Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:49:01 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Proper Anthem Conduct
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Proper Anthem Conduct  (Read 32066 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2018, 06:40:54 pm »

I honestly didn't get anything from your post other than you have no point but want to keep arguing and I promise I'm not being condescending when I say that.
Let me see if I can simplify it for you:

You claimed that "almost all" the players disagree with protesting during the anthem, based solely on the fact that most did not participate in the protests.  But such a claim is empirically false, as the organization that legally represents the players has made it clear that the players support the right to protest.

So once again, you are leaning on some sort of disapproval authority that either a) factually doesn't exist (in this case, the players support the right to protest) or b) is historically common and expected for civil rights protests.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2018, 01:19:14 pm »

I have a question. Why is this thread in the Dolphins Discussion forum when there doesn't seem to be much tie in with the Dolphins. Shouldn't this topic be in the around the NFL forum?

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2018, 01:57:09 pm »

I have a question. Why is this thread in the Dolphins Discussion forum when there doesn't seem to be much tie in with the Dolphins. Shouldn't this topic be in the around the NFL forum?
It started as a result to what thew Dolphins put out in regards to their anthem policy

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2018, 01:59:57 pm »

Let me see if I can simplify it for you:

You claimed that "almost all" the players disagree with protesting during the anthem, based solely on the fact that most did not participate in the protests.  But such a claim is empirically false, as the organization that legally represents the players has made it clear that the players support the right to protest.

So once again, you are leaning on some sort of disapproval authority that either a) factually doesn't exist (in this case, the players support the right to protest) or b) is historically common and expected for civil rights protests.
It's a couple pages back so I brought it forward for you. This is the third time I said this in this thread alone.

At the risk of repeating myself I'll repost this "There are over 1800 (should have actually said over 2,100) players in the league right now but only a handful or so protesting which means their teammates don't agree ... or at least not enough to join them.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2018, 03:20:31 pm »

if you feel strongly enough about a topic that you want to protest it,  the number of people that agree or don't shouldn't make a difference at all.
that's what principles are. you do what you feel is right regardless of the noise
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2018, 04:25:24 pm »

Question for the anthem protest supporters. Should the owners of the team, team admin or coaches (their bosses) be able to tell them they cannot protest while representing the team? 

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2018, 04:29:05 pm »

It started as a result to what thew Dolphins put out in regards to their anthem policy
I realize that but the thread itself has been mostly related to the NFL as a whole and very little to do with Dolphins specifically. Heck some of it doesn't even have to do with the NFL.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:33:12 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2018, 04:45:31 pm »

I realize that but the thread itself has been mostly related to the NFL as a whole and very little to do with Dolphins specifically. Heck some of it doesn't even have to do with the NFL.
Are you surprised a topic has gone off the rails around here?   Cheesy
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2018, 05:17:04 pm »

Question for the anthem protest supporters. Should the owners of the team, team admin or coaches (their bosses) be able to tell them they cannot protest while representing the team? 

No,and my job/what my boss is not an NFL,and in no way is as comparable.I also don't care or notice it,unless the camera focuses on the people kneel,or beat writers tweet about it.

Modified to add quickly,I'd rather teams,coaches,etc,focus on winning games etc...IMO the NFL has too many B.S. rules,with the uniform code,and hate when they fine players because their socks aren't tall enough,they have a special message on their shoes etc...An "Anthem Policy" IMO is just another one of these rules that is superfluous...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 05:25:31 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2018, 08:28:10 pm »

No.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2018, 10:28:01 pm »

CF, you keep insisting that vast majority of players don't agree (enough) with the protests because they aren't protesting themselves... but as evidenced by the actions of the players' union, the players who aren't protesting DO agree that other players should be permitted to protest.  So I don't understand why you keep bringing up the number of protesting players, when it's clear that there is solidarity among the majority of the players for those who are protesting.

Depends on what the CBA says.

If the CBA allows it, then an owner should be able to fine or fire a player for protesting... or for being a Democrat... or for being a Red Sox fan... or for being from Texas.  If the CBA gives them the discretion to do so, the owner can cut a player for driving a Ford and that would be 100% legitimate.

But the NFL is a business that caters to the public, and there will be public pushback if management is disciplining players for unjust reasons.  So as an owner, you need to consider two things when making that decision:

a) Which course of action best reflects your own moral code (both in personal standards of conduct, and in individual liberty)?
b) How much money are you willing to forego to uphold your own moral code if the decision from A proves unpopular?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:36:22 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2018, 10:31:49 pm »

I'm in a group with Dave. Do away with the anthem
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2018, 10:37:40 pm »

They don't really even have to do away with the anthem.  All they have to do is return to the pre-2007 policy, where the players stay in the locker room during the anthem.

The fact that the NFL has not already done this is a level of incompetence only Roger Goodell could manage.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2018, 05:05:56 pm »

Yes, they should.  The owners have the right to disallow it.

However, if they do, they have to face the consequences of that action, including the action of players that feel that they aren't given a fair voice within the organization.  And of fans or groups or entire communities of people that might feel marginalized by that choice.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2018, 10:39:06 am »

cadet bone spur on the day his campaign manager is convicted and his attorney pleads guilty goes after ESPN for not televising the anthem.  This forced patriotism is just being used to distract.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray