Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:58:18 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Proper Anthem Conduct
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Proper Anthem Conduct  (Read 31656 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 11:42:06 am »

In case anybody thought the issue was going away,,,,,,, I got bad news.
I think they lost or are losing their supporters. I know Joe Rose and now Big O is calling them out and telling them how selfish they are when they have previously backed them.  O brought up a good point. There are over 1800 players in the league right now but only a handful or so protesting which means their teammates don't agree ... or at least not enough to join them. It's nothing but a distraction to what should be a getaway from politics.

I know Trump asked that they come and visit him with a list of their concerns.  Does anyone know why no one took him up on that? I mean ... we just had a long off season.   

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump said he wants to meet with NFL players and other athletes who kneel during the National Anthem so they can recommend people they think should be pardoned due to unfair treatment by the justice system.

In what he seemingly sees a solution, President Donald Trump said he wants NFL players and other athletes who kneeled during the National Anthem
"I'm going to ask them to recommend to me people who were unfairly treated," Trump said at White House Friday. Trump's contentious relationship with the NFL reached a peak last year when he lambasted players who took a knee during the National Anthem to protest institutionalized racism and police brutality.https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/politics/trump-nfl-athletes-kneeling-pardons/index.html

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 11:49:11 am »

I know Trump asked that they come and visit him with a list of their concerns. 

If you think that Trump cares one bit about the players' "concerns," then you really don't know Trump.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 12:11:34 pm »

If you think that Trump cares one bit about the players' "concerns," then you really don't know Trump.
I don't think one way or the other. If he helps them who cares if he cares. He let out someone Kim Kardashian got someone released and I have no idea if he really cared or not.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 01:22:02 pm »

The protests weren’t asking for pardons.  The protest was over the fact that cops get away with brutality and murder.  Trump made the problem worse by pardoning Joe Arpaio.  There is absolutely no reason to meet if Trump shows no signs of even accepting there is a problem.

This would be like Trump inviting David Hogg to the White House to discuss the tax code.  While Hogg might have an opinion about the tax code, there is really no point to go unless the topic is gun control.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:44:13 pm by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 01:42:44 pm »

To those that are upset when players kneel:

Would you be OK if we just didn't play the anthem before the game at all?  To me, that's the simplest solution that doesn't disrespect anyone's views.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 02:45:12 pm »

I'm not taking one side or another.  And not that my opinion matters to anyone anyway, but this is how I feel.  I think the concerns that the "protesting" players are expressing are legit.  I have both a law enforcement and military background in my career.  There are bad cops who are racist and physically abusive as well as just harassing a-holes.  From my personal experience, they a very small percentage of LEO's.  However, law enforcement agencies should have a zero tolerance of that type of behavior and the goal should always be to not have one single officer on any department who does that.  Having said that, I feel that the protesters are going about this all wrong.  Yes, protesting during the anthem definitely brings a ton of attention to their cause.  BUT, a lot of people feel that the impression people get is that they are protesting "the flag", the country in general, etc.  I know that is not the protesters intent, but most of the country doesn't get that.  Speaking for myself, I am sympathetic to their cause as I stated earlier in this post.  I think a lot of people are sympathetic to their cause.  However, too many people are turned off by the way they are protesting to the point where folks who would otherwise be sympathetic, are not even going to listen to what they have to say because they don't like "how" they are protesting.  Yeah, I know that was rambling.  Hopefully it made sense. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 03:55:55 pm »

Two points:

1. What would you consider a proper way to carry out a protest?  Because all other forms of protest on this issue seems to be also condemned.

2.  I agree there should be zero tolerance for police abuse.  And I don’t know what percent of officers actively participate in these types of abuses, hopefully it is as you say a very small percentage. I don’t know, but I know that the number of police officers that are willing to stand up to an abusive racist cop and defend a victim of police abuse is virtually nil.  Until that changes nothing else will.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 04:12:53 pm »

I think that the vast majority of police officers are good people doing good things.  There are some that are not.

But I do feel that there is a tendency for the good ones to shield the bad ones, sometimes unintentionally....or believe the bad ones because they assume that they are good ones, like themselves. 

And the point of this protest is awareness...and it's worked.  If it means that players become divisive or unpopular or people boo or unsubscribe from Sunday ticket or whatever else they choose, so be it.  That's the cost of social justice sometimes.  People are, by and large, much more aware of institutionalized racism with things like the police department, in part by kneeling.  Kaeps out of a job, Papa John had to sell a couple fewer pizzas, etc -- but you gotta break some eggs to make an omelette.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2018, 03:00:12 am »

Here are some graphics that are relevant to the topic (the last one is particularly striking):

---
Turns out that if you asked white people in the mid-60s, the OVERWHELMING majority of them felt that MLK et al were hurting the advancement of black civil rights.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Long story short: if your civil rights protest is viewed as troublesome and inappropriate by the privileged majority who already have those rights, you are probably doing something right.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 03:10:55 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2018, 10:20:43 am »

Long story short: if your civil rights protest is viewed as troublesome and inappropriate by the privileged majority who already have those rights, you are probably doing something right.
Long story short ... if almost all of your coworkers ... including your own race ... disagree with protesting during the anthem then you are probably on the wrong side of history. 

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2018, 10:44:32 am »

Long story short:  “For Sale: Baby shoes, never worn.”

~Hemingway
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:12:10 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 11:10:13 am »

Long story short ... if almost all of your coworkers ... including your own race ... disagree with protesting during the anthem then you are probably on the wrong side of history. 

August Landmesser

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2018, 11:36:41 am »

August Landmesser

LOL ... you got me. I am obviously wrong.  Roll Eyes  I guess the fact that the kneelers are getting less and less support, rather the gaining support, should say something then. 13 people protested in some way versus over 200 on one weekend last year. Only two actually kneeled and they were wearing Dolphins jerseys. Well over 2000 players chose NOT to protest. In this day and age of protesting everything ... that speaks volumes to me.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2018, 12:00:57 pm »

LOL ... you got me. I am obviously wrong.  Roll Eyes  I guess the fact that the kneelers are getting less and less support, rather the gaining support, should say something then. 13 people protested in some way versus over 200 on one weekend last year. Only two actually kneeled and they were wearing Dolphins jerseys. Well over 2000 players chose NOT to protest. In this day and age of protesting everything ... that speaks volumes to me.

There were thousands of people at that shipyard only one choose to protest.  And confuse the idea that everyone who doesn’t protest opposes the protest.  Many are standing because they don’t want their carear cut short like Kap and Reid.  Just like many at that shipyard saluted out of fear rather than respect. 

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2018, 12:28:20 pm »

There were thousands of people at that shipyard only one choose to protest.  And confuse the idea that everyone who doesn’t protest opposes the protest.  Many are standing because they don’t want their carear cut short like Kap and Reid.  Just like many at that shipyard saluted out of fear rather than respect. 
At the risk of repeating myself I'll repost this "There are over 1800 (should have actually said over 2,100) players in the league right now but only a handful or so protesting which means their teammates don't agree ... or at least not enough to join them. While it's all fun to be dramatic and all I would be just a little cautious as to comparing Hitler's wrath to whatever the NFL decides to do .... if they even do anything. It clearly takes away from people the people who did suffer.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:30:14 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray