Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:31:44 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  How excited are you for this year?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: How do you gauge your excitement for the upcoming NFL season.
Way more than usual.   -2 (11.1%)
A little more than usual.   -2 (11.1%)
About as much as usual.   -4 (22.2%)
A little less than usual.   -2 (11.1%)
Way less than usual.   -8 (44.4%)
Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: How excited are you for this year?  (Read 2757 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: July 18, 2018, 10:15:00 am »

And why?

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 10:44:12 am »

I'm cautiously optimistic but that's how I have entered every season in the last 10 years or so. There's always a chance something good will happen but history has shown that there is a better chance something bad will with this team.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 11:07:31 am »

Somewhere between just as optimistic and a little more optimistic. The reason is pretty simple...I expect Tannehill to play a full season (he has to at some point, right?), and a full season of Tannehill makes this a much better team, imo.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 12:44:36 pm »

I'm looking at about an 8-8 season, could go a couple games either way depending upon how things work out so hard to get too excited or too depressed about that. The playoffs are a long shot, but I'm not quite as pessimistic as the national media is about the Dolphins.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 01:54:20 pm »

I'm a little less than usual. I liked the first few draft picks but I know the team needs more than that. I am also surrounded by a number of people who are not excited at all about the season.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 01:55:17 pm »

I'm a little less than usual.  I get that we had to ditch some contracts for guys that we were paying a lot or that didn't fit the culture or that were malcontents. 

But it's hard to get excited about that.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 01:55:38 pm »

Way more optimistic than usual.  

1.  Tannehill finally gets to play behind a presumably solid offensive line
2.  Tannehill finally gets to be in an offense he knows thoroughly
3.  Drake led all RBs through the last 5 games of last year
4.  Almost all of our WR and RBs run a 4.4 forty or quicker
5.  We will have one of the best secondaries in the league (Howard, Tank/Lippett/McCain, Jones, Fitzpatrick, McDonald)
6.  A ton of young players expected to take a positive turn, assuming they do which isn't a gimme. (Godcheax or Taylor, McMillan, Harris, Tank, Tunsil, Grant, Fitzpatrick as a rookie).
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 02:13:10 pm »

The top 25 guy's on the roster have too many questions marks,Ie Injury prone,coming off injury,off bad season,underperformed,in a"prove it" years,etc,etc.The bottom half + (and practice squad) of the roster isn't good enough/young/old,injury prone themselves to start short term,or in certain sub packages,special team quality.

I feel like this team is constructed on fantasy dream that they are all going to stay healthy,and have career years (or perform higher than they ever have have in the past),of fantasy island....It's just missing Ricardo Montalbán,and Hervé Villechaize....

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 02:31:55 pm »

The top 25 guy's on the roster have too many questions marks,Ie Injury prone,coming off injury,off bad season,underperformed,in a"prove it" years,etc,etc.The bottom half + (and practice squad) of the roster isn't good enough/young/old,injury prone themselves to start short term,or in certain sub packages,special team quality.

I feel like this team is constructed on fantasy dream that they are all going to stay healthy,and have career years (or perform higher than they ever have have in the past),of fantasy island....It's just missing Ricardo Montalbán,and Hervé Villechaize....
I know I'm being homer-ish and am overly optimistic, but I don't see it this way.  Can you name some of these players you're worried about?
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 02:34:23 pm »

My excitement level varies, but right now I'm in the way less category.  Lots of turnover of key players, and a QB that realistically has not risen to the level necessary to win playoff games, and carry the team on occasion when needed.  Tannehill has gotten a slew of excuses why he hasn't made it, but a great QB would overcome those excuses.  I think the Dolphins have had a couple good drafts, and have some very good young players; and with the right circumstances could just make a huge leap forward this year, but I have a feeling it's going to be another 8-8 season.  Next up  draft a new QB, then hire a new coach, rinse and repeat.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 02:38:49 pm »

I was pretty optimistic, until Jameis got suspended

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 02:47:16 pm »

D.Parker,Amendola,Kiko Alonzo,RT J.James,RG J.Davis (Can he play like he did last year?),Sitton (only played in 13 games each of the past 2 seasons),RG Jesse Davis,Jordan Philips,LB McMillian (coming off injury and a total question mark how good is he),DE Branch, and Tannehill.

We're depending all these guy's (plus others) to perform at or above what they have,and All stay healthy.

It's my take,feelings going into training camp....

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 02:59:32 pm »

D.Parker,Amendola,Kiko Alonzo,RT J.James,RG J.Davis (Can he play like he did last year?),Sitton (only played in 13 games each of the past 2 seasons),RG Jesse Davis,Jordan Philips,LB McMillian (coming off injury and a total question mark how good is he),DE Branch, and Tannehill.

We're depending all these guy's (plus others) to perform at or above what they have,and All stay healthy.

It's my take,feelings going into training camp....
Understandable.  Parker is mostly disappointing, but can be explosive.  Amendola has a history of injury, but I don't see him being more than a chain mover.  Alonzo I heard was out of position last year bc he was covering for teammates not covering their assignment, but I wouldn't take that to the bank.  James was rated #17 last season at his position, which puts in the above average bracket, so I'm not worried about him.  Davis, you're right, can he play like he did last year?  I hope so, but we'll see.  Sitton is one of the best guards in the league when healthy.  I don't know why you're worried about his injury history, he played 13 games last year, 13 games the year before and never missed a start the 7 years before that.  Jesse Davis, Jordan Philips, and McMillan I understand, you don't know what player you're going to get, although I am very confident in McMillan.  Branch is good for depth, but that's it, his contract was a mistake.  Tannehill, this is his year.  You heard it here first, he's going to the pro bowl this year.  If he sucks again, time to find someone new, this is his last chance.

I hope you don't think I'm picking apart your post, I appreciate different perspectives and comparing them to my own. 
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 06:41:48 pm »

^ Not at all,everyone views players differently...

Even guys's I like on the team I question ...What Tunsil is going to show up this year? I like Tannehill,but the guy's around him, make it hard for me to see him not getting hurt,or being less effective.(Not to mention not reading any defenses in live action in quite awhile).Cameron Wake is this the year,he just doesn't have it in the tank?...I can see our Dime Defense being pretty darn good,as we have a number of up and coming/should be pretty good DB's.I'm scared to death our Run -D is going to be pitiful,and base defenses in general. All this off the top of my head,not researched much....

I admit,I'm over-critical of this team,because of our front office.Too many of their draft picks are inconsistent at best,and the rest of the team is bodged together in free agency/trades (questionable how they worked out,again depends on how you look at the players)

Hyper-critical of moves,and players already on the team,with All those "if"'s makes it's incredibly hard to be excited by this team... Cry Undecided

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 08:46:10 pm »

This is the most pessimistic I've been about a season in years.  The contrast from this time last year could not be more stark.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray