Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:33:08 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  What do you consider a Sport?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: What do you consider a Sport?  (Read 13111 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 04:03:18 pm »

I agree with Cheerleading not being a sport, because the main purpose is to entice the fans to cheer for the sport being played.  Their once a year competition is just an ancillary part of the activity.

However, I would consider gymnastics to be a sport, even though there is subjective scoring.

Darts & video gaming also are NOT sports, they are games.
If you consider gymnastics a sport then you have to include competitive cheer. Competitive cheer has nothing to do with the rah-rah of the sidelines and everything to do with the tumbling of gymnastics, stunting and also dance. They also are in the top for serious sports injuries. At many high schools they "compete" but it isn't anywhere close to what the competitive teams are doing.

Being a football guy I had no clue but one of my daughter did it all the way through high school so I saw how tough their practices were and intense their competitions were.  It was really eye opening for me.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 10:25:02 am »

To me, golf is definitely not a sport.  It's a game.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 10:28:25 am »

To me, golf is definitely not a sport.  It's a game.
Have you ever played? If so, have you ever walked the course and played? There is definitely a physical and mental aspect to playing golf.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 10:34:01 am »

I have played golf.  Not a sport.  No defense....you can play it by yourself.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 10:50:18 am »

I have played golf.  Not a sport.  No defense....you can play it by yourself.

I can play basketball by myself...

Golf is a sport.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 01:37:50 pm »

For the golf is a sport crowd, is billiards a sport?

For the record, I call golf a sport but not billiards. I'm just curious where your lines are because the most physical thing I see isn't very physical in either. I'll counter any argument on the physical aspects of golf with the name John Daly.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:45:39 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 02:34:06 pm »

For the golf is a sport crowd, is billiards a sport?

For the record, I call golf a sport but not billiards. I'm just curious where your lines are because the most physical thing I see isn't very physical in either. I'll counter any argument on the physical aspects of golf with the name John Daly.

You ever break a sweat playing Billiards?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 03:12:24 pm »

This discussion always seems to sound like I'm insulting things that I don't consider sports.  I'm not.  I think that there are plenty of cool, worthwhile, fun, athletically challenging things that aren't sports.

Like golf.
Or surfing or weight lifting or gymnastics or running or whatever.

You cannot play basketball by yourself.  You can shoot hoops by yourself (practice).  You can play HORSE (a game) or you can play 1 on 1 (a sport).

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 03:51:47 pm »

Yes.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 05:57:38 pm »

I break a sweat standing up. Just sayin'  Evil

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 06:03:20 pm »

What I find interesting about this discussion is that most competitive video games at least hit the other points that have been made about there being an offense and a defense for example its just that it's digital rather than physical. They all are governed by a well known set of rules. There is obviously a LOT of skill involved in competitive video games and of course it does require *some* physical exertion (I have seen people sweat profusely playing video games). So while I'm not sure they should be called sports either, I think the distinction is rather pointless. It's a competition that people pay money to go sit in a stadium to watch the pros play. That seems pretty much like Baseball, Football or Basketball to me. Don't really see why we shouldn't call it a sport. Why does there need to be a distinction? The fact they are calling it an eSport is distinction enough in my book. If movies are to be believed all sports will be eSports at some point. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 06:15:48 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 09:03:29 am »

Golfers have to do calisthenics, running and weights as part of their training.  Billiard players do not.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 09:29:55 am »

Golfers have to do calisthenics, running and weights as part of their training.  Billiard players do not.
John Daily says, "Hi."

He does curls though...curls that 12oz golden nectar to his lips.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 10:05:13 am »

John Daily says, "Hi."

He does curls though...curls that 12oz golden nectar to his lips.
Guess Vince Wilfork isn't an athlete either.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 10:12:37 am »

re: e-sports

I just don't grant that they're athletic in nature.  Sure, there are physical components that require skill, but I think it's a far reach to call that athletic.  I suppose it's up to interpretation, though.  I could see some form of VR possibly being considered a sport, though.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray