Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:02:08 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  What do you consider a Sport?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: What do you consider a Sport?  (Read 12898 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2018, 11:56:50 am »

I'm in the until we are full on Holodeck VR,video games aren't sports to me...Competitive Entertainment/leisure activity...

I see most Olympic things competitions,but sometimes struggle to call them sports....Athlete...Sure.

I'm not going to attack someone for saying it's a sport or not...

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2018, 01:45:35 pm »

^ Fair enough. 

I can't really tell you what you consider sports and not.  But I require simultaneous play and defense.  Weight-lifting has neither, so it doesn't apply for me.

How about pool or bowling?  Or chess or checkers?  Because there are a lot of high school and/or colleges that have teams who play those
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:13:01 am by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2018, 06:33:05 pm »

Dave I have to agree to disagree with you on weightlifting because it's a tangible outcome.  I know when the guy before me goes how much I have to Bench/Squat/Deadlift to win.  Bodybuilding on the other hand is an athletic competition.  It's subjective and decided by judges.

Powerlifting is also decided by judges. There are rules for squat depth, bench lockout and pause on chest. Also, just because you know what a guy totals, doesn't mean you CAN lift enough to beat him. Having competed in both, I would say powerlifting/Olympic lifting is definitely "more" of a sport than bodybuilding.

That said, I can understand how people would say neither is a sport.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2019, 07:08:35 pm »

i know it is an old thread but.....

Daves definition and boxing........ A match that ends because of a knock out would be defined as a sporting event.  But one that is decided by judges (like figure skating) would not.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2019, 10:35:03 am »

No, boxing is a sport regardless.  The judges are applying points based on concrete facts on whether punches happened.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2019, 11:46:02 am »

No, boxing is a sport regardless.  The judges are applying points based on concrete facts on whether punches happened.
but it's subjective as is proven in how different the results are by each judge.  Gymnastics, dance,  and cheer leading do the same. In those ... they actually start with points and then take them away based on how well you execute them. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2019, 01:20:25 pm »

Same can be said of figure skating. 

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2019, 02:15:24 pm »

and The Wheel of Time turns
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2019, 03:26:03 pm »

^ I don't agree and see a clear difference.

You aren't rated "out of 10" in boxing.  You have punches counted and weighted and then a finite decision is made on who the winner of the round is.  There is a judgment call, but it's closer to whether or not something is pass interference or not.  There is judgment, but a referee doesn't determine that it was 6/10 pass interference.  Either it is or it is not.  So, yes -- there is judgement involved, but it is attempting to be an objective and definite yes/no to award a round.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2019, 04:51:47 pm »

Sorry but boxing is a legacy sport, it goes back to B.C. times.  If you want to argue about MMA being a sport, have at it, but boxing is definitely a sport due to its longevity.  3000 years from now I'll agree cheerleading is a sport if it's still around.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2019, 06:21:02 pm »

You aren't rated "out of 10" in boxing.  You have punches counted and weighted and then a finite decision is made on who the winner of the round is.  There is a judgment call, but it's closer to whether or not something is pass interference or not.  There is judgment, but a referee doesn't determine that it was 6/10 pass interference.  Either it is or it is not.  So, yes -- there is judgement involved, but it is attempting to be an objective and definite yes/no to award a round.

What you mean is you understand the scoring system in boxing but don’t pay enough attention to the others to understand their system, and being *I* don’t understand the scoring system it must be subjective, whereas the system *I* understand is objective because *I* understand it. 

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2019, 10:58:04 am »

^ No, it's not a matter of understanding.

I don't really understand boxing scoring anymore than I understand gymnastics.

This has nothing to do with sports that I like vs things I don't.  In fact, there are sports I dislike greatly compared to other activities I really enjoy watching, but they aren't sports.

I'd rather watch a skateboarding competition over a soccer game, but soccer is a sport and skating isn't.

Scoring aside, gymnastics doesn't have active defense, which is why I don't consider it a sport.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2019, 11:08:56 am »

I'd rather watch a skateboarding competition over a soccer game, but soccer is a sport and skating isn't

It's not a sport, it's an Exreme Sport.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2019, 02:21:15 pm »

The winner of a round in boxing gets a 10. Just saying.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2019, 02:33:15 pm »

^ Correct.  Just like a TD gets 6.

Different things get different finite points for doing different things.

But even before you get to scoring, it's about active defense.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray