main account,for me is going to be an emergency account,I'll add money here and there,but no direct deposits.

Some are probably more painful than others.  But with my Capital One Money Market account, we use that as essentially our emergency fund and to set aside money every month for larger expenses such as annual property taxes, etc.  My paycheck gets directly deposited into my regular bank account, but I have an automatic transfer set up so that X amount of money moves from my bank account to Capital One every month.  So at least that eliminates the need to remember to go in every month and physically do a transfer of funds.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 09:41:11 am »

We use Capital 360 for our disposable income account. We can overdraft up to $165 and it only costs us pennies a day until a deposit is made. At the same time ... we get interest on the account which pretty much offsets those pennies. We can get money from many different ATMs and it waives our fees. I typically do it at 7-11 if I need to.

The only issue I have with it is that there is no place to make an immediate deposit. We have a portion of our check automatically deposited but if we need to add money we have to write a check and make the deposit by phone which takes a couple of days to process. In the whole scheme of things it isn't a big deal.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 10:27:17 am »

i thought capitalone360 allowed for mobile deposits by taking a picture of the check
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 11:01:01 am »

I think that was what he meant by writing a check and making a deposit by phone.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 11:50:31 am »

That is how you do it but it takes time for it to go through. If I need to add cash to Wells Fargo to cover something I just go to a teller and it is available as soon as I make the transaction.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 04:43:38 pm »

I kept reading the nerdwallet account,and felt like the best one was a credit union in Wisconsin.I remembered Stroke mentioning he used a credit union in a thread ....

I ended up googling local credit unions,called them up asked some questions,leter went and joined...It's local,yet part of the credit union co-op so I can walk into any co-op credit union,and make deposits,etc..(showing them my card) Plus use any of the co-op ATMs with no charge...I have a few credit unions blocks from my house,and the one I joined is close to my house also...

I got too nervous with the "online banks" with my life not being mobile enough...(I don't like the idea of doing so much on my phone)

I was shocked at the...Nope....No fee...Nope...no worries...the laid backness?  Cheesy  of it all...

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 06:56:05 pm »

Good deal. I was going to suggest a credit union but I have not been part of one in twenty years so I wasn't sure.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray