Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:01:09 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What do you hold in high respect?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: What do you hold in high respect?  (Read 16140 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 03:14:00 pm »

Police officers.  They are our soldiers who don't get deployed. 

All police? Even the police who break the law? The police who misuse their authority? The police who steal from innocent people through ridiculous legal mechanisms like civil forfeiture?

In general...I hold the police in high regard, just like the military. Unfortunately, I have met enough idiots and assholes in both arenas to no longer throw a blanket of esteem on those professions.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 03:47:49 pm »

I respect the concept and authority of police.  However, that respect can be lost due to conduct.  I am always polite and cooperative with police as a starting point, but in like ....a jury situation or whatever, I wouldn't hold them or their testimony in any higher regard than anyone else.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 04:15:18 pm »

Police officers.  They are our soldiers who don't get deployed. 
Sadly, the rapidly increasing militarization of our police forces means this is all too true.

The job of our military is to destroy, conquer, or occupy.  The job of the police is supposed to be to serve and protect, yet more and more, the police behave as if they are occupying a hostile foreign nation, instead of serving the people.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 07:46:44 pm »

All police? Even the police who break the law? The police who misuse their authority? The police who steal from innocent people through ridiculous legal mechanisms like civil forfeiture?

In general...I hold the police in high regard, just like the military. Unfortunately, I have met enough idiots and assholes in both arenas to no longer throw a blanket of esteem on those professions.

I have the same mentality as you.  I hold both the police and military in high regard, but there are always bad apples that spoil the bunch.  My point is this:  Cops put their lives on the line for us just like soldiers do. 

I respect the concept and authority of police.  However, that respect can be lost due to conduct.  I am always polite and cooperative with police as a starting point, but in like ....a jury situation or whatever, I wouldn't hold them or their testimony in any higher regard than anyone else.

I'm always polite and cooperative with them as well, which is why they tend to be cool with me when I get pulled over for speeding or whatever.   A lot of times when police brutalize someone or get nasty with someone, what the cameras don't catch is that the subject was being a dick to them to begin with.  I'm not justifying police brutality by any means, but you can't be a jackass to a police officer and expect them to be polite to you in return. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:52:22 pm by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 10:47:12 pm »

We don't hold the military in high regard as a country at all.

People may carry around little fags on veterans day and and pay homage to the troops on memorial day, but that's all for show.

If we held the military in high regard for real, the families of soldiers wouldn't have to use food stamps to survive. Veterans would have a functioning VA hospital system. Mental health care would be amply provided. There wouldn't be a culture of rape and sexual assault and cover up.

So lets hold the military in high regard, for sure, but lets do it in a way that actually matters, instead of focusing on BS that doesn't make any difference.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 09:46:16 am »

Fau, you're talking about things that cost money, which is a different kind of regard.

SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 11:10:28 am »

A person's rights in the context of criminal prosecution.
God.
Wife.
Kids.
Parents.

Not in that order.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 11:23:45 am »

Sorry guys ... it really wasn't meant to be a troll question. I honestly think there are things that deserve respect not because it exists ... but because it has earned that right. Like Dave kind of confirmed ... I think there is an age gap in where that no longer exists.

For instance ... The President of the United States. I really came to dislike some things about Obama but if ever given the chance to meet him, I certainly would. I would also be cordial and not beat him up with things I disagree with him. Why? Because this is the single most important position in my country and he represents me. Not necessarily my values and goals but the fact I live in a country where we can agree to disagree. I'm proud of our freedoms and those who died for us to gain them.  I feel that if I were to publicly disrespect someone in that position then it would be a disrespect to everyone from George Washington to the guy who just died fighting for our country.

I think the same about old people, the police, politicians and I personally know some pretty shitty ones, the military (especially the greatest generation), the flag, the pledge, the national anthem, people of the church as well as many others. If any of them are shitty people I don't just lose respect for all of them.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 11:25:15 am »

We don't hold the military in high regard as a country at all.

People may carry around little fags on veterans day and and pay homage to the troops on memorial day, but that's all for show.

If we held the military in high regard for real, the families of soldiers wouldn't have to use food stamps to survive. Veterans would have a functioning VA hospital system. Mental health care would be amply provided. There wouldn't be a culture of rape and sexual assault and cover up.

So lets hold the military in high regard, for sure, but lets do it in a way that actually matters, instead of focusing on BS that doesn't make any difference.
I couldn't agree more. It does make me a little happy to see Wounded Warriors seemingly getting more sand more attention.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 11:25:24 am »

^ I feel differently about Trump.

I'd love to meet George Bush or W.  ...but Trump, I find a detestable person that I just don't respect as a human.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 11:28:12 am »

There was a question posted on a Conservative site the other day about who would you rather have dinner with. Clinton, Bush, Obama or Trump. I said that I would actually select Clinton as I thought he'd be the most fun and have the best stories! 

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2018, 11:37:17 am »

I think that Obama, W. and Clinton would all be pretty good. 

Bush Sr. seems kinda stiff.

I drink your milkshake!
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2018, 01:11:23 pm »

didn't he go skydiving in his mid-80s?
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2018, 02:47:37 pm »

I think that Obama, W. and Clinton would all be pretty good. 

You think he's stiff now, give him another couple years.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2018, 03:28:40 pm »

didn't he go skydiving in his mid-80s?

Did he also go Rocky Mountain climbing and spend 1.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Manchu?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray