Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:20:55 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Proper Anthem Conduct
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Proper Anthem Conduct  (Read 32108 times)
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 01:34:02 pm »

So the Adam Silver can fine Donald Sterling and the NBA owners can vote to force him to sell his team because of a private conversation that had nothing to do with the NBA or basketball. But the NFL can't fine or suspend players for breaking a rule that impacts the fan base and that the NFL owners voted? That's non sense. You can't have it both ways.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 02:19:06 pm »

So the Adam Silver can fine Donald Sterling and the NBA owners can vote to force him to sell his team because of a private conversation that had nothing to do with the NBA or basketball. But the NFL can't fine or suspend players for breaking a rule that impacts the fan base and that the NFL owners voted? That's non sense. You can't have it both ways.

You do realize that Donald Sterling is a racist piece of shit, right?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 02:30:45 pm »

You do realize that Donald Sterling is a racist piece of shit, right?

What does that have to do with anything?

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 03:19:41 pm »

What does that have to do with anything?

People often use those they have respect for as examples in policy debates. I was just checking to see if you knew what a slimy dung worm he is and still used him as the example.

Also...I am adding "What does that have to do with anything?" to my list of phrases that make me shake my head. "Anything" always has something to do with "that," no matter what "that" is.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 03:44:53 pm »

There is no "both ways." The players and owners were in full agreement that Sterling needed to go, and Silver handled that situation to the satisfaction of the players, the owners, and the fans.  In contrast, Goodell's knuckleheaded "solution" to the anthem protests pissed off the players, didn't have full support of the owners, and didn't even manage to accomplish its most basic goal: stop Trump from bashing the NFL.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 04:23:50 am »

People often use those they have respect for as examples in policy debates. I was just checking to see if you knew what a slimy dung worm he is and still used him as the example.

Also...I am adding "What does that have to do with anything?" to my list of phrases that make me shake my head. "Anything" always has something to do with "that," no matter what "that" is.
You seem like a lonely old man, I pity you...

There is no "both ways." The players and owners were in full agreement that Sterling needed to go, and Silver handled that situation to the satisfaction of the players, the owners, and the fans.  In contrast, Goodell's knuckleheaded "solution" to the anthem protests pissed off the players, didn't have full support of the owners, and didn't even manage to accomplish its most basic goal: stop Trump from bashing the NFL.
If the majority of owners vote to support a rule then the rule should be enforced. The owners and the fans are the ones that matter. The players are paid to play a child's game, their opinion is irrelevant. Now if there is a situation that the league and owners feel negatively affects their business then they address it and vote. The majority of NBA owners felt that the Sterling situation negatively affected their business, even though it had absolutely nothing to do with their business. The NFL and majority of owners feel that the protests negatively affect their business, so they voted. The difference is that the Sterling issue had nothing to do with the NBA. The protests have everything to do with the NFL since.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 08:51:24 am »

You seem like a lonely old man, I pity you...

I rarely put any stock in the opinions of idiots, but if it makes you feel any better, I pity you as well.

~ Micah Leggat
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 09:22:56 am »

I'll be your friend Sunstroke ! so no lonely! .. i can't help with the old part tho.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 12:50:27 pm »

I rarely put any stock in the opinions of idiots, but if it makes you feel any better, I pity you as well.

Seems like anytime you reply to me you only do it to troll, name call, or belittle. I would appreciate that if you don't have anything useful and relevant to add, just don't reply to me. I have little time to go back and forth with attention seeking behavior from a geriatric with self esteem issues. Anyhow, you're a fucking idiot too, now take your denture cream and go find a friend. Bye now  Wink

By the way, I could couldn't* care less what you think about anything.

*Thanks Tenshot13

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 02:50:44 pm »

Seems like anytime you reply to me you only do it to troll, name call, or belittle. I would appreciate that if you don't have anything useful and relevant to add, just don't reply to me. I have little time to go back and forth with attention seeking behavior from a geriatric with self esteem issues. Anyhow, you're a fucking idiot too, now take your denture cream and go find a friend. Bye now  Wink

By the way, I could couldn't* care less what you think about anything.

*Thanks Tenshot13
Not going to lie, that bottom part made me literally laugh out loud, haha.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 03:40:40 pm »

Not going to lie, that bottom part made me literally laugh out loud, haha.
Repetition is how you learn in life. However, I'm sure I'll fuck it up again down the road LOL...

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 01:08:58 am »

If the majority of owners vote to support a rule then the rule should be enforced. The owners and the fans are the ones that matter. The players are paid to play a child's game, their opinion is irrelevant.
You have this exactly backwards.  On a person-by-person basis, the players are the MOST important part of the NFL.  Consider:

- If all 32 owners were replaced by 32 out of the hundreds of other rich people with the means and desire to own NFL teams, the league would go on without skipping a beat.  The owners are irrelevant; they can (and would) be replaced by any other extremely rich people... and there are a lot of those.
- The NFL could lose 100,000 fans to the XFL2 (or whatever) and it wouldn't even show up as statistical noise.  The NFL fanbase fluctuates by more than that every year.  The fans are important, but only at the scale of millions, while there are less than 2000 players in the entire league.
- If the top 500 NFL players went to the XFL2, the NFL would be crippled.  Without swift legal action to stop such a development, the league would be on the verge of an extinction event.

The idea that the players don't matter is absurd.

The difference is that the Sterling issue had nothing to do with the NBA. The protests have everything to do with the NFL since.
Neither one has anything to do with the game.  One is about racism and the other is about the national anthem.  A national anthem has nothing to do with the sport of football.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:10:46 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2018, 04:17:17 am »

You have this exactly backwards.  On a person-by-person basis, the players are the MOST important part of the NFL.  Consider:

- If all 32 owners were replaced by 32 out of the hundreds of other rich people with the means and desire to own NFL teams, the league would go on without skipping a beat.  The owners are irrelevant; they can (and would) be replaced by any other extremely rich people... and there are a lot of those.
- The NFL could lose 100,000 fans to the XFL2 (or whatever) and it wouldn't even show up as statistical noise.  The NFL fanbase fluctuates by more than that every year.  The fans are important, but only at the scale of millions, while there are less than 2000 players in the entire league.
- If the top 500 NFL players went to the XFL2, the NFL would be crippled.  Without swift legal action to stop such a development, the league would be on the verge of an extinction event.

The idea that the players don't matter is absurd.
Sure lets do away with all the rules because people want to push their political agenda while at work. Maybe next they can let Kapernick and his cronies slap large random assorted logos on their uniforms and run up and down the field during the anthem. It would be the same thing.

Neither one has anything to do with the game.  One is about racism and the other is about the national anthem.  A national anthem has nothing to do with the sport of football.
If the NFL says it's part of the game, then it's part of the game. They are in uniform and it's being broadcast as an NFL football game, therefore it is directly related to the NFL. On the other hand, Sterling being a racist POS while at home has absolutely nothing to do with the NBA. Your double standards are amusing, if not down right hilarious...

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2018, 10:04:39 pm »

The NFL does not say that the anthem is "part of the game."  Nor do they say that the halftime show is part of the game.  The idea that anything that happens on the TV while the players are in uniform is ridiculous.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 11:33:00 am »

In case anybody thought the issue was going away,,,,,,, I got bad news.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray