Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:42:13 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Ohio State and Urban Meyer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ohio State and Urban Meyer  (Read 2057 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: August 23, 2018, 11:22:46 am »

Surprised we haven't been talking about this. I think Ohio State just sold out and they don't mind anyone else knowing. How do feel about Urban Meyer's three game suspension?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 12:09:24 pm »

Surprised we haven't been talking about this. I think Ohio State just sold out and they don't mind anyone else knowing. How do feel about Urban Meyer's three game suspension?

Ohio State proved one thing.... winning football games is more important than the integrity of the school

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 12:25:59 pm »

I 'll admit there are a lot of details that I don't know, but I do have the overview of the story. I lost respect for Meyer a long time ago. I don't know if Meyer had any legal ground to fire his assistant in the middle of a contract  (where there ever any arrests or charges) but he certainly knew about the situation and never should have kept the guy around more than legally required. OSU now goes into my list of shit schools right next to PSU.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:35:02 pm »

Four words:
"lack of institutional control"

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 12:57:15 pm »

If the NCAA sanctioned Penn State for what went down there, they'd better step in and do something similar to Ohio State

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 01:37:24 pm »

Like just about everything in life, it all comes down to money.  In big time college sports, winning = money  and money = everything.   Although it sounds distasteful, money makes the world go round and is the prime motivator in almost every aspect of life.  Politics is about power and power is about money.   Religion is about control and control is about money.  Etc etc etc.  If Ohio State was coming off of consecutive losing seasons, Urban Meyer would have been fired.  Meyer is bringing home the bacon and winning.  Meyer didn't get fired. 
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 05:41:19 pm »

I'm a bit jaded over the media's sensationalism to want to punish the person with the highest name recognition surrounding controversies like this.  The police were aware of the allegations and questioned the suspect, yet no charges were ever filed.  Those above Meyer knew of the allegations and did nothing.  They say Meyer didn't handle the situation properly, yet I've seen nothing of how he was supposed to properly handle the situation.  Was he just supposed to fire the assistant? That certainly wouldn't solve the problem, in fact it would probably make it worse.  Was he suppose to make a citizens arrest? Morally it would be great if he could have pushed the couple into getting counseling to deal with their issues, or get a divorce if they couldn't reconcile.

And to say that they valued football and money over doing the "right thing" is a joke.  The guy was a position coach and could have easily been replaced.  If it was Meyer who was the abuser, then that statement would fit; but I am sure that OSU football will be no worse off this year without Zach Smith.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 09:21:56 pm »

They say Meyer didn't handle the situation properly, yet I've seen nothing of how he was supposed to properly handle the situation.  Was he just supposed to fire the assistant? That certainly wouldn't solve the problem, in fact it would probably make it worse.
That's a strange statement, given that firing the assistant is exactly what Urban Meyer did after he was no longer able to cover this up.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 10:56:08 am »

That's a strange statement, given that firing the assistant is exactly what Urban Meyer did after he was no longer able to cover this up.
haha  ... I agree.  Everyone knows why Ohio State kept him. It's just funny to me that anyone would even try and rationalize it. I am friends with an Ohio State alumni who is conflicted. He knows he should have been fired but is not heartbroken they get to keep him.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray