Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:28:54 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Lebron James' School
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lebron James' School  (Read 1050 times)
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« on: August 07, 2018, 01:14:20 pm »

This support is unsurprising: if it's a public school, it's gonna be funded with taxes, but, I does take the wind out of some the sails, in my book.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-taxpayers-cover-most-operating-204701496.html
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 01:22:16 pm »

2 million annual donation isn't anything to sneeze at
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 01:44:08 pm »

Guy is donating $2million dollars a year.  Let’s a find reason to criticize that....

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 10:43:04 pm »

It's a public school.  The Akron school district runs it, and - like every other Akron public school - those funds come out of the taxpayer-funded education budget.  LeBron contributed $2 million and committed to contributing several million more.  The students that are attending this school are being shifted from other public schools, so the money spent on them would have been spent on them anyway... just at a different school.

I guess one could make the argument that receiving several million dollars towards a new Akron public school (that also lowers class sizes across the district) is ultimately a waste of taxpayer money... but that's kind of a dirtbag argument.  It's not like Akron public schoolchildren are flush in cushy new schools as it is, and the idea of turning down several million dollars towards a new school that the Akron school district almost certainly needs anyway is some Grover Norquist-level nonsense.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:45:12 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 03:35:26 pm »

I'm not a fan of Lebron, and I find it crappy to try and diminish his philanthropy with this type of story.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 04:12:11 pm »

Lebron did something great. Good for him.  I hope others follow suit and kids everywhere benefit.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray